Used 2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Most Helpful|
Great car for the price
By mechem

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car recently. Super fast being the RT model. Fun to drive and it feels safe and responsive. Gas mileage is roughly 21 overall, and I drive it hard. Only a couple complaints. The second cupholder is a joke, its under the armrest and is shallow. Also there is an odd rattle that I've heard. Its mostly notable when coasting. The engine is strong so it covers it when your gassing it. Nothing major though, I can live with it. Definitely a fun car to have and it gets looks wherever it goes. Cheap too, bought mine for 5 grand with under 60k on it.

Favorite Features

Awesome V6. Styling is mad sexy. Leather seats are comfy. Female desire. Auto-stick is fun but only 4 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Little more padding in some areas to reduce rattles. Do something better with the god forsaken 2nd cupholder, although the first one is excellent. 5-6 speed auto would be nice.

great car!
By mc_stratus

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just purchased my stratus about a month ago. I have had absolutely no problems with it. it rides like a dream and has plenty of power all though the rpm band. if you are looking at one i was skeptical if i would adjust to the smaller windshield and sportier feel, but i did very quickly. I read many of these before finally buying a car. For the money i don't think you will find a better car. my only complaint although small is that if you like to drive with mirrors the blindspots can be tricky, but easily remedied by physically looking or blindspot mirrors. If considering one, they are worth it.

Favorite Features

Seats are great good power

Suggested Improvements

the shifter linkage is a little stiff which i think is common

Fair mechanically, bad cosmetically
By lykeh17

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned mine since new. I read the other review of the black paint, and I have the same problem. The top coat of paint just flakes off over time and makes your car look like it has dry skin. I have givin up washing it. Very disappointing. And also the dash is cracked in 4 places along the defrost vent. I have replaced the exhaust manifold because of cracks also. The car performs well and kicks but when you mash on the pedal. It gets reasonable mileage for a 4 banger. Even at 141000 miles. If Dodge would have put their own drive train in this car it would have been like the Vega. Mitzu makes a good engine. Also, if your 6' 2" or more, this car is too small for you.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior design. Corners well. Nice sound system. Overall mechanically good.

Suggested Improvements

They could use better quality hardware. Black paint was obviously a flaw that year.

Pretty Good
By G. Mag

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall has been a pretty solid car. Handles well and has good acceleration. Had to get rid of the Goodyear Eagles, replaced with Potenzas and hydroplaning and winter driving vastly improved. Had to replace EGR solenoid at 50,000, rt front wheel bearing at 100,000 and rear sway bar links but has been very reliable throughout my 6 yrs with it. Paint and body have held up very well. Took it to the Dodge dealership for the EGR light and they had no idea what to do w it. Drove over to the Mitsu dealer and they fixed it in 30 min.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration and looks sharp. Only minor problems in 130,000+ miles.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely get rid of the Goodyears, they are awful. Mechanics are baffled by it when it comes in because they think its a Dodge but its all Mitsubishi under the sheet metal. Suspension feels kinda cheap and interior has vast seas of hard black plastic.

BOOOOOOO!!!
By Greg J.

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Car is a looker, that is the only upside. Reading other consumer reviews it seems I may have the only crappy dodge stratus. Ok, here we go. Transmission jerks for some mysterious reason, ALOT of electrical issues (interior lights, blinking head lights, faint turning signals, horn loves to go out, fluctuating gas hand, radio and clock resets when I turn the car off then back on), bumper sits too low therefore it oftens hits while going over dips and speed bumps even when speed is low. 3.0 engine sounds good but doesn't accelerate all that well, and parts are expensive. I plan to sell car or salvage parts and get a NON AMERICAN CAR. Sorry USA.

Favorite Features

Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to type. I'll be here all night.