Used 2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Recommended car!
By cfdp

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

No major repairs required since I've owned it. Purchased w/ about 43K miles. This car has served me an awesome time, again and again. The most problems I have had, had been with the front end (bearings, breaks, turn signals...), but maybe b/c mine is a rebuilt title? All fixed and drives so smooth! Cruises nice around 70mph. Manual trans. is the only way to go! Very fun, especially to watch people look at your car take off scratching their heads???

-Torque/pull! Passing and taking off is a breeze & fun. -Shifting. Shift at about 3K, and fairly quickly; it will fade without notice into the next gear. -Pwr/Leather seats. Comfy! -Performance/fun to drive! Very fun daily driver. -Exhaust. Awesome stock sound. -Sleeper (rip R/T badges off.. ?? :)

-Rotors warp easily, but are easy/cheap to get resurfaced. -Inside cabin noise annying at times. Just turn on the radio ;) -3 point turn. It's like trying to turn around a truck! -Engine tick on warm up. 3.0 engine is notorious for this! Although it hasn't effected perf. and has never gotten worse.

Great car with a few flaws
By Mechem

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just recently bought my 01 RT Stratus and I must say its awesome. For those who dont know, the Stratus coupes are identical to Mitsu Eclipses in almost every way. This car moves quick, and turns sharp. It handles well and I find its overall very well put together. My only gripes are with a few interior things. First of all, the dash material is a very stiff plastic and it cracks without warning. Failure to seal cracks will lead to annoying rattling and more cracking. I have 3 cracks. Some people have it split in half. Also, the 2nd cupholder is hidden under the armrest. It makes no sense whatsoever. Lastly the fuel economy could be better, I get close to 21 driving rough.

3.0 V6, looks, sexyness, that kind of stuff

It's done being made now, but have a recall on the dash so we can get it fixed for free because the cracked dash is so annoying.

Great car for the price
By mechem

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car recently. Super fast being the RT model. Fun to drive and it feels safe and responsive. Gas mileage is roughly 21 overall, and I drive it hard. Only a couple complaints. The second cupholder is a joke, its under the armrest and is shallow. Also there is an odd rattle that I've heard. Its mostly notable when coasting. The engine is strong so it covers it when your gassing it. Nothing major though, I can live with it. Definitely a fun car to have and it gets looks wherever it goes. Cheap too, bought mine for 5 grand with under 60k on it.

Awesome V6. Styling is mad sexy. Leather seats are comfy. Female desire. Auto-stick is fun but only 4 speed.

Little more padding in some areas to reduce rattles. Do something better with the god forsaken 2nd cupholder, although the first one is excellent. 5-6 speed auto would be nice.

Good while it lasted.
By Anomaly21

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car (the coupe) is just a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a different outer body. It's fun to drive and I still got complements even though its an '01. I traded it about a month ago with 80K miles. The transmission went without any warning whatsoever, the interior was falling apart (dash cracking in sun, door handle breaking) and paint on the door was chipping. This was upseting because I felt like I was fighting a loosing battle in tring to keep it nice, by the end it looked like I treated it like crap which was not the case. It was fun to drive with good performance from the Eclipse 3.0 200hp v6. It however kind of stunk in the winter even though it was front wheel drive and had decent tires.

Performance. Great stero sound. good looks for the price. Ok gas mileage (although for the 3.0l v6 the manual recomends high octane gas)

They don't make it anymore.

Mitsubishi=good Dodge=bad
By Great car

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about this car is Mitsubishi except the frame and paint. What screwed up? The paint. I caution those considering one of these that is black. This car is a 2001, and by 2004 the paint was burning off in the sun, and I live in a temperate climate zone. The ride is like the v6 Eclipse, fast, smooth, and comfortable. The car is very fun to drive and has held up great for 88k miles thus far. Uses expensive tires and likes to eat them, but if you drive conservatively this shouldn't be too much of a problem. And, for a sports car, this car gets pretty good fuel economy. I gauged it at 26mpg using 93 octane gasoline. I love this car and will hate to get rid of it. Poor warranty

Sleek design, super smooth ride, very comfortable, fast, decent gas mileage.

Dodge needs to give its cars better paint jobs and a better warranties. As for Mitsubishi well done.