2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Love my Dodge Stratus Coupe!
By Nicole on 03/27/10 22:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Dodge Stratus Coupe brand spanking new! It was one of the best decisions I've made! Those who have had problems with theirs are probably driving it like its a four wheeler. Mine always gets regular oil changes & etc. I heard after 60,000 miles the transmission goes out...uh NO, NOT TRUE AT ALL. You should keep an eye on it after that amount of miles but as long as you TAKE CARE OF YOUR CAR like you should you shouldn't have any problems! I have 106,000 miles on mine and its still running great!As far as the appearance some paint damage from too much sun exposure.

Not bad, but explore the alternatives
By kevinap2 on 03/15/10 20:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is no doubt a fun car to drive, especially for a family sedan. However, I've had to do a lot of work to it. New trans (I bought it at 53k, it now has 79k), new head gasket, new water pump, brake switch, all 4 power window regulators, an alternator, a weather strip on the top side of the windshield that came loose and flopped around, the blower motor resistor, and an intermittent rough idle that 3 new sets of plugs and two new sets of wires never fixed and is apparently unexplainable. I also have a control arm making noise right now. That said, I do enjoy driving this car... just not the frequent trips to the shop.

Worst car ever!
By sara singh on 03/08/10 08:03 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for only 7 months and it has all kinds of issues, the suspension is bad, transmission, I had to replace the axles, sway bar, tie rods,bearings, had a transmission leak, break lights,etc. the list goes on and on, it has 177,000 miles on it and it has noises everywhere! I will never get a car like that again

2004 Dodge Stratus
By No More Chryslers on 01/28/10 05:20 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle has constant over heating problem It cant be corrected for long even by the dealership(s) that it has been taken to. Constantly gets air bound and then the heater blows cold air. vehicle shuts off on it's own without warning and techs reflash computer but it doesn't correct problem.Vehicle is going in for another front end alignment after a few thousand miles. Vehicle cannot be aligned as there are no possible adjustments (per the tech) without installing a front end alignment kit at a cost of 600 dollars. This was done by a certified Chrysler tech and as I stated it going in again for an alignment. Vehicle has 36,000 miles and wouldn't think you would run into these problems.

Good.. For the most part.
By ZachJ on 01/26/10 09:54 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My strat was my first car. I got it a few months ago. I've only put about three thousand miles on it and I have to say I love it. I wasn't planning on buying a Stratus to begin with. But it was there, in my price range, looked nice, so I sat in it. Sold. Loved the inside. I took it for a test drive and fell in love with it for a second time. There are a couple flaws, but all cars have some.

Decent car, decent price...
By kaoticsundae on 10/10/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All in all, I cannot complain too much. I traded in a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix with 182,000 miles for this '04 Dodge Stratus with 74,000 miles. I have an incredibly long commute to and from work and I figured the MPG difference would pay for itself. I was wrong. The MPG's for the two cars during my ownership have been almost identical. Plus, I am a very tall man and have a wife and two kids to haul around and it is a tight squeeze for us all after a grocery store trip. The front floorboards are very spacious but the back are lacking. The handbrake is too far away for a driver that has to put the seat back a bit. I do like the 4 cupholders. Biggest complaint: the car shifts VERY ROUGHLY!!!!!!!!

The Car I Will Die With
By secretwind0w on 09/25/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Stratus because it looked like a miniature Intrepid, only cheaper. Took my first road trip in it, now i take one every 6 wks. Big trunk to put a big speaker box. I fit a lotta people in such a little car. Put a Flowmaster on it: sounds mean now. Cold-air intake makes a delightful sucking noise. Great gas mileage. Drop down backseat so you can haul 10ft pieces of wood. Never left me anywhere. Just had 4 flats, needed new car stereo, a recall on a radiator hose, and one replaced battery. Man I love this car. Great cupholders. You can fit two Sonic Route 44 drinks in em. Takes me to work and school, its like driving a little growling cloud.

Nice car for the money
By Captain Jim on 09/22/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 44,000 bought it from a rental company after a year with 26,000 miles on it. I have now had it 4 years and it has only been in the shop for regular service and one additional time for front brakes about 80 dollars. I got it for a good price and it has been perfectly reliable so far. I have the extended warranty but have never had to use it so far. I had a 30,000 plus Nissan Z and it was more fun to drive but way more expensive to maintain it was always in the shop.

No wonder Chrysler went bankrupt.
By tavella on 07/17/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

From the first day I had the car it jumped forward at a deadstop almost rearending people. PCM and TCM reprogrammed six times. Now Speedometer is off. Had a caliper bolt fall out while going 70mph on a highway. Caliper came free, locked the front passenger rim. Cheap plastic parts inside car CONTINUE to break, cheap plastic cooling housing separated and started leaking, various codes kick for no reason. A/C lines clogged and flooding passenger side. Stay away from this peice of junk.

Never Ever Buy An American Car
By Newton on 05/13/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Picked my Stratus SXT 2.7L V6 in late 2004 when the line was coming to the end of its run, it cost me $17,000. For 40,000 miles the car was fine, but suddenly everything started to go - the transmission started leaking and a pump failed, the coolant bottle ruptured, the entire brake system had to be replaced ($1,500), and the AC went out. All this on top of the cost of having to run the V6 on pure synthetic oil because of that engine's noted sludging problems. For a car that's only worth $5000 I seem to have put $2,500 into it this year alone, and all at just 47,000 miles. This is my third American car and I will never, ever buy another, they are the worst kind of unspeakable junk.