Used 1999 Dodge Stratus ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Reliable Car
By ahhitsanathony

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 134 k miles on it, it now has 174 k miles. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded. It does have a sensor problem though. If you don't let it up shift to 4th the check engine light comes on and when it shifts down to second that's the highest you can go till you turn the car off and back on and it resets. It is very annoying but if you know to let off the gas and let it shift you're fine. It's also really good in the snow but the v6 sucks on gas.

205,000 Near Perfect and going still....
By 2004_mustang

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I got this car in Sept 2005 with 93k miles on it. 3rd owner. It has alomst 205,000k miles on it in Nov 2011. I have almost all the original parts still working fine on this. It has always started up, doesn't make noises, shakes or leaks. At 140k I changed the shocks, struts, fuel cleaning and all the fluids and filters. I do regular maintaince on this so that is why it has done so well. I did have to replace the AC unit, EGR valve, tie rod, fuel pump, water pump and that was about it other than regular tires, brakes and stuff like that. This is a basic, simple car that when maintained. Runs as good as the day it was created, most people dont maintain there cars. All pluses here.

Favorite Features

Easy to take apart on the inside to replace speakers, add additional inside parts, engine is easy to replace things, spare tire in trunk easy as well. It has a huge trunk especially when the back seats fold down. The parts are easy to find at a salvage yard and cheap rather it is new or used.

Suggested Improvements

The only Issue with this car is the power. The 4 cyliner does move once up to speed. I have the 2.4 instead of the 2.0 but getting on a busier Interstate is hard, once your up to speed it is fine. The V6 is slighly faster though. I didn't see many 4 door sedans with a sunroof. I don't think that was an option with the 4 doors, I see it in many of the 2 doors. Would be nice to have that. I guess if you added too many improvements then the car would be too high of a cost. It is really a simple easy car to work with. I do plan on retireing it for a slightly faster V6 or tubo V4 but it is hard considering how well it has been and how long I have had it. I only paid $3000 for it.

99 Stratus ES
By J. Anderson

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was about 3yrs old with about 98,000 on it. It was my first car and not knowing a whole lot about cars back then, I haven't done any of the required maintenance but it is still going strong! I did do regular oil changes! It has really been a great car! I'm surprised it has lasted this long without the suggested maintenance! It has only been within the last 4yrs (about 12,000 miles ago) that the repairs have been costly. The car has 147+k miles and still gets me here and there with a few long trips. 6 disc cd player skips, that is about the only annoying part.

Favorite Features

Leather! Love it! 6 disc changer in dash, roomy, comfortable ride. V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Newer models could have this, a latch system for car seats.

Lemon Car In My Opinion
By CaptDoc

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car Oct., 2009. It only had 82,000 miles on it then. It now has approx. 85,000. In the past 4 months I have put an additional $1,400 plus into this car replacing the following: starter, Oxygen Sensor (2), Distributor that had already been replaced a year ago by previous owner, fuel pump and fuel filter, some type of fan sensor as the the heat/air would only run in high (replaced twice in past year), and the catalytic converter. The car now makes a humming noise nobody can figure out and continues to sputter and die off and on which no body in the area can seem to figure out. I would not recommend this car to anyone or take it on long trips.

Favorite Features

interior

Suggested Improvements

Engine, transmission, electrical, and fuel system definitely needs to be redesigned and needs to be a lot more reliable.

Problems!
By Danny

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

So many problems with it. Dashboard randomly went out and none of the gauges worked for a period of time. All four tie rods went bad at 83,000. Has not been generally reliable

Favorite Features

Not too much to get excited about!

Suggested Improvements

Make it a more reliable car!