2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Think again before buying this nightmare
By estella2 on 02/19/14 19:16 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Dodge Stratus SE V6 2.7L. Bought this car in 2004 and within two years it needed a new transmission and battery. The battery is difficult to change yourself because it's placed behind the driverside tire underneath the panel. The "recommended spark plugs" not so good, causes to many misfires. The anti-freeze reservior is of poor quality and needed replacing because it started to melt with the recommended antifreeze. The fule filter needed replacing twice. Very poor performance driving this car uphill not a lot of power uphill. With all the problems I had with this car I will never buy another dodge vehicle again.

I loved my Stratus
By texan65 on 08/02/12 21:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded in my 2004 Stratus after 7 years and 130,000 miles. I never had any major mechanical failure, just regular maintenance. It was a very reliable car. It was hands-down the best car I've ever had. I only traded it in because my family just needed something a little bigger.

Love My Stratus
By davinshi on 03/25/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with less than 70,000 miles on it. It has TONS of power, hugs the curves, and rides smooth. I might say it has too much power-I'm always having to slow it down on the freeway, because it's up to 80mph and over without even feeling like it. Looks sporty and gets alot of compliments. It does make a bit of a whining noise on hills, but there's no decrease in power at all. My only issue with it is the cab forward design makes stop lights hard to see sometimes-I have to lean forward. But a small inconvenience compared to how amazing this car drives and handles. And I got my first speeding ticket in it!

Well it started off being a nice car....
By whodoctork9 on 11/13/11 00:20 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car and didn't have any trouble the first year, second year the computer was replaced and alternator and battery. Then the battery was replaced again. The car kept running the battery down so I took the alternator to a parts store to be checked, it came out ok - 4 times checked. They said the computer does the regulating for the alternator so I will have to get the computer checked AGAIN. If anyone has any ideas, please submit to me. I have checked the car with a diagnostic computer and its returning no errors. Battery light stays on when cranked.

Did like it, now HATE it
By Bear on 07/31/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When we first bought the car it was wonderful. I loved it but the mileage absolutely stinks. There is no way I get even 20 mpg with this thing. I drive 37 miles one way and have to fill up at least twice a week. Then the transmission went out, and within 3 months the timing belt broke. Now I only have my A/C working when it is on 3 or 4, but nothing on 1 or 2. And to top that off the car makes lots of noise when stopping or starting. Sounds like the whole car is about to come off it's frame. My opinion, I would never get another Dodge Stratus again.

Not bad, but explore the alternatives
By kevinap2 on 03/15/10 20:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is no doubt a fun car to drive, especially for a family sedan. However, I've had to do a lot of work to it. New trans (I bought it at 53k, it now has 79k), new head gasket, new water pump, brake switch, all 4 power window regulators, an alternator, a weather strip on the top side of the windshield that came loose and flopped around, the blower motor resistor, and an intermittent rough idle that 3 new sets of plugs and two new sets of wires never fixed and is apparently unexplainable. I also have a control arm making noise right now. That said, I do enjoy driving this car... just not the frequent trips to the shop.

Worst car ever!
By sara singh on 03/08/10 08:03 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for only 7 months and it has all kinds of issues, the suspension is bad, transmission, I had to replace the axles, sway bar, tie rods,bearings, had a transmission leak, break lights,etc. the list goes on and on, it has 177,000 miles on it and it has noises everywhere! I will never get a car like that again

2004 Dodge Stratus
By No More Chryslers on 01/28/10 05:20 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle has constant over heating problem It cant be corrected for long even by the dealership(s) that it has been taken to. Constantly gets air bound and then the heater blows cold air. vehicle shuts off on it's own without warning and techs reflash computer but it doesn't correct problem.Vehicle is going in for another front end alignment after a few thousand miles. Vehicle cannot be aligned as there are no possible adjustments (per the tech) without installing a front end alignment kit at a cost of 600 dollars. This was done by a certified Chrysler tech and as I stated it going in again for an alignment. Vehicle has 36,000 miles and wouldn't think you would run into these problems.

Good.. For the most part.
By ZachJ on 01/26/10 09:54 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My strat was my first car. I got it a few months ago. I've only put about three thousand miles on it and I have to say I love it. I wasn't planning on buying a Stratus to begin with. But it was there, in my price range, looked nice, so I sat in it. Sold. Loved the inside. I took it for a test drive and fell in love with it for a second time. There are a couple flaws, but all cars have some.

Decent car, decent price...
By kaoticsundae on 10/10/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

All in all, I cannot complain too much. I traded in a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix with 182,000 miles for this '04 Dodge Stratus with 74,000 miles. I have an incredibly long commute to and from work and I figured the MPG difference would pay for itself. I was wrong. The MPG's for the two cars during my ownership have been almost identical. Plus, I am a very tall man and have a wife and two kids to haul around and it is a tight squeeze for us all after a grocery store trip. The front floorboards are very spacious but the back are lacking. The handbrake is too far away for a driver that has to put the seat back a bit. I do like the 4 cupholders. Biggest complaint: the car shifts VERY ROUGHLY!!!!!!!!