Used 2004 Dodge Stratus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Think again before buying this nightmare
By estella2

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Dodge Stratus SE V6 2.7L. Bought this car in 2004 and within two years it needed a new transmission and battery. The battery is difficult to change yourself because it's placed behind the driverside tire underneath the panel. The "recommended spark plugs" not so good, causes to many misfires. The anti-freeze reservior is of poor quality and needed replacing because it started to melt with the recommended antifreeze. The fule filter needed replacing twice. Very poor performance driving this car uphill not a lot of power uphill. With all the problems I had with this car I will never buy another dodge vehicle again.

Suggested Improvements

Reservior needs improvement along with placement of the battery. Fule filter needs work. Quality of spark plugs need work as well.

Love My Stratus
By davinshi

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with less than 70,000 miles on it. It has TONS of power, hugs the curves, and rides smooth. I might say it has too much power-I'm always having to slow it down on the freeway, because it's up to 80mph and over without even feeling like it. Looks sporty and gets alot of compliments. It does make a bit of a whining noise on hills, but there's no decrease in power at all. My only issue with it is the cab forward design makes stop lights hard to see sometimes-I have to lean forward. But a small inconvenience compared to how amazing this car drives and handles. And I got my first speeding ticket in it!

Favorite Features

Lots of power, handles great, holds the road well, even in bad driving conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a bit awkward to use, especially with tall containers.

Not bad, but explore the alternatives
By kevinap2

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is no doubt a fun car to drive, especially for a family sedan. However, I've had to do a lot of work to it. New trans (I bought it at 53k, it now has 79k), new head gasket, new water pump, brake switch, all 4 power window regulators, an alternator, a weather strip on the top side of the windshield that came loose and flopped around, the blower motor resistor, and an intermittent rough idle that 3 new sets of plugs and two new sets of wires never fixed and is apparently unexplainable. I also have a control arm making noise right now. That said, I do enjoy driving this car... just not the frequent trips to the shop.

Favorite Features

Driving dynamics, interior ergonomics. You WILL fall in love with the way it drives,

Suggested Improvements

More durable parts. With cars like this, there's no doubt why Chrysler is where it is right now.

Worst car ever!
By sara singh

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for only 7 months and it has all kinds of issues, the suspension is bad, transmission, I had to replace the axles, sway bar, tie rods,bearings, had a transmission leak, break lights,etc. the list goes on and on, it has 177,000 miles on it and it has noises everywhere! I will never get a car like that again

Favorite Features

still cant find any

Suggested Improvements

everything in it, MAKE better cars

Nice car for the money
By Captain Jim

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 44,000 bought it from a rental company after a year with 26,000 miles on it. I have now had it 4 years and it has only been in the shop for regular service and one additional time for front brakes about 80 dollars. I got it for a good price and it has been perfectly reliable so far. I have the extended warranty but have never had to use it so far. I had a 30,000 plus Nissan Z and it was more fun to drive but way more expensive to maintain it was always in the shop.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, nice ride, nice car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Build them all as good as mine you will be fine.