Used 2001 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Do Not Make A Mistake
By JH

2001 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car about 2 years ago with 65K miles on it. Now it has 84K miles on it and nothing but problems. I started having weird engine noises and I took the vehicle in right away. After having regular oil changes and receipts for proof...my problem was that I needed a new engine at a cost of $6K which my extended warranty declined. The problem was due to engine sludge which is a common and known problem with Dodge and Chrysler vehicles with the 2.7L engine. I found this out after the fact by doing a lot of research on the internet. Chrysler does not care. Beware and do your homework. I will be dumping this junk very very soon. Not to mention taking a huge loss in dollars.

Car was fun for the very short life it had. Drive it for a year and then a ton of problems occur. Way too many too list here. I just listed the engine problem which was the final problem that will lay this car to rest.

It's amazing that Chrysler can stay in business with such poor quality vehicles. The engine design/problem would have to be the first needed improvement. The second would have to then be for Chrysler to care about their customers.

2nd review for this car
By Case Anarchy

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the car for over 2 years now and put on almost 50000 miles. Only had to do maintaince repairs, brake pads, tire, no major components replacements. Oil must absolutly be changed after 3000 miles. Car is now five years old but still not showing any rust and the engine and transmission still work just like when I bought it. The drivers door lock switch stopped working but everything else is still in good shape. The car has averaged 30 mile per gallon in the time i've had it. Handles good on winter roads too.

Fuel economy, the fact nothing expensive has broken and it still runs the same as the day I got it. Good engine, lots of cargo room.

Lousy tiny side mirrors. Resale value has depreciated farther that it really should have.

Can't trust the power windows
By Magic Dragon

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car when it was a year old. Two years later, the driver's power window went bad and I've had that same window fixed a total of 5 times in the last year. I can no longer use the window because I don't trust it to operate correctly.

Stay away
By Travlnmn41

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car. My AC went out after 3 years and it was no minor problem -- it was a $2,700 problem. Also had to completely replace my brakes and one part unique to the coupe was hard to find. The shop had to special order it and I was without a car for a week.

Mixed emotions
By '01 Stratus SE Sedan

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Status was a company lease with high highway miles. I'm not quite sure what the deal was, but I had so many problem with the car. Luckily I had the factory and the extended warranty that I chose to purchase. I am currently on my third A/C & heating control module. The chrome lettering on the sides, "SE", "DOGDE", "STRATUS" peeled off. I t has very low head room, especially in the back seat. I was very surprised by the power it has for a 4 cylinder, but very disapointed in the gas mileage. I had the same mileage in my old Lumina 6 cylinder. I had a theory about first model year vehicles and a recent issue of Consumer Reports saying that they have more problems.

Although my views are mostly negative, I do like the agility of the car. The stereo is great for a factory system. Good trunk space with the fold down rear seats. I like the sleek styling even for a sedan.

More leg room for the driver. Ground clearence is too low. Not good for Upstate NY winter driving. Any lower and its a plow. Very tight engine compartment. Bad blindspots when looking right, passenger headrest gets in the way. Better fuel mileage is a must.