2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
I loved my Stratus
By texan65 on 08/02/12 21:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded in my 2004 Stratus after 7 years and 130,000 miles. I never had any major mechanical failure, just regular maintenance. It was a very reliable car. It was hands-down the best car I've ever had. I only traded it in because my family just needed something a little bigger.

Well it started off being a nice car....
By whodoctork9 on 11/13/11 00:20 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car and didn't have any trouble the first year, second year the computer was replaced and alternator and battery. Then the battery was replaced again. The car kept running the battery down so I took the alternator to a parts store to be checked, it came out ok - 4 times checked. They said the computer does the regulating for the alternator so I will have to get the computer checked AGAIN. If anyone has any ideas, please submit to me. I have checked the car with a diagnostic computer and its returning no errors. Battery light stays on when cranked.

Decent car, decent price...
By kaoticsundae on 10/10/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All in all, I cannot complain too much. I traded in a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix with 182,000 miles for this '04 Dodge Stratus with 74,000 miles. I have an incredibly long commute to and from work and I figured the MPG difference would pay for itself. I was wrong. The MPG's for the two cars during my ownership have been almost identical. Plus, I am a very tall man and have a wife and two kids to haul around and it is a tight squeeze for us all after a grocery store trip. The front floorboards are very spacious but the back are lacking. The handbrake is too far away for a driver that has to put the seat back a bit. I do like the 4 cupholders. Biggest complaint: the car shifts VERY ROUGHLY!!!!!!!!

The Car I Will Die With
By secretwind0w on 09/25/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Stratus because it looked like a miniature Intrepid, only cheaper. Took my first road trip in it, now i take one every 6 wks. Big trunk to put a big speaker box. I fit a lotta people in such a little car. Put a Flowmaster on it: sounds mean now. Cold-air intake makes a delightful sucking noise. Great gas mileage. Drop down backseat so you can haul 10ft pieces of wood. Never left me anywhere. Just had 4 flats, needed new car stereo, a recall on a radiator hose, and one replaced battery. Man I love this car. Great cupholders. You can fit two Sonic Route 44 drinks in em. Takes me to work and school, its like driving a little growling cloud.

No wonder Chrysler went bankrupt.
By tavella on 07/17/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

From the first day I had the car it jumped forward at a deadstop almost rearending people. PCM and TCM reprogrammed six times. Now Speedometer is off. Had a caliper bolt fall out while going 70mph on a highway. Caliper came free, locked the front passenger rim. Cheap plastic parts inside car CONTINUE to break, cheap plastic cooling housing separated and started leaking, various codes kick for no reason. A/C lines clogged and flooding passenger side. Stay away from this peice of junk.

Never Ever Buy An American Car
By Newton on 05/13/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Picked my Stratus SXT 2.7L V6 in late 2004 when the line was coming to the end of its run, it cost me $17,000. For 40,000 miles the car was fine, but suddenly everything started to go - the transmission started leaking and a pump failed, the coolant bottle ruptured, the entire brake system had to be replaced ($1,500), and the AC went out. All this on top of the cost of having to run the V6 on pure synthetic oil because of that engine's noted sludging problems. For a car that's only worth $5000 I seem to have put $2,500 into it this year alone, and all at just 47,000 miles. This is my third American car and I will never, ever buy another, they are the worst kind of unspeakable junk.

Thought I liked it
By Amanda on 08/13/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I liked this car at first. But I wish I would have bought something different. It's been an okay car, but when it shifts into different gears, you can literally feel the whole car shift as it is not very smooth. Also, recently I had to take it in because the back strut went bad and they said when they hoisted the car up on the lift it was so rusted that it had disconnected from the car itself. My brother-in-law who is a very honest car repairman said he didn't feel safe driving that "tin can" around. Also, it's shocks aren't very good compared to my husband's Ford Taurus.

my first dodge
By miguel on 06/04/08 21:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very quiet, with new rotor-and brakes, I know I am good for the next 40,000 miles, next challenge what about oil, will burn more?

Has been an excellent buy!
By stevcaro on 12/02/06 17:48 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this for economical transportation. Has given us no problems and is great on gas. Had a new 2002 Altima that was more powerful, but as far as the rest, can not really tell much difference. Ride quality is about the same, road noise is less in the Stratus but that could be the different tires. Its not a Lexus, but for my money it a great car!

I Love My Stratus!
By Chris on 06/15/06 23:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I will admit, when I bought my Stratus, I was not pleased at the fact that I was going from a V-6 1997 Toyota Avalon to this four cylinder car, but after about a month of ownership, I fell in love. With the gas prices the way they are, my Stratus sips on gas and has adequate enough power to roll with the big boys! It's quite fun to drive, it has double wishbone suspension, so it's nice on curvy roads. It has a humungous trunk, 6 x 9 speakers in the front and the rear (no need to put twelves in the trunk). And it's pretty to look at, too.