Used 2001 Dodge Stratus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Get Checked out
By jimmy114

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Stratus has 122000 miles on it and timing belt is going out ($1000) and the body model control is going out ($1000) the car isnt worth much more then that... the inside is nice but all the handles are broken. If your going to buy the STRATUS get it checked out as for me i recommend you move on and find something else

Favorite Features

One thing it has is a nice style to it for the cheap price

Dodge Stratus: Built to be a Rental Car
By turtledude558

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car is BLAND. Nothing's gone wrong for the time that I've owned it, but there's just nothing special about this car. Exterior is anonymous and blends in with other cars and the interior feels cheap. Fuel economy is weak and power from the V6 is only adequate. Ride is decent when on smooth surfaces. Car's composure is easily lost when driving over bumps. Annoying high-pitched noise can be heard when depressing the accelerator (but not accelerating hard).

Favorite Features

V6 engine (can't imagine having to live with the 4-cyl if the V6 is the "upgrade"), trip computer, CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles (there's no discernible "click" when you pull it open so it feels all soft and spongy - leaves you with the idea of low quality before even driving it). Better ride. Better fuel economy. Cup holders closer to the driver. Interior that gave off some impression of quality.

I'm Lovin It
By One Old Radio

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it new. I have 171,251 miles and have had no major problems. Did replace water pump and timing chain at 100,000 mile check up. Did replace Air Conditioner at 156,000 miles. Alternator at 160,000. I consider these normal wear and tear items. Car still looks new and runs like new. I enjoy driving it every time I'm in it. Now is showing some signs of problem. One door lock doesn't work and one electric window won't work. But, still for it's age and miles I consider it a good car. I would own another one. Chrysler did a good job with the 2.7 V6 engine and auto trans.

Favorite Features

Auto stick feature. Comfortable seats. Good Sound system. Peppy engine.

Suggested Improvements

Different head light lenses. A little more ground clearance.

I love my stratus
By gibbyprls

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my stratus in October of 2001 with only about 1000 mile on it and now it has 113,561. I love to drive it all the time. It had the original tires on it at 62,353 and my 1 2 3 speed on my air conditioner went out at 96,000 but the 4 speed still works. Even though it a old car i still love it.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

I think Chrysler needs to have better gas mileage.

Good Car until 85K
By redbird

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it used with 30K, and didn't have any major problems until 85K...then it seemed like every month something else went wrong. It started small with a short in the radio which led to several blown fuses. Then the fan motor speeds and rear defrost began to fail. 90K, cracked head gasket. 100K transmission began leaking. Replaced shift pack, started leaking again at 120K. I drove it hard, but it didn't hold up like I expected. Traded it in at 130K.

Favorite Features

It got great gas mileage throughout. Liked the fold down rear seats and large trunk. I could replace the headlights myself.

Suggested Improvements

Resolve expensive electrical issues. Easier access to replace brake lights.