2000 Dodge Stratus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

2000 Stratus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Sort Reviews by

110,000 and still going - Satisfied
By Suzie

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased: Jan 2007 SE Model I have not had any major problems with this car. I have driven it to FL, PA, SC and throughout MD. I now drive it 130 per day and still have not had any problems. Replaced the brakes pads twice. Currently at 110,000 miles and still running great. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, good mpg. Keep very good maintenance - regular oil changes, flush, transmission, and check ups, etc. This was worth every penny. I had a Chrysler Sebring before this and I had many problems - rotors, rotors, seat motor, etc. I had a Plymouth prior to that and didn't have any problems. Currently, I also own a Toyota 4-Runner which is also worthy to mention but it doesn't run like my Stratus.

Favorite Features

Overall exterior - body style is sporty yet classy. Mpg, sunroof, visibility

Suggested Improvements

Use higher quality parts that last longer.

Still Going At 122,000
By Scourge

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new 09/1999 and have reviewed it once before on this site. Has been a good car. Other than the fact that the front disc brakes warp over time, I have no complaints on this car. I've spent ~$2400 over the last 1.5 years to completely revamp the A/C from the core to the compressor, but that's the first money I've had to spend. I had a very difficult to diagnose EGR valve problem. The engine would "hiccup". I finally figured out that the EGR valve was sticking open. I disconnected it and everything works fine. You have to reconnect it to pass emissions tests in LA, but that's only once/yr to get a new inspection sticker.

Favorite Features

Hidden wallet holder under the dash. My car pool appreciates the rear leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Resale value is poor. Rides too low. Cup holders are terrible!

Bah huumbug
By Mehhh

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had to replace the transmission sensors about 3 times in 4 years, replaced brakes, and the alternator. The rear windows are no longer working. Just hit 60k. People have said it vibrates a little too much, and the mechanics say it's just the car.

Favorite Features

The cup holders

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability.

Ok car with bad brakes
By Jake

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

We drove this car for 5 years and put about 75,000 miles on the car. All in all it was a pretty good car. One issue to watch out for is the front brakes wear very fast. When we sold the car it had 102K on it and We had put 4 sets of brake pads and two new rotors. I checked the drums at about 90K and they were less than 1/2 worn. We never had any major issues with the car other than a shift solenoid going bad. The engine is pretty weak and the MPG is less than average.

Favorite Features

Cabin area was comfortable and I'm 6'4.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes stink, weak motor, better MPG would be great.

Dodge OK if under warranty
By dennis lang

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Stratus works well untill the factory warranty expires. Tranny went out at 45K, fuel pump failure at 50K, electric mirror switch at 60K, heater fan blower resistor went out 4 times in the last 3 years. Save money and headaches and purchase a Honda. Chrysler should spend more money to develope a transmission that lasts longer than 45K and less on TV ads.

Many small problems
By FuzzyDolly

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car in 2000, I was upgrading from a 95 base Neon. At the time I thought I was making a smart decision, guess I was wrong. Although there have not been any major problems with the car, there have been many small ongoing problems. In 5 years, I've put 39k miles on it, and am on my 4th set of brakes and rotors. In the last year, my hood has rusted through, and the bushings AND bearings have gone. In 5 years, I've also had to replace the engine mounts TWICE. With the cruise set at 65, I get 20 MPG. In suburb driving, I get 16-17. Expected better mileage. Dealer said this is all normal wear. Funny, never had these problems with any other car. Wish it had Intrepid's reliability.

Favorite Features

Bang for the buck. (A/C, cruise, power windows & locks, auto, all for $13k new.) Fairly comfortable ride. Good interior space. Two golf bag trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, relibility, relibility. Our other car is a 1998 Intrepid with over 100k miles. It has NEVER been in the shop. Wish the Stratus was built the same. Gas mileage poor. 16 city, 20 highway with the 4cyl and auto. Has been this way since new.

Best car ever owned!
By chris

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is good looking, reliable and tough...and I've owned many cars. I expect alot from my vehicles and I drive them hard. My Stratus SE has never given me any problems and its currently at 85,000 miles!! I recently had the original brake pads replaced and new tires all around (third set of tires since new), those are the only things that needed to be replaced. Very easy on the wallet car. I highly recommend this vehicle! Happy motoring.

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

I wish mine came with halogen headlights.

Best buy for the money
By Eugene Hudd

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 1999, now has 45K miles, replaced brakes at 42K, needed new Oxygen sensor at 38K, still has original tires, they look to be good for at least another 15K. Needed new gas cap at 44K (gas cap failed emissions test), Sunroof needs a new motor, works but only in warm weather. Otherwise, no problems, very dependable, auto-stick is fun, cabin space is very good for a car this size. Power and economy is an excellent balance. I don't htink that I could get a better car for the money!

Favorite Features

Really like the auto-stick, remote entry/alarm is nice, fold-down pass through rear seet is handy. Power seat has an excellent range of adjustment.

Suggested Improvements

Manual sliding cover for the sunroof should slide easier, cup holders in the front are nearly useless for anything but coffee (but maybe that's good). The remote needs to open the trunk as well as the doors and alarm/panic functions.

GOOD CAR
By markmu

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

this car has been a good car, have had some of the same problems reported in the other reviews. Both power window motors on rear have had to be replaced under warranty. Brake line, rotors have been troublesome, DODGE very UNCOOPERATIVE when trying to rectify the brake line problem.some tire problems and A/C heat regulator problem, but motor and transmission battery and alternator and the like have been very reliable. over 80000 miles and no major problems. GOOD CAR BAD CAR MAKER due to the them not being cooperative with the brake problem and trying to pass buck on to some after market work that has never been done

Favorite Features

car in general, feel comfortable letting my wife drive it.

Suggested Improvements

window motors are bad.

Love My Car
By ceseme

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

32mpg - The rear window defroster was fixed under warranty. Alternator brushes replaced recently; it is one of the best alternators made. Left rear automatic window opener not working anymore. Some road noise. Transmission seems to slip a little on acceleration, then catches. Trunk release mechanism quit working suddenly, about the same time as the left rear speaker. Maybe the wiring harness got pinched. Fan only works on high now; settings went out by increments. Cup holders are too small. The radio volume fades, so I keep turning it up. I turn it off and on and it comes on really loud. Very weird. But I really like this car and enjoy driving it.

Favorite Features

I really like the electric adjustable drivers seat, the remote mirror adjuster, and the switch that locks and unlocks all the doors at once.