2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
great car!
By mc_stratus on 06/26/12 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just purchased my stratus about a month ago. I have had absolutely no problems with it. it rides like a dream and has plenty of power all though the rpm band. if you are looking at one i was skeptical if i would adjust to the smaller windshield and sportier feel, but i did very quickly. I read many of these before finally buying a car. For the money i don't think you will find a better car. my only complaint although small is that if you like to drive with mirrors the blindspots can be tricky, but easily remedied by physically looking or blindspot mirrors. If considering one, they are worth it.

Fair mechanically, bad cosmetically
By lykeh17 on 09/29/11 18:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned mine since new. I read the other review of the black paint, and I have the same problem. The top coat of paint just flakes off over time and makes your car look like it has dry skin. I have givin up washing it. Very disappointing. And also the dash is cracked in 4 places along the defrost vent. I have replaced the exhaust manifold because of cracks also. The car performs well and kicks but when you mash on the pedal. It gets reasonable mileage for a 4 banger. Even at 141000 miles. If Dodge would have put their own drive train in this car it would have been like the Vega. Mitzu makes a good engine. Also, if your 6' 2" or more, this car is too small for you.

Pretty Good
By G. Mag on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall has been a pretty solid car. Handles well and has good acceleration. Had to get rid of the Goodyear Eagles, replaced with Potenzas and hydroplaning and winter driving vastly improved. Had to replace EGR solenoid at 50,000, rt front wheel bearing at 100,000 and rear sway bar links but has been very reliable throughout my 6 yrs with it. Paint and body have held up very well. Took it to the Dodge dealership for the EGR light and they had no idea what to do w it. Drove over to the Mitsu dealer and they fixed it in 30 min.

BOOOOOOO!!!
By Greg J. on 08/19/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Car is a looker, that is the only upside. Reading other consumer reviews it seems I may have the only crappy dodge stratus. Ok, here we go. Transmission jerks for some mysterious reason, ALOT of electrical issues (interior lights, blinking head lights, faint turning signals, horn loves to go out, fluctuating gas hand, radio and clock resets when I turn the car off then back on), bumper sits too low therefore it oftens hits while going over dips and speed bumps even when speed is low. 3.0 engine sounds good but doesn't accelerate all that well, and parts are expensive. I plan to sell car or salvage parts and get a NON AMERICAN CAR. Sorry USA.

Recommended car!
By cfdp on 04/06/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

No major repairs required since I've owned it. Purchased w/ about 43K miles. This car has served me an awesome time, again and again. The most problems I have had, had been with the front end (bearings, breaks, turn signals...), but maybe b/c mine is a rebuilt title? All fixed and drives so smooth! Cruises nice around 70mph. Manual trans. is the only way to go! Very fun, especially to watch people look at your car take off scratching their heads???

Great car with a few flaws
By Mechem on 01/17/08 06:24 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just recently bought my 01 RT Stratus and I must say its awesome. For those who dont know, the Stratus coupes are identical to Mitsu Eclipses in almost every way. This car moves quick, and turns sharp. It handles well and I find its overall very well put together. My only gripes are with a few interior things. First of all, the dash material is a very stiff plastic and it cracks without warning. Failure to seal cracks will lead to annoying rattling and more cracking. I have 3 cracks. Some people have it split in half. Also, the 2nd cupholder is hidden under the armrest. It makes no sense whatsoever. Lastly the fuel economy could be better, I get close to 21 driving rough.

Great car for the price
By mechem on 12/01/07 13:44 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car recently. Super fast being the RT model. Fun to drive and it feels safe and responsive. Gas mileage is roughly 21 overall, and I drive it hard. Only a couple complaints. The second cupholder is a joke, its under the armrest and is shallow. Also there is an odd rattle that I've heard. Its mostly notable when coasting. The engine is strong so it covers it when your gassing it. Nothing major though, I can live with it. Definitely a fun car to have and it gets looks wherever it goes. Cheap too, bought mine for 5 grand with under 60k on it.

Good while it lasted.
By Anomaly21 on 11/13/07 20:58 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car (the coupe) is just a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a different outer body. It's fun to drive and I still got complements even though its an '01. I traded it about a month ago with 80K miles. The transmission went without any warning whatsoever, the interior was falling apart (dash cracking in sun, door handle breaking) and paint on the door was chipping. This was upseting because I felt like I was fighting a loosing battle in tring to keep it nice, by the end it looked like I treated it like crap which was not the case. It was fun to drive with good performance from the Eclipse 3.0 200hp v6. It however kind of stunk in the winter even though it was front wheel drive and had decent tires.

Mitsubishi=good Dodge=bad
By Great car on 05/07/07 15:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about this car is Mitsubishi except the frame and paint. What screwed up? The paint. I caution those considering one of these that is black. This car is a 2001, and by 2004 the paint was burning off in the sun, and I live in a temperate climate zone. The ride is like the v6 Eclipse, fast, smooth, and comfortable. The car is very fun to drive and has held up great for 88k miles thus far. Uses expensive tires and likes to eat them, but if you drive conservatively this shouldn't be too much of a problem. And, for a sports car, this car gets pretty good fuel economy. I gauged it at 26mpg using 93 octane gasoline. I love this car and will hate to get rid of it. Poor warranty

Anyone ever see/read "Christine"?
By Jason on 02/04/07 07:39 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe R/T 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes that's correct, I think I love my car a little too much. I don't know what I like best about my Stratus R/T but a few of my favorite things are the handling, the ability to accelerate in traffic, the feeling of being "attatched" to the road via the low profile tires and stiff suspension, the leather seats and the stock "Infinity" 4 disc changer. Love the looks of the car and the way I've seen people stop and take a gander at it. What can I say, I'm in love.

1 2 3 4 5 next »