2002 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
11 years and going strong
By tara0724 on 08/15/13 10:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm sad others have had bad experiences with this car because mine has almost 160k miles on it and it drives like the day I bought it. I've had to do a few minor things, replace the radiator and the brackets that hold the rear shocks rusted through prematurely, but it really has been an awesome car for me. 11 years later I have had no issues at all with the engine or transmission. The only thing I hate about it is that the clip under the front bumper hangs so low that I parked too close to a parking block and broke that plastic piece in half. Operator error.

Perfect car
By raypierce on 11/18/12 07:52 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great little car. The dirty little secret is that the Stratus R/T coupe is built on the Eclipse GTS platform. So you get the American muscle body lines, with the Japanese reliability. I bought this car used at 100K miles, and it now has 210K miles with 0 problems. These are really built rock solid. Performance is also great and the suspension is a lot beefier than the eclipse. Please note, that these cars are completely different from the sedans. Which were built by Dodge. The only downside is that these cars are very rare. If you want a Stratus R/T coupe in manual....you are going to have a hard time finding one, since according to Dodge they built only 750 of these per year.

Great car
By Old man on 08/17/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new, 275,000 miles, no squeaks, rattles or recalls. 30 MPG on trips, embarrass a couple Mustang GT (to about 40 mph). Only unusual repair was replaced radiator.

Good Car....
By Gray on 07/28/10 17:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car from a friend 4 years ago back in 2006. So far no major problems. Everything works, no paint problems. Small coolant leak noticed a few weeks ago. I drive the car a lot. The gas mileage is great and the drive is pretty smooth too. My only complaint is the plain interior. Changed the rear rotors once. That's the only major work we had to do. Overall, it's a good car to have.

Dont' buy one
By CAM on 07/06/10 09:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst car I have ever purchased. The car eats batteries and tires, burns a quart or so of oil every month. Replaced the tube that goes into the gas tank, rusted through. Motor on the power window on drivers side had to be replaced, sun roof sticks so you have to push it up to open it while holding the button down. Clear coat on the car is turning white so now I have a black car with big white spots on it. Turning radius? There is none, a semi is easier to turn. The front end needs work constantly & I drive like an old lady. The front end is so low to the ground it constantly bottoms out entering & exiting drives, parking lots, etc. Horrible traction in snow or rain.

ASWESOME
By Tink92 on 03/10/10 05:50 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought it. i don't know what these babies are complaining about my brother owned it before I did and it never went through all the high numbers these other peoples vehicles have. Maybe if they were to take care of it correctly they wouldn't be throwing away so much money.

Lemon
By alitap0408 on 02/19/10 08:45 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car three years old about four years ago. It performed great for about the first year and then it was a slippery slope not to mention an expensive one from there. I have replaced three transmissions (yes you read it right this is an automatic) and three batteries. The thing eats brake roaters for breakfast and I have to replace them about every 6 thousand miles as they warp. My lovely now has patches of white where the paint has done some sort of baking (it has been in a garage the whole time. The factory tinting on all of the windows has decided to start crawling down the windows.I think Dodge should be ashamed of themselves for putting such a poor quality vehicle on the road.

Love it
By Kendra on 11/09/09 10:11 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Stratus R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second Stratus I have owned and I still love it! My car has 175000 miles on it and it still is running strong. No leaks at all. I bought it used with a little under 150k miles on it. To my knowledge the only major part to be replaced is the clutch. The car doesn't handle the greatest, but then again it isn't a sports car (though I like to drive it like one). I mostly drive short trips around town and I get consistently 25 mpg. When I am traveling I get up to 28 mpg. The trunk space is fantastic! I have a big speaker box, and a wheelchair, and I can still fit all my groceries in there too! This car can hold it's own when it comes to power. If you can shift you can win!

good car for us
By jason f. on 10/22/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

this car has been very good for us so far. We've put 105000 miles on the car since we bought and only one major complaint. We kept losing transmission fluid every few months. Problem was due to bad connectors not made for our seasons in Minnesota (so we were told). After being fixed several times under warranty and the warranty about to expire the dealership replaced the connectors with a different type and we have had no problems since. Gas mileage is not the best but when I step on the pedal I go.

Buyer Beware!!!!!!
By badyr on 10/19/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this car when I got it. It was used and only 3 years old w/decent mileage. Then I drove it for a while... The transmission slipped in the cold weather, the water pump and alternator went and never mind trying to fix "simple" problems on your own. This car is a total nightmare to work on, very very expensive repair costs. Over the weekend it was stolen and the joke is on them because it was a piece of junk. Don't buy these cars, I have a feeling there are more lemons than reliable builds of this model out there. Save your money and put it into somethign that will last and not break the bank to fix. Water pump alone was over $600 to replace...