Used 2004 Dodge Stratus Coupe Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Stratus Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Great Starter Car
By Haley

2004 Dodge Stratus Coupe SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car after my '98 Plymouth Neon was totaled. She had been through 2 or 3 owners, she has a salvage title, and she had lived in Upstate New York all her life. I paid $2,250, 72,000 miles on the odometer. The frame is still in good condition, unfortunately all the parts are just about rusted to nothing. I've put a decent amount of work into this car, replacing the entirety of the suspension and steering system which piece by piece has started failing, all after putting about 60,000 miles on her. The only parts I have not replaced yet are the control arms which are still holding up well. The engine runs extremely well and for being a four cylinder it has some decent get up and go, especially in comparison to my last car. The steering is smooth, the seating is comfortable, and overall I have found her to be a reliable car. I've driven her back and forth from Texas to New York 3 times now, and plan on driving her to Arizona from Texas next month. The dash is pushed up and not on properly, which I'm not sure if it is due to the heat or the previous damage she took. It's comfortable for me and easy to get into, although she sits low. Plenty of space in front and in back, friends have told me it's a spacious coupe that gives more leg room than their cars. Perfect engine and perfect transmission, it's a sporty looking little cruiser that makes a great first car.

Excellent catch!!!
By rodris@mail.ru

2004 Dodge Stratus Coupe SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car with 90,000 miles on it and today it has 132,000 miles. The repairs are new battery, new engine serpentine belt, oxygen sensor, regular synthetic oil changes and ceramic brakes. The car runs like a champ!!! Excellent buy!

I will miss this car!
By bgoodrich

2004 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this car for 7 years and put 165,000 miles on it. I never had a mechanical problem with it ever. It was fast enough, but what I liked the most was the handling. I never thought there was a curve I couldn't take without minimal braking. This car alo had exceptional top-end passing ability. If you ever neede to go from 70-80 mph quickly, you could depend on the Stratus R/T to do it. I got a lot of compliments on the car's appearance and it was nice to be the only person I know to have one. I can't believe they didn't sell more of these. I really can't put into words how much I enjoyed this car. I will miss her greatly.

Handling, top-end acceleration, Styling

Seats could get uncomfortable during long drives of more than 2 hours. I also would've liked to have seen more side bolstering in the bucket seats also.

Eight years and still glad I bought it!
By 04stratusrt

2004 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2004 Stratus R/T coupe brand new and have not regretted it.
The V6 provides plenty of power and I get 28 to 30 mpg on the highway!
Great looking car with zero mechanical issues.

Styling, V6 engine, gas mileage and Infinity stereo

Great car for great value
By rj45

2004 Dodge Stratus Coupe SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first car and I didn't buy it too long ago.
Has 84,000 miles and in good condition! Only cost me $4,500. Also came with a fresh set of tires.
The car is an overall very good buy.
It rides smoothly and has that "low" feeling.
There is a limited amount of body roll while turning due to a stiffer suspension.
Even though it's a coupe, the back seat is rather large and very comfortable.
The trunk space is also pretty large, it managed to fit over $160 worth of groceries.
Though the car is cheap, reliable, and sporty, the build quality isn't spot on.
The front and rear bumper is made of cheap plastic, which is a little flimsy.
The dashboard is rubber and bulges out when hot.

The interior of the car is spacious along with the trunk. The back seats fold down. Power windows, locks, and mirrors, cruise control. Has a chip key so nobody can make a copy and start the car with it. Soft seats. Excellent around turns. Gas mileage is decent (28-30). Has a lot of power for a 4-cylinder. Looks, feels, and acts likes a sports car. Comparable to the Mitsubishi Eclipse (which is actually the sister vehicle). HAS a Mitsubishi motor.

Replace the cheap plastic bumpers with metal. Use better materials for the dashboard, rubber swells under heat and the whole dashboard will push up about an inch. The check engine light seems to come on for no reason at all.