Used 2002 Dodge Stratus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Stratus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

WORST CAR I HAVE EVER BOUGHT!!
By Marjorie Crawford

2002 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 150,000 8 weeks ago. A week after I bought it, the check oil light came on. I took it to the shop and the oil pan was stripped and the transmission was leaking. The warranty covered a rebuilt transmission and new oil pan. The dealership had it for 3 weeks to do the repairs. Now 2 weeks after I get it back, the heat in the car goes out and it is only blowing cold air. I take it back to the dealership and they tell me it will take them a week to run diagnostics on it. I bought this car 8 weeks ago and have nothing but repairs. DO NOT buy this car!!!

Good Car....
By Gray

2002 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car from a friend 4 years ago back in 2006. So far no major problems. Everything works, no paint problems. Small coolant leak noticed a few weeks ago. I drive the car a lot. The gas mileage is great and the drive is pretty smooth too. My only complaint is the plain interior. Changed the rear rotors once. That's the only major work we had to do. Overall, it's a good car to have.

Favorite Features

Sound system is good. Overall a good car.

Suggested Improvements

Just the plain interior.

good car for us
By jason f.

2002 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

this car has been very good for us so far. We've put 105000 miles on the car since we bought and only one major complaint. We kept losing transmission fluid every few months. Problem was due to bad connectors not made for our seasons in Minnesota (so we were told). After being fixed several times under warranty and the warranty about to expire the dealership replaced the connectors with a different type and we have had no problems since. Gas mileage is not the best but when I step on the pedal I go.

Favorite Features

Just a good car all around

Suggested Improvements

transmission line connections and the visor hook faces the wrong way compared to most cars

Buyer Beware!!!!!!
By badyr

2002 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this car when I got it. It was used and only 3 years old w/decent mileage. Then I drove it for a while... The transmission slipped in the cold weather, the water pump and alternator went and never mind trying to fix "simple" problems on your own. This car is a total nightmare to work on, very very expensive repair costs. Over the weekend it was stolen and the joke is on them because it was a piece of junk. Don't buy these cars, I have a feeling there are more lemons than reliable builds of this model out there. Save your money and put it into somethign that will last and not break the bank to fix. Water pump alone was over $600 to replace...

Favorite Features

Comfy interior, great pickup the first year I had it and the transmission was good

Suggested Improvements

Collect every Stratus, move them to a giant field and torch them, that's the only way to improve this piece of junk...

100K, little upkeep and running strong
By Dan

2002 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After 100,000 miles this car is running strong and has never needed more than the usual upkeep [oil, brakes, tires, etc]. Car is noisier than original condition but is to be expected after 100k. Car has never overheated. Air conditioner, heater, electronics, power, control - everything is working in great condition. I have to say for the value, this car is well worth it.

Favorite Features

Interior design. Ease of reaching controls [no sloping front console like found on many Asian sedans]. The fold down rear seats [40/60 split] is a great feature.