1999 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Ok car, not without it's faults
By Tleasy on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Front seats are not very comfortable. Not recommended for long trips. History of trouble with heads on motor. Common problem at around 60,000 miles to have heads warp. Can cause extensive motor damage if not checked regularly.

my stratus
By KateK on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I haven't had one problem with my 99 stratus in four years!

FOR $12,000 I GOT A STEAL
By SALFRAN on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

GREAT DEAL FOR THE MONEY

Nightmare
By lindap on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

It has been a nightmare! We have replaced the head gasket, transmission, speed sensor twice, serpentine belt, alternater twice and the starter. This car has been in the shop more than out and Chrysler has been no help. We would never buy another Chrysler product

Glad it's gone
By thumbingaride on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Very disappointed.Front end rattles and speed sensors have gone out twice in 50,000 miles.$400.00 Interior design needs improvement.

Terrible transmission
By Laura Furko on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Tie rod failure at 51,000 miles. Almost got killed. Transmission failure at 56,000 miles. What is up with that?

Good 4 the money
By MikeI on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

it's my first car and of course I will always love it, but it had its flaws: replaced brake tubes that go into calipers, replaced transmission sensor and recently replaced brake disks and calipers. Other than that, I like everything, especially when I paid 15300 for it brand new! It's also very solid car! For this price I recommend it anytime.

A great car
By ruhavingfun on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

My vehicle was new off the lot. I wanted a car to tow behind my RV. My Stratus has exceeded my expectations. It's been fun to drive & extremely reliable. Only 1 problem so far,the left front headlight assembly had condensation due to a bad seal that was covered under waranty. It's been one of the most reliable and fun cars I've ever owned. Hate to sell it but need a larger vehicle to hold our family of 6.

Not Best Quality, But Best Value
By Kingglim on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

-Superior bang for the buck -Low used prices (sorry for the first owners), even cheaper than 1 year- older, baseline Civic and Corolla -Youthful and energetic exterior & interior -Lot of room, more than I paid for. -Plenty of features -Very harsh suspension unpaved roads and road cracks. -Front end began rattling over unpaved roads and road cracks in 2001. -Wind noise and road noise are loud -Soft brake and it wears out fast -Poor rust-proofing, hood rusted out in 2002, but replaced by dealer free. -During slowdown, downshift from 4th to 3rd at 30 mph by the auto tranny produces strong jerk. Engine RPM is too low for the downshift.

Good Car Overall
By Dodgefam on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

We have had our Stratus for about 4 years. I has been a great car with lots of room. However, the passenger side window control does not work. It must be rolled up by the driver and the left rear window control on the drivers console does not allow the window to role up the window. The window must be rolled up from the back control. The truck release seems to stick. On the most part I am very pleased with our car--Lots of pep and a very smooth ride.