Best In The Long Run
By Ohio on
2000 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan
2000 stratus with 2.4l automatic. Bought about 2004 with around 60,000 miles. Have 222,000 miles in 2010. Around 100k timing belt (4 or 5 hundred $), around 125-150k ac compressor ($400 part I bought a used reconditioned one for less). 180k water pump went bad and was on same belt as timing. So redo the timing belt. (4 or 5 hundred $). 220k I overfilled Freon and destroyed my refurbished ac compressor). Few brake Jobs. Had to replace two driver side tie rod ends (fairly cheap). Had problems around 100k with blower resistor. Replaced it several times till someone suggested soldering it myself. Was cheap and lasting fix. This car looks like it will make 300k and still drives like new!
Favorite Features
27 mpg running to work and back through town and on state route, a pleasure to drive, great in snow, its strong longevity. a few problems but well built strewth in major components. Shames many a toyota and honda.
Suggested Improvements
Bring this car back and build from this design until people discover its value. I changed the oil regularly. nothing else was serviced unless it broke. Did have to replace a couple $20 tranny sensors. Strong acceleration well beyond 90 mph!