Used 2004 Dodge Stratus R/T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Great Car
By tgrbtr

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was going to just pass this car by when I was looking, I'm glad I didn't. I needed a car to go back and forth to work in and this car fits that job to a T. It's no rocket but compared to my old '99 Neon it feels like one. I really am glad I found an R/T as there don't seem to be a lot around here. I've added a few things to help out the fun factor (Brembo rotors w/ new pads, K&N filter, Tornado air foil) Can't argue with build quality as it is a Chrysler so I'll forgive some of it, but as a work car or just for running around town it's great!

Favorite Features

2.7 provides decent power. Car looks great when compared to my wife's 2004 Taurus and other '04 sedans, Brakes will absolutely pull your eye balls out with the R/T package. Room for the kids and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

You can keep the 3.0 to yourselves. Another 20 horsepower isn't going to get you much. Put on a real exhaust. The single tip needs to be bigger or have a twin sister. Do something about your transmissions. The whine can get a bit tiresome.

Back to my youth by CB
By CB

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I origianally wanted to purchase a 2003 R/T, but wanted to wait till 2006 to buy it and by then it was gone. The wife mentioned to me that the local dealer had another one, but it was a 2004 and we checked it out and drove it home. It has all the options you can get, including a 6 CD changer. I've not been sorry and not problems to date. The drive takes me back to my youth when I could hot rod around and I call this car my hot rod. For an old timer, I really love it.

Favorite Features

The power train is great, strong but not overbearing. It'll push you back into your seat for sure. The audio is second to none. Sun roof is a lot of fun too.

Suggested Improvements

Head room is a little sparse, and I wish the tilt steering wheel was different.

Ho Hum
By Dave

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Previously owned an '01 RT Coupe. It was a much superior ride. The '04 RT Sedan 5 speed manual is extremely noisy. The transmission sounds like a sewing machine, and even at 70 mph on the highway it is still prevalent. The 2.7 Magnum is efficient, but nothing to excite an enthusiast. This would be a good soccer mom car. Can't wait to be rid of it.

Favorite Features

Decent exterior looks with a set of aftermarket rims.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the 2.7 Magnum with the 3.0 liter from the coupe. Mate this with same transmission as well.

Dodge Stratus r/t
By joe

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Very good performance. Better than expeted gas mileage, (about 26 mph city). Car is admired by young people. Have not had it back to the dealer except for one minor issue. Lots of room in trunk. I like the automatic stick shift.

Favorite Features

Nice sunroof. Auto stick shift. Wheels & spoiler.

Fun to Drive
By curvy roads

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Stratus. This time I took all the options. The car is a reliable car, it is comfortable, the sound system is great, and it is so fun to drive with the V6 and the 17" wheels. It is pretty spacious inside, and the trunk space is generous (particularly with the fold down rear seat). It's not a Mercedes or BMW, but it's a good car for the $19K +/- I paid ($26K sticker).

Favorite Features

Sunroof, sound system, good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

There is some issue with engine kick when you come to a stop on occassion, really wish they could fix this. Little A/C comes out of side vents.