2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Think again before buying this nightmare
By estella2 on 02/19/14 19:16 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Dodge Stratus SE V6 2.7L. Bought this car in 2004 and within two years it needed a new transmission and battery. The battery is difficult to change yourself because it's placed behind the driverside tire underneath the panel. The "recommended spark plugs" not so good, causes to many misfires. The anti-freeze reservior is of poor quality and needed replacing because it started to melt with the recommended antifreeze. The fule filter needed replacing twice. Very poor performance driving this car uphill not a lot of power uphill. With all the problems I had with this car I will never buy another dodge vehicle again.

Love My Stratus
By davinshi on 03/25/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with less than 70,000 miles on it. It has TONS of power, hugs the curves, and rides smooth. I might say it has too much power-I'm always having to slow it down on the freeway, because it's up to 80mph and over without even feeling like it. Looks sporty and gets alot of compliments. It does make a bit of a whining noise on hills, but there's no decrease in power at all. My only issue with it is the cab forward design makes stop lights hard to see sometimes-I have to lean forward. But a small inconvenience compared to how amazing this car drives and handles. And I got my first speeding ticket in it!

Not bad, but explore the alternatives
By kevinap2 on 03/15/10 20:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is no doubt a fun car to drive, especially for a family sedan. However, I've had to do a lot of work to it. New trans (I bought it at 53k, it now has 79k), new head gasket, new water pump, brake switch, all 4 power window regulators, an alternator, a weather strip on the top side of the windshield that came loose and flopped around, the blower motor resistor, and an intermittent rough idle that 3 new sets of plugs and two new sets of wires never fixed and is apparently unexplainable. I also have a control arm making noise right now. That said, I do enjoy driving this car... just not the frequent trips to the shop.

Worst car ever!
By sara singh on 03/08/10 08:03 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for only 7 months and it has all kinds of issues, the suspension is bad, transmission, I had to replace the axles, sway bar, tie rods,bearings, had a transmission leak, break lights,etc. the list goes on and on, it has 177,000 miles on it and it has noises everywhere! I will never get a car like that again

Nice car for the money
By Captain Jim on 09/22/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 44,000 bought it from a rental company after a year with 26,000 miles on it. I have now had it 4 years and it has only been in the shop for regular service and one additional time for front brakes about 80 dollars. I got it for a good price and it has been perfectly reliable so far. I have the extended warranty but have never had to use it so far. I had a 30,000 plus Nissan Z and it was more fun to drive but way more expensive to maintain it was always in the shop.

Pretty Darn Proud
By Sarah on 04/02/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! I've had this car since 2006 and I love it. It couldn't be more reliable, I believe if you take care of your car you won't have any problems. I love to travel and my parents don't have to worry when I take my car. The engine still looks brand new and it has 47,000 some miles and not a hint of a problem. The gas mileage is pretty good, phenominal on the highway. The speaker system is awesome and the exterior has a little bit of a younger look than some of the other cars out there. Great for a college kid or a family. Here's to more trips and a great car!!!

Wife's car
By TomK on 02/18/09 14:59 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just keeps running with very few problems. The only bad problem we had was the disc brake rotors. Had to finally replace them with good ones! Other than that, it is a very dependable vehicle!

About my car.
By Desirae on 10/10/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The stratus was my first car I had purchased, I loved it when I first sat in it, I had ordered it from another State, it travels nice long distances and flies up hill! The only thing that did something really weird is that it would accelerate on its own, almost had me cause an accident! It's done that several times, and the problems with the engine light going on and off, something to do with an oxygen sensor, and whenever you turn the wheel sharp it would make a clicking sound, brakes may need to be replaced already!

Surprisingly Good Car
By chewmill on 10/07/08 05:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a program car in 2005. 28-31 mpg hwy. Driven for 82,000 miles of its 100,800 and only put money into oil changes and tires. Problem just arose with engine stutter. Probably bad plug wires from the auto store since I replaced plugs and coil assembly already. Body has held up and interior looks great. Not a quiet car at 75 mph. Lots of road noise. The 4 cylinder engine is weak with full load, but fine for 2 people and luggage.

blah...
By SusanG on 06/30/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Stratus as a graduation/wedding gift from my parents, and it was great for 3 years. Then, this year, I've spent more than $2000 in repairs, including transmission work. The brakes were replaced three months ago, and they're already showing moderate wear even with a gentle touch. The bleeder hose on the coolant system just "wore out" and my car overheated. I'm considering dumping the car before it costs more money.