Used 2001 Dodge Stratus ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

dodge stratus se coupe 2001 the truth about it
By onlythetruth

2001 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

good things :when i am driving my car,it is as fast as new cars,never behind them,most time in front of. aceleration brilliant,you will be really surprised about it.really fun to drive.edmunds said the truth about it. brakes enough good,4 discs. engine sounds excelent,trunk huge for a coupe car .rear seats very comfortable,they look like sedan seats ,not like the caracteristics coupe little seats.sound sistem enough good.i reproduce music with my phone and sounds powerful.and the last good thing,the car looks really nice for 2001. and now the bad details,,the front bumper is too low,and sometimes hit the front line when i am parking, and the last one, turning ratio is not so good

Don's Review
By Don

2001 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with almost 120,000 miles and it drives pretty decent. I've turned several heads with the cars already stylish exterior, with just a few simple mods. First the cars' door molding was shaved to give it the clean look; then I painted my calipers and after market black headlights. After some modifications regarding appearance, I then bought a intake and exhaust system and now I'm up to about 225 hp. You can definitely feel the power and I especially love the improved 0-60 time.

Favorite Features

The sunroof, and the autostick, is very fun to use (I like the ability to control the car w/o a clutch).

Suggested Improvements

Sometimes the engine doesn't want to live up to the true amount of HP it has, and the acceleration is depleted. A few people said that it may be my spark plugs, but I wonder if its true that the 2.7 L does have engine sludge problems.

Run of the mill sedan
By Dave

2001 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very frusturating car to own. I've experienced steering and electrical problems from day one. Blower fan not working on all speeds, radio turning on/off by itself, rear defroster problems. Had to replace the rack and pinion at 42,000 miles. Transmission pan to low to ground making it easy to bottom out resulting in leaks.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration with V6 engine. Premium sound 4 disc changer is nice

Suggested Improvements

Overall build quality has to improve before I buy another Dodge. Leather seats feel more like vinyl.

Engine Blown
By Jerry

2001 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Engine problems and more engine problems. At first it seemed great but at 55-56K it started to decline. I serviced every 3K and all regular maintenance. At around 90K, I needed my main gasket replaced. Then last week I was informed my engine was shot. Also, had some electrical problems with my windows and especially my radio/CD player. I purchased new with every upgrade, even smokers package (I later learned, even though I have never smoked for xtra $20). Car still looks great, interior & exterior still looks new. This is the second Dodge that this has happened, I owned a Jeep before this and I was to dumb to learn. Never again! I am buying a Toyota! Do your homework, don't buy Dodge

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling. Never used the autostick, but it did seem fun the 5 or 6 times I played around with it.

Suggested Improvements

R&D! Do some research and fix these problems before you unleash them on us. Engine was very unreliable. Upgraded stereo sounded good before electrical problems.

Dodges = Fun to Look at... Bad to Own
By cwy

2001 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love Dodge styling overall and have owned several Dodges over the years. Had a 6cyl 2001 Stratus ES for almost a year but experienced constant overheating problem, steering problems, and ball joint replacements. This was a "certified" used car from a Dodge dealership. Had a 98 ES also with almost no problems in aver 75K miles but this one was a bust. Also had two Caravans which experienced ATX problems and various brake and lesser interior fit and finish issues... going to Toyota and Honda... mmmm...but must resist Dodge nice styling and innovative features (Charger/Magnum/300...etc)

Favorite Features

Looks, performance, safety, price used is very good... but you get what you pay for...

Suggested Improvements

Quality... Quality.... Quality