2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan Consumer Reviews

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Stay Away!!!! No quality at all!! Money Pit!!
By wes41 on 10/29/12 10:45 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought it w/ 171000 miles on it. it didnt run for long cause it needed some sensors. the previous owner had already replaced the spark plugs and wires,fuel filter,fuel pump,timing belt,and supposedly the transmission in order to fix the problem. i replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and the throttle position sensor. then while i was driving it home i noticed that it wouldnt shift gears, the brakes sucked, the a/c didnt work, the front windows wouldnt role down, and the radio didnt work well. i also found out that the radiator fans would never turn on so the engine never cooled down. after i got it running good, the engine started cutting out again and needed a camshaft sensor..

Terrible car.
By ihatestratuses on 12/10/11 13:49 PM (PST)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

terrible car. bought with 132,000 miles, put 30,000 on it and had nothing but trouble from day one. the brakes needed replaced twice, the master cylinder went, the ignition coil went, the transmission went, the power steering pump went, argh! I will NEVER buy another dodge car. I had trouble with mine, my brother has troubles with his, and my cousin and aunt both have had major troubles with their chrysler sebrings. stay away from the dodge stratus!!

Best In The Long Run
By Ohio on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

2000 stratus with 2.4l automatic. Bought about 2004 with around 60,000 miles. Have 222,000 miles in 2010. Around 100k timing belt (4 or 5 hundred $), around 125-150k ac compressor ($400 part I bought a used reconditioned one for less). 180k water pump went bad and was on same belt as timing. So redo the timing belt. (4 or 5 hundred $). 220k I overfilled Freon and destroyed my refurbished ac compressor). Few brake Jobs. Had to replace two driver side tie rod ends (fairly cheap). Had problems around 100k with blower resistor. Replaced it several times till someone suggested soldering it myself. Was cheap and lasting fix. This car looks like it will make 300k and still drives like new!

Very Reliable Car
By Jim on 07/20/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in Fitzgerald auto mall in frederick with 77k on it. Now it has 156k on it and never had a single problem. I had a tranny replaced at 91k due to damages that occured in D.C. The car had minor replacements nothing major since the tranny incident. The problem with this car is steering system. I have replaced the tierods twice on both sides and replaced the bearings once on the drivers side. Also the alignment is a big problem for the car it easily gets off once you hit the rough roads. Long trip is a heaven for me. I am a big guy and driving the car on a long trip I could do lots of driving in a day without problems!

Good transportation at reasonable price
By bob on 01/02/09 10:28 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used and have owned it for over 7 years (65000 miles). It has been reliable. According to my records our total repair costs have been less than $1500. Replaced the front brake pads and rotors once, 3 blower motor resisters and the blower motor, fuel pump, and the oxygen sensor. The interior has held up very well. Leather seats and 6 disc cd player are nice. The exterior is starting to show some rust spots below the doors (winter salt) The fuel economy has been 25-28 mpg overall. We consistently get well over 30 mpg on the highway. It is not built as well as a Honda or Toyota, but the initial cost is considerably less. We are older people and are easy on the car.

Dodge stratus is the best car ever made
By magics stratus on 11/07/08 08:49 AM (PST)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I got my Stratus in 04 with 87000 miles. Now it's 08 and it has 175000 miles. My Stratus has been hit by two semi trucks years apart. My insurance company fixed the body work both times, car still runs great. I have not spent more than 300 dollars getting my car fixed since I had it.

110,000 and still going - Satisfied
By Suzie on 10/15/08 08:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased: Jan 2007 SE Model I have not had any major problems with this car. I have driven it to FL, PA, SC and throughout MD. I now drive it 130 per day and still have not had any problems. Replaced the brakes pads twice. Currently at 110,000 miles and still running great. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, good mpg. Keep very good maintenance - regular oil changes, flush, transmission, and check ups, etc. This was worth every penny. I had a Chrysler Sebring before this and I had many problems - rotors, rotors, seat motor, etc. I had a Plymouth prior to that and didn't have any problems. Currently, I also own a Toyota 4-Runner which is also worthy to mention but it doesn't run like my Stratus.

One of the best cars I've owned! Really!
By Detroit Driver on 09/04/08 20:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I have had my stratus for close to eight years with very few maintenance issues. Overall, this is a solid well built sporty sedan that is a pleasure to drive. I am VERY satisfied with the vehicle. I am now over 170,000 miles and still going strong!

Still Going At 122,000
By Scourge on 06/09/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new 09/1999 and have reviewed it once before on this site. Has been a good car. Other than the fact that the front disc brakes warp over time, I have no complaints on this car. I've spent ~$2400 over the last 1.5 years to completely revamp the A/C from the core to the compressor, but that's the first money I've had to spend. I had a very difficult to diagnose EGR valve problem. The engine would "hiccup". I finally figured out that the EGR valve was sticking open. I disconnected it and everything works fine. You have to reconnect it to pass emissions tests in LA, but that's only once/yr to get a new inspection sticker.

Good car for the money
By alexander_clinger on 06/01/08 10:29 AM (PDT)

2000 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

My wife and I have had this car for about three and a half years now, and we've really had no major problems with it. It gets good gas mileage for a V6 and gets you where you want to go in a hurry. The only problem that we've had has been the air conditioning, but hey, the windows roll down with no trouble at all. Also the driver's side door courtesy light switch stopped working, but that's also a cheap fix (about 7 dollars for parts). My wife's been in a couple accidents in it, and after being fixed it is still just as reliable as when we first got it. It's a great car, but I'm ready for something a little bigger, because the family is growing.