Used 2001 Dodge Stratus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Fair mechanically, bad cosmetically
By lykeh17

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned mine since new. I read the other review of the black paint, and I have the same problem. The top coat of paint just flakes off over time and makes your car look like it has dry skin. I have givin up washing it. Very disappointing. And also the dash is cracked in 4 places along the defrost vent. I have replaced the exhaust manifold because of cracks also. The car performs well and kicks but when you mash on the pedal. It gets reasonable mileage for a 4 banger. Even at 141000 miles. If Dodge would have put their own drive train in this car it would have been like the Vega. Mitzu makes a good engine. Also, if your 6' 2" or more, this car is too small for you.

Favorite Features

Nice exterior design. Corners well. Nice sound system. Overall mechanically good.

Suggested Improvements

They could use better quality hardware. Black paint was obviously a flaw that year.

Good while it lasted.
By Anomaly21

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car (the coupe) is just a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a different outer body. It's fun to drive and I still got complements even though its an '01. I traded it about a month ago with 80K miles. The transmission went without any warning whatsoever, the interior was falling apart (dash cracking in sun, door handle breaking) and paint on the door was chipping. This was upseting because I felt like I was fighting a loosing battle in tring to keep it nice, by the end it looked like I treated it like crap which was not the case. It was fun to drive with good performance from the Eclipse 3.0 200hp v6. It however kind of stunk in the winter even though it was front wheel drive and had decent tires.

Favorite Features

Performance. Great stero sound. good looks for the price. Ok gas mileage (although for the 3.0l v6 the manual recomends high octane gas)

Suggested Improvements

They don't make it anymore.

I would recommend this to anybody!
By DodgeMan

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I Bought my 2001 Stratus SE Coupe last year at 100,000 miles for $7,000. It runs still to this day with no problems. Sure there are oil changes every 3,000 miles, but nothing else! Runs beautiful still to this day, and now has 203,000 miles Wow!

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration. Parts cheap to buy if needed. Everything!

Suggested Improvements

None

Stay away
By Travlnmn41

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car. My AC went out after 3 years and it was no minor problem -- it was a $2,700 problem. Also had to completely replace my brakes and one part unique to the coupe was hard to find. The shop had to special order it and I was without a car for a week.

Stratus Review
By stangscg

2001 Dodge Stratus SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent performance from a reasonably priced package. Design that gets many positive comments, even with the car being now 4 years old. Good sound system. Excellent reliability.

Favorite Features

Sound system, 200 hp engine, interior design very user friendly and thought out