Used 2002 Dodge Stratus ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

transmission
By south carolina

2002 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the 4 dr 02 sedan Dodge Stratus just a little over a month ago. Now, the transmission has gone out. You all were right when posting about the transmission in this car. Glad I got to the two year warranty, Don't have to pay a dime. The car runs great, other than the transmission, everything is good.

Favorite Features

I put a panasonic cd receiver, the factory speakers are great.

Great car, bad tranny.
By Tim

2002 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

After 5 years and over 100,000 miles this has proven to be a surprisingly comfortable and reliable car in general, and it has even aged very well. I've replaced niggling stuff like the wiper arms and washer nozzle, but everything else has held up. It's very easy on brakes and tires (each replaced only once in 100,000 miles), and the engine has always been smooth and quiet and required no unscheduled maintenance at all. The scary part is the most expensive part of the car. The transmission has been the leakiest I've ever seen in my life! It has leaked from day one and after replacing $1000 worth of hydrolic hoses and modules it has a bad leak again!

Favorite Features

Almost everything about the car is very nice, if not spectacular, for its price range.

Suggested Improvements

The tranny leaks like a 1968 Chevy with rotted gaskets. I don't think it has ever stopped leaking since I've owned the car, even after spending a ton of money in leak repairs. Dash rattles. Low, prominent nose scrapes on everything larger than a pebble.

Stratus ES
By jimbuc43

2002 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 ES is fun and reliable. Performance with the 2.7L engine is great and it gets good gas mileage. It also looks sporty with my added spoiler.

Favorite Features

Performance, reliability, and style

Suggested Improvements

A little more suspension travel and less road noise on oiled and chipped roads. Needs much better high beam headlight system.

2002 4dr- sedan Stratus
By SkyyBlueGirl

2002 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 96 Stratus before so naturally I went for the 2002 when it became time for a new car. I love the pretty color (sky blue) and the body style. I think the interior is an improvement from the older models. But I have to say I am REALLY disappointed that my car is leaking transmission fluid all over the place for no reason...the older version was (I have a feeling) way more reliable than the 2002. Other than the whole "transmission" problem (which is like, probably pretty bad for the outcome of my car over the years), the car is lovely. Hopefully you all have better luck...maybe I just got a bad seed.

Favorite Features

Color, Power seat (yes i love it too), back seat space, (fit even your tallest friends!) Heats up pretty quick on those below zero days.

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION, and the console should really hold my cds in place better (haha)

Wow...My first new car!
By DJ Cha Cha

2002 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned a 1969 Plymouth Valiant for 10 years. This is my first "new" car and I'm loving every moment. I do agree with everyone on here writing good reviews. I'm surprised at the great fuel economy for a v6 and love the tight suspension. I just put 18 inch wheels with 225/40/18 tires on it and man do they grab the curves of the road. I have not seen many of these cars around the Medford Oregon area. I get a lot of compliments on my car and everyone wants to know what it is. All in all I can't complain. I pray that I don't have the head gasket problem that I've read about in the late '90s models.

Favorite Features

Large fender wells for large size aftermarket wheels, rack and pinion steering is awsome on this car. I bought this car used with 23,308 miles on it and it seems brand new.

Suggested Improvements

The a/c needs to be more powerful on hot days...I do agree on this one.