Used 2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Most Helpful|
Think again before buying this nightmare
By estella2

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Dodge Stratus SE V6 2.7L. Bought this car in 2004 and within two years it needed a new transmission and battery. The battery is difficult to change yourself because it's placed behind the driverside tire underneath the panel. The "recommended spark plugs" not so good, causes to many misfires. The anti-freeze reservior is of poor quality and needed replacing because it started to melt with the recommended antifreeze. The fule filter needed replacing twice. Very poor performance driving this car uphill not a lot of power uphill. With all the problems I had with this car I will never buy another dodge vehicle again.

Suggested Improvements

Reservior needs improvement along with placement of the battery. Fule filter needs work. Quality of spark plugs need work as well.

Love My Stratus
By davinshi

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with less than 70,000 miles on it. It has TONS of power, hugs the curves, and rides smooth. I might say it has too much power-I'm always having to slow it down on the freeway, because it's up to 80mph and over without even feeling like it. Looks sporty and gets alot of compliments. It does make a bit of a whining noise on hills, but there's no decrease in power at all. My only issue with it is the cab forward design makes stop lights hard to see sometimes-I have to lean forward. But a small inconvenience compared to how amazing this car drives and handles. And I got my first speeding ticket in it!

Favorite Features

Lots of power, handles great, holds the road well, even in bad driving conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a bit awkward to use, especially with tall containers.

Did like it, now HATE it
By Bear

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When we first bought the car it was wonderful. I loved it but the mileage absolutely stinks. There is no way I get even 20 mpg with this thing. I drive 37 miles one way and have to fill up at least twice a week. Then the transmission went out, and within 3 months the timing belt broke. Now I only have my A/C working when it is on 3 or 4, but nothing on 1 or 2. And to top that off the car makes lots of noise when stopping or starting. Sounds like the whole car is about to come off it's frame. My opinion, I would never get another Dodge Stratus again.

Favorite Features

Use to be a smooth ride, and loved it. I think the only thing I like about it right now is when it is in the garage and not running it is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Need to get the mpg up lots more. I don't even get 15 mpg with my car and I use the requested additives and the appropriate gas. This car actually needs lots of improvements.

Well it started off being a nice car....
By whodoctork9

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car and didn't have any trouble the first year, second year the computer was replaced and alternator and battery. Then the battery was replaced again. The car kept running the battery down so I took the alternator to a parts store to be checked, it came out ok - 4 times checked. They said the computer does the regulating for the alternator so I will have to get the computer checked AGAIN. If anyone has any ideas, please submit to me. I have checked the car with a diagnostic computer and its returning no errors. Battery light stays on when cranked.

Favorite Features

Fast car, decent acceleration. Good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the old way of charging a vehicle cuz this stinks. Gas mileage should be higher, I only get 25 mpg and I have a 1995 Chevy S-10 that gets almost 30 mpg.

I loved my Stratus
By texan65

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded in my 2004 Stratus after 7 years and 130,000 miles. I never had any major mechanical failure, just regular maintenance. It was a very reliable car. It was hands-down the best car I've ever had. I only traded it in because my family just needed something a little bigger.

Favorite Features

When I bought it, I was a single mom with a 5 year old. It was the perfect size for us. I'm a little on the short side, and I had a better view in this car than most.