2004 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Think again before buying this nightmare
By estella2 on 02/19/14 19:16 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Dodge Stratus SE V6 2.7L. Bought this car in 2004 and within two years it needed a new transmission and battery. The battery is difficult to change yourself because it's placed behind the driverside tire underneath the panel. The "recommended spark plugs" not so good, causes to many misfires. The anti-freeze reservior is of poor quality and needed replacing because it started to melt with the recommended antifreeze. The fule filter needed replacing twice. Very poor performance driving this car uphill not a lot of power uphill. With all the problems I had with this car I will never buy another dodge vehicle again.

I will miss this car!
By bgoodrich on 05/04/13 11:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this car for 7 years and put 165,000 miles on it. I never had a mechanical problem with it ever. It was fast enough, but what I liked the most was the handling. I never thought there was a curve I couldn't take without minimal braking. This car alo had exceptional top-end passing ability. If you ever neede to go from 70-80 mph quickly, you could depend on the Stratus R/T to do it. I got a lot of compliments on the car's appearance and it was nice to be the only person I know to have one. I can't believe they didn't sell more of these. I really can't put into words how much I enjoyed this car. I will miss her greatly.

I loved my Stratus
By texan65 on 08/02/12 21:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded in my 2004 Stratus after 7 years and 130,000 miles. I never had any major mechanical failure, just regular maintenance. It was a very reliable car. It was hands-down the best car I've ever had. I only traded it in because my family just needed something a little bigger.

Eight years and still glad I bought it!
By 04stratusrt on 06/02/12 17:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2004 Stratus R/T coupe brand new and have not regretted it. The V6 provides plenty of power and I get 28 to 30 mpg on the highway! Great looking car with zero mechanical issues.

Love My Stratus
By davinshi on 03/25/12 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with less than 70,000 miles on it. It has TONS of power, hugs the curves, and rides smooth. I might say it has too much power-I'm always having to slow it down on the freeway, because it's up to 80mph and over without even feeling like it. Looks sporty and gets alot of compliments. It does make a bit of a whining noise on hills, but there's no decrease in power at all. My only issue with it is the cab forward design makes stop lights hard to see sometimes-I have to lean forward. But a small inconvenience compared to how amazing this car drives and handles. And I got my first speeding ticket in it!

Well it started off being a nice car....
By whodoctork9 on 11/13/11 00:20 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car and didn't have any trouble the first year, second year the computer was replaced and alternator and battery. Then the battery was replaced again. The car kept running the battery down so I took the alternator to a parts store to be checked, it came out ok - 4 times checked. They said the computer does the regulating for the alternator so I will have to get the computer checked AGAIN. If anyone has any ideas, please submit to me. I have checked the car with a diagnostic computer and its returning no errors. Battery light stays on when cranked.

Great car for great value
By rj45 on 04/25/11 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first car and I didn't buy it too long ago. Has 84,000 miles and in good condition! Only cost me $4,500. Also came with a fresh set of tires. The car is an overall very good buy. It rides smoothly and has that "low" feeling. There is a limited amount of body roll while turning due to a stiffer suspension. Even though it's a coupe, the back seat is rather large and very comfortable. The trunk space is also pretty large, it managed to fit over $160 worth of groceries. Though the car is cheap, reliable, and sporty, the build quality isn't spot on. The front and rear bumper is made of cheap plastic, which is a little flimsy. The dashboard is rubber and bulges out when hot.

My First Car...
By jayjayfrmny on 03/20/11 23:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it 2 months ago used with about 85000 miles on it but it pushed as if it had none. When I first saw it, I fell in love with the body style. I felt like it was calling me and when I took it for a test drive, I was completely sold. I only encountered one problem during my ownership and that was the distributor cap (its used, so I expected a few problems) but thats it. I take incredible care of it and it runs even stronger than it did when I bought it considering Ive already put about 2000 miles on it. This car has a lot of potential style and power wise.

Great Car, what's with the paint?
By Erica02 on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my car for two years and love it! But I have had the roof painted and now and going to have to have the hood painted. The paint is just fading right off my pretty black car!

Did like it, now HATE it
By Bear on 07/31/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When we first bought the car it was wonderful. I loved it but the mileage absolutely stinks. There is no way I get even 20 mpg with this thing. I drive 37 miles one way and have to fill up at least twice a week. Then the transmission went out, and within 3 months the timing belt broke. Now I only have my A/C working when it is on 3 or 4, but nothing on 1 or 2. And to top that off the car makes lots of noise when stopping or starting. Sounds like the whole car is about to come off it's frame. My opinion, I would never get another Dodge Stratus again.