1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Very Good Car
By vannp on 05/20/11 00:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Got this car in 04 with 40k miles on it, replaced the brakelight switch, starter, water pump, drivers window motor & front brakes several times, rear brakes once, very comfortable car with good gas mileage, still running strong at 122k, going to buy another one for my daughter tomorrow.

One of the best cars ive ever owned
By smleno1mkiii on 12/18/10 14:11 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has been in my family since 2000, it only had 17,000 miles on it when my parent's bought it and has had no major problems the whole time we have owned it, The car has since been passed down to me it now has 191,000 miles on it! the only things to go wrong with it are as follows, driver side window motor at 30,000 mi covered by warranty,alternator at 70,000 mi 300$, timing belt at 152,000 but that was my moms fault as she didn't know a car had one of those, shortly after was when I acquired the car and the only problems it has given me is the starter at 181,000 and the rear transmission speed sensor the starter was about $120 the sensor was only$17.50 great car I would say.

Good ride.
By Frank on 04/03/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I think this is a good vehicle it might just be me but it has already left me stranded onces It was the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. 260 bucks to get that fixed less than a month after buying it at a local fire rescue auction for 2400 and a few days after getting that fixed my master cylinder for the brakes went out plus i had to change my back brakes because they were completely spent. so in less than a month of driving I've spend an extra 600 bucks on the car. Now it seems to be running excellent and i hope it does not give me any problems cuz im broke now. but its a very nice car to drive if it does not give me anymore problems I wont be sorry i bought it.

Runs Like a Champ
By Andrew on 11/23/09 10:17 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was an amazing first car. it has 140,000 miles on it and still runs great. Its about to get towed off though due to hitting a deer at 65mph, but it was still able to get me safely back home. GREAT GAS MILEAGE if you take this on the highway going 65-75 u can get 400+ miles to a full tank of gass. Other than keeping up the maintance,this car has always gotten me from point A to B. Never left me stranded or finding another way to school, work, a date, or any other venue. Almoast feels like a tank in the snow. Getting plowed in i thought it would never make it out put a slight touch on the gas and i was on my was just like that. Though im getting a newer vehcile i hate to part with it

100,000 Going strong
By Tom on 03/31/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new. It has 100,000 miles now. Used Mobil 1 since new. Never touched the motor. Blew the tranny differential burning out on ice (on accident). Differentials don't like one tire on ice, the other on the road. Paint is still shiny. Runs like new. The 2.4L has plenty of pep and gets 30mpg highway.

It was a good decision
By Greg on 09/29/08 00:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my Stratus since March of 2000, and I haven't regretted the purchase even once. The most serious problem has been a recent failure of the Leak Detection Pump which caused the Check Engine light to come on - but after nearly 9 years of ownership its about time something broke! The car has been comfortable, fun, and easy to drive. In my opinion, the sharp styling holds up even today. In my mind, the only negative is that I feel it seems slightly underpowered - but my last car was an 86 Pontiac 6000 STE which was a luxury rocket. My Stratus has been a great car.

Transportation vehicle
By E. Vest on 09/05/08 06:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Good vehicle to drive for older person like myself. Hard to get in and out is the only real complaint. Blown fuse to ignition caused me to have it towed to repair shop. I overlooked the fuse listing in manual as there are 2 fuses to the ignition wire system. Replaced starter that was very expensive. The expense may have been more by the repair shop than the true reason. I should have had the Dodge repair shop replace starter. I had other ignition problems that resulted in the replacing of spark plugs and ignition wires that I did myself. Using regular gasoline may have caused these parts to start failing. Just my theory. Had brakes shoes renewed that is normal as well as tires.

Pete's Stratus
By Pete on 06/09/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car.150,000 miles and still going strong. Handles decent, great fuel economy. It's a good car car if you want the basics plus a few extras like AC, power windows and locks.

99 Stratus
By al_bundys_dodge_dart on 03/17/06 19:04 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

90k miles. Reliable car. Replaced brakes often, 3 times so far. Right rear power window failed. Dodge logo hood ornament either stolen or fell off... I suspect stolen.

Great Starter
By benstewart on 01/22/06 14:08 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Got it for high school graduation with 74,000 miles on it and couldn't be happier. I don't know what the previous owner replaced, but I have spent only 200 dollars replacing oxygen sensors. The Stratus is unusually peppy for its price and size while it gets 30 MPG on the highway. To many of the complaint reviews here: The longevity of the car can reflect the way you drive it. The back right window no longer works. Complaining about gas mileage? This gets 21 MPG city, which isn't good or bad, but keep in mind - you are reviewing it in 2004 or so, compare to cars of the same year, technology progresses! I have to admit, the gauges look cool at night.