Used 2003 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

2003 Dodge Stratus RT 5 speed
By Sean

2003 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car which I purchased used with around 19k miles in 2005 for about $14k. Ten years later with 196529 Miles it's still purring. Replaced clutch only once few thousand miles ago and little to no repairs... mostly just usual and simple maintenence. This car is simple as it has no ABS or any high tech which I actually prefer; I have a removable gps and CD player with blutooth which is all I need; no expensive electronics to break and worry about spending lots of money on. The dashboard has curled up years ago from sun exposure but whatever... No big deal anymore. My suspension went and it's a rough ride and rattles and shakes on rough roads, as something went, but I can't exactly pin it down and it's not in my opinion worth the money or headache to repair. I can deal with it as I have gotten used to it and its not that bad. I've had this car ten years @ one third of my life so that says a lot about how much I like the car, it's dependability and me not wanting to buy another as I purchased it in full @ about $14k and never had car payments... Who wants car payments? Also, the cloth driver seat is in rough shape but that is to be expected with all these Miles. It burns a some oil too which is pretty typical for an old car with this many miles; not worth fixing now as I'll just cheap oil. I drive this car for work very hard and with this manual transmission I've never had any real issues, repairs or anything go wrong which would go wrong with an automatic. I'm forever staying with manual transmissions. Great vehicle

Looks good, decent mpg, cheap to keep and simple
By nadylynn

2003 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 03 Stratus with 56000 miles a corp lease well maintained records, 136000 now, only repairs were rear shocks and brakes, did timing belt service at 115000, it's been very cheap to keep. Not very fast but the iron block 4 cyl engine keeps going no leaks or oil usage between oil changes. Trans serviced every 35000 miles still shifts smoothly. So far so good our 03 Altima bought new only has 80000 and has had about 7 repairs so far 2 no starts, mostly engine elec.

Low cost to own and fun to drive as 4 cyl. eco cars go
By billman2

2003 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in 03 4 cyl auto good value and to our surprize it's cost to operate has been lower than our japanese car our mother drives, not as well refined but still fun to drive and quieter ride. No issues yet with 140,000 miles except rear struts were replaced. 4 cyl engine not real fast but simple to service and reliable.

Style..no econo box look. drives strait down the road.

offer a 4 cyl turbo version or make the 6 cyl more reliable.

this car is garbage worst investment ever
By whitesoxman61

2003 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

this car has been nothing but a nightmare to own i am a person that likes to do maintenance on my own but that's pretty much impossible. the water pump is on the inside of the engine and costed me $800 to get replaced, the thermostat is on the bottom of the engine and requires you to remove the alternator, battery is located inside the wheel well and you have to remove the tire and splash guard to get to it, just about anything you work on with this car will take 2 times longer than a normal car it was built A$$ backwards i would not tell anyone to buy this car unless they have a LOT of time and money on their hands to fix it.

nothing everything is a pain

good luck with improving this car there is no fixing these might as well use them for scrap metal that is about all their good for.

206,000 miles a good solid car
By mopar350

2003 Dodge Stratus SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 50,000 miles on it six years ago. so far I have only done some normal maintance. changed timing belt twice and front brake pads once. now at 206,000 mile mark i have had to change one front wheel bearing. and the transmission is slipping. would have lasted longer if i had changed the fluid and filter like i should have. i have beat this car into the ground and it is still going. i put 36,000 to 40,000 miles a year on this car for the last three years. so i will be putting a transmission in it and keep on driveing it. and i plan on driveing it till the body rusts away. i live in south carolina and there is no rust on it yet so i will be driveing this car for a long time

stereo system,reliability, 30mpg, easy to repair when needed.

larger opening for trunk to make loading and unloading easier. better front seat design.

• SUV