Used 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

I loved my Stratus
By texan65

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded in my 2004 Stratus after 7 years and 130,000 miles. I never had any major mechanical failure, just regular maintenance. It was a very reliable car. It was hands-down the best car I've ever had. I only traded it in because my family just needed something a little bigger.

Favorite Features

When I bought it, I was a single mom with a 5 year old. It was the perfect size for us. I'm a little on the short side, and I had a better view in this car than most.

Well it started off being a nice car....
By whodoctork9

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car and didn't have any trouble the first year, second year the computer was replaced and alternator and battery. Then the battery was replaced again. The car kept running the battery down so I took the alternator to a parts store to be checked, it came out ok - 4 times checked. They said the computer does the regulating for the alternator so I will have to get the computer checked AGAIN. If anyone has any ideas, please submit to me. I have checked the car with a diagnostic computer and its returning no errors. Battery light stays on when cranked.

Favorite Features

Fast car, decent acceleration. Good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the old way of charging a vehicle cuz this stinks. Gas mileage should be higher, I only get 25 mpg and I have a 1995 Chevy S-10 that gets almost 30 mpg.

Decent car, decent price...
By kaoticsundae

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All in all, I cannot complain too much. I traded in a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix with 182,000 miles for this '04 Dodge Stratus with 74,000 miles. I have an incredibly long commute to and from work and I figured the MPG difference would pay for itself. I was wrong. The MPG's for the two cars during my ownership have been almost identical. Plus, I am a very tall man and have a wife and two kids to haul around and it is a tight squeeze for us all after a grocery store trip. The front floorboards are very spacious but the back are lacking. The handbrake is too far away for a driver that has to put the seat back a bit. I do like the 4 cupholders. Biggest complaint: the car shifts VERY ROUGHLY!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

4 cupholders, presence of a handbrake, instrument panel layout and when illuminated, keyless entry, and fascia of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

smoother shifting, better MPG's(I know its possible, this is a 4 cyl. after all!), little more roomy in the back, move handbrake to opposite side of shift knob.

The Car I Will Die With
By secretwind0w

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Stratus because it looked like a miniature Intrepid, only cheaper. Took my first road trip in it, now i take one every 6 wks. Big trunk to put a big speaker box. I fit a lotta people in such a little car. Put a Flowmaster on it: sounds mean now. Cold-air intake makes a delightful sucking noise. Great gas mileage. Drop down backseat so you can haul 10ft pieces of wood. Never left me anywhere. Just had 4 flats, needed new car stereo, a recall on a radiator hose, and one replaced battery. Man I love this car. Great cupholders. You can fit two Sonic Route 44 drinks in em. Takes me to work and school, its like driving a little growling cloud.

Favorite Features

Cup holders, Drop down backseat, bucket seats. Big dash to fit a large pizza box

Suggested Improvements

Carbon fiber or brushed aluminum interior please.

No wonder Chrysler went bankrupt.
By tavella

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

From the first day I had the car it jumped forward at a deadstop almost rearending people. PCM and TCM reprogrammed six times. Now Speedometer is off. Had a caliper bolt fall out while going 70mph on a highway. Caliper came free, locked the front passenger rim. Cheap plastic parts inside car CONTINUE to break, cheap plastic cooling housing separated and started leaking, various codes kick for no reason. A/C lines clogged and flooding passenger side. Stay away from this peice of junk.

Favorite Features

After I added the Auto-Stick and spoiler, the car was decent.

Suggested Improvements

PLASTIC PARTS THAT DON'T BREAK! My door panels, dash, radio/air bezel, trim peices, et. CHEAP THIN PLASTIC!