1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Transportation vehicle
By E. Vest on 09/05/08 06:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Good vehicle to drive for older person like myself. Hard to get in and out is the only real complaint. Blown fuse to ignition caused me to have it towed to repair shop. I overlooked the fuse listing in manual as there are 2 fuses to the ignition wire system. Replaced starter that was very expensive. The expense may have been more by the repair shop than the true reason. I should have had the Dodge repair shop replace starter. I had other ignition problems that resulted in the replacing of spark plugs and ignition wires that I did myself. Using regular gasoline may have caused these parts to start failing. Just my theory. Had brakes shoes renewed that is normal as well as tires.

Pete's Stratus
By Pete on 06/09/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car.150,000 miles and still going strong. Handles decent, great fuel economy. It's a good car car if you want the basics plus a few extras like AC, power windows and locks.

Problems!
By Danny on 04/26/06 13:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

So many problems with it. Dashboard randomly went out and none of the gauges worked for a period of time. All four tie rods went bad at 83,000. Has not been generally reliable

99 Stratus
By al_bundys_dodge_dart on 03/17/06 19:04 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

90k miles. Reliable car. Replaced brakes often, 3 times so far. Right rear power window failed. Dodge logo hood ornament either stolen or fell off... I suspect stolen.

Great Starter
By benstewart on 01/22/06 14:08 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Got it for high school graduation with 74,000 miles on it and couldn't be happier. I don't know what the previous owner replaced, but I have spent only 200 dollars replacing oxygen sensors. The Stratus is unusually peppy for its price and size while it gets 30 MPG on the highway. To many of the complaint reviews here: The longevity of the car can reflect the way you drive it. The back right window no longer works. Complaining about gas mileage? This gets 21 MPG city, which isn't good or bad, but keep in mind - you are reviewing it in 2004 or so, compare to cars of the same year, technology progresses! I have to admit, the gauges look cool at night.

OK for a starter
By speechie on 10/03/05 19:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for graduate school and it had already been in the shop to replace the head gasket. Since that time, I've replaced the brakes, O2 sensor, CV axles, among other things. I guess Dodge either makes a reliable vehicle or a lemon. It now has 92000 miles and I'm trading it in for something else. I'm not in love with this car and I'm looking forward to something else, especially with better gas mileage.

Good price, good value
By Randy on 02/19/05 09:14 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Excellent gas mileage and dependability. I think it has a nice sharp sedan look and it rides very well with great acceleration. I was impressed with its road handling for an inexpensive car.

My Stratus experience
By DG64 on 02/07/05 13:53 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle in 1999, it has been a very car. We have taken it on several long distance trips. It is very comfortable for long distances and we averaged 360 miles per tank on our trips. My only complaints are that 2 days after purchase, it had to be returned to the dealer for replacement of the computer control panel that controls all dashboard features, and they had it for 58 days. The other problem was that we had to replace the fuel pump last spring. When we removed the old one, we found that the wires going into it were scorched- I researched this and found that it is a fairly common problem although no recalls have been issued for it.

1999 Dodge Stratus-150HP DOHC
By Mike- IL on 01/06/05 22:01 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Overall not a bad car. Let's face it, the car is not a Mercedes but nice nonetheless. Power is adequate, cabin noise is average creature comforts are a little sparse but one can get by. I have 96,000 miles on mine and plan to get something else only because I am ready for a change..can't kill this thing..( I have not tried, and I have maintained it very well) Besides routine maintenance I have had only 1 problem and that was my drivers side window motor needed to be replaced at about 60K. I replaced my timing belt by choice at 90K and the waterpump as well.. I saw the belt the mechanic pulled..did not look too bad..could have let that go but wanted to make it through the cold Chicago winter.

LOVE this car!
By Heather on 12/06/04 12:00 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since Apr. 2000 and have not had a single problem. I have 100,300 miles on it now, and my job requires me to travel extensively across the country and so do road trips with friends...with not a problem to speak of. I will be buying another Stratus after I have to give this one up.