2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Good solid car
By dab on 09/26/07 12:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Now over 6 yrs old, has never given much trouble. Have had 2 wheel bearings, one covered by warranty, and heater fan lost 1 speed. Also a tie rod replaced. FM portion of radio just stopped working. That's it for repairs! Have driven coast to coast. Average mpg lifetime around 31 mpg with 2.4 liter engine/automatic. Original tires went over 76K miles.

Good while still new
By TK on 08/29/07 06:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Stratus barely used and overall it hasn't been a bad car. I have not had a lot of major problems under the hood. However, the air conditioning has been a constant problem since about 60,000 miles. It is repaired and then goes out again soon after. This last time, I took the car to 3 reliable/well known mechanics in the Chicago area who were all unable to determine the cause of the problem. I suppose their could be worse things- as the car runs, but it is very frustrating not to have air constantly. I have come across many others with dodge vehicles who have reported the exact same prob. with ac and have also had difficulty wih getting it repaired.

Run of the mill sedan
By Dave on 01/21/07 07:32 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very frusturating car to own. I've experienced steering and electrical problems from day one. Blower fan not working on all speeds, radio turning on/off by itself, rear defroster problems. Had to replace the rack and pinion at 42,000 miles. Transmission pan to low to ground making it easy to bottom out resulting in leaks.

Great Car
By Dublin89 on 09/13/06 15:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Stratus SE 4cy a little over a month ago, and so far I'm very pleased. I'm getting about 28mpg, and thats with mixed driving from highway and city. The only things I have had troubles with so far is about a week after I bought the car, the engine light came on and they cant find the problem. The car still runs great.

I'd buy another
By Ray Bank on 07/02/06 11:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This has been a fine car in nearly all respects. The only gripes I have is the difficulty of replacing the air filter and the battery. Otherwise, the car has everything I want: looks, performance, handling, comfort and economy. I have the 2.7 V-6. Maintenance costs have been minimal and I have 77,400 miles on it. I've been looking at other cars, but I guess I'll just wait until they come out with the re-styled Stratus and Sebring sedans.

Engine Blown
By Jerry on 05/30/06 12:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Engine problems and more engine problems. At first it seemed great but at 55-56K it started to decline. I serviced every 3K and all regular maintenance. At around 90K, I needed my main gasket replaced. Then last week I was informed my engine was shot. Also, had some electrical problems with my windows and especially my radio/CD player. I purchased new with every upgrade, even smokers package (I later learned, even though I have never smoked for xtra $20). Car still looks great, interior & exterior still looks new. This is the second Dodge that this has happened, I owned a Jeep before this and I was to dumb to learn. Never again! I am buying a Toyota! Do your homework, don't buy Dodge

Dodges = Fun to Look at... Bad to Own
By cwy on 03/30/06 15:57 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love Dodge styling overall and have owned several Dodges over the years. Had a 6cyl 2001 Stratus ES for almost a year but experienced constant overheating problem, steering problems, and ball joint replacements. This was a "certified" used car from a Dodge dealership. Had a 98 ES also with almost no problems in aver 75K miles but this one was a bust. Also had two Caravans which experienced ATX problems and various brake and lesser interior fit and finish issues... going to Toyota and Honda... mmmm...but must resist Dodge nice styling and innovative features (Charger/Magnum/300...etc)

Do Not Make A Mistake
By JH on 01/26/06 21:53 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car about 2 years ago with 65K miles on it. Now it has 84K miles on it and nothing but problems. I started having weird engine noises and I took the vehicle in right away. After having regular oil changes and receipts for proof...my problem was that I needed a new engine at a cost of $6K which my extended warranty declined. The problem was due to engine sludge which is a common and known problem with Dodge and Chrysler vehicles with the 2.7L engine. I found this out after the fact by doing a lot of research on the internet. Chrysler does not care. Beware and do your homework. I will be dumping this junk very very soon. Not to mention taking a huge loss in dollars.

2nd review for this car
By Case Anarchy on 01/23/06 00:24 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the car for over 2 years now and put on almost 50000 miles. Only had to do maintaince repairs, brake pads, tire, no major components replacements. Oil must absolutly be changed after 3000 miles. Car is now five years old but still not showing any rust and the engine and transmission still work just like when I bought it. The drivers door lock switch stopped working but everything else is still in good shape. The car has averaged 30 mile per gallon in the time i've had it. Handles good on winter roads too.

Can't trust the power windows
By Magic Dragon on 10/30/05 07:44 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car when it was a year old. Two years later, the driver's power window went bad and I've had that same window fixed a total of 5 times in the last year. I can no longer use the window because I don't trust it to operate correctly.