1999 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Reliable Car
By ahhitsanathony on 10/25/12 19:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 134 k miles on it, it now has 174 k miles. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded. It does have a sensor problem though. If you don't let it up shift to 4th the check engine light comes on and when it shifts down to second that's the highest you can go till you turn the car off and back on and it resets. It is very annoying but if you know to let off the gas and let it shift you're fine. It's also really good in the snow but the v6 sucks on gas.

205,000 Near Perfect and going still....
By 2004_mustang on 11/18/11 01:23 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I got this car in Sept 2005 with 93k miles on it. 3rd owner. It has alomst 205,000k miles on it in Nov 2011. I have almost all the original parts still working fine on this. It has always started up, doesn't make noises, shakes or leaks. At 140k I changed the shocks, struts, fuel cleaning and all the fluids and filters. I do regular maintaince on this so that is why it has done so well. I did have to replace the AC unit, EGR valve, tie rod, fuel pump, water pump and that was about it other than regular tires, brakes and stuff like that. This is a basic, simple car that when maintained. Runs as good as the day it was created, most people dont maintain there cars. All pluses here.

99 Stratus ES
By J. Anderson on 06/16/10 13:20 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was about 3yrs old with about 98,000 on it. It was my first car and not knowing a whole lot about cars back then, I haven't done any of the required maintenance but it is still going strong! I did do regular oil changes! It has really been a great car! I'm surprised it has lasted this long without the suggested maintenance! It has only been within the last 4yrs (about 12,000 miles ago) that the repairs have been costly. The car has 147+k miles and still gets me here and there with a few long trips. 6 disc cd player skips, that is about the only annoying part.

Lemon Car In My Opinion
By CaptDoc on 03/15/10 12:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car Oct., 2009. It only had 82,000 miles on it then. It now has approx. 85,000. In the past 4 months I have put an additional $1,400 plus into this car replacing the following: starter, Oxygen Sensor (2), Distributor that had already been replaced a year ago by previous owner, fuel pump and fuel filter, some type of fan sensor as the the heat/air would only run in high (replaced twice in past year), and the catalytic converter. The car now makes a humming noise nobody can figure out and continues to sputter and die off and on which no body in the area can seem to figure out. I would not recommend this car to anyone or take it on long trips.

Problems!
By Danny on 04/26/06 13:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

So many problems with it. Dashboard randomly went out and none of the gauges worked for a period of time. All four tie rods went bad at 83,000. Has not been generally reliable

Terrible transmission
By Laura Furko on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Tie rod failure at 51,000 miles. Almost got killed. Transmission failure at 56,000 miles. What is up with that?

Could have done better
By pcotrash on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

My Dodge Status still gets me back and forth to work but I have had several problems with it that shouldnt happen when you buy a brand new vehicle. Gas gauge stopped working and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere at 1130pm. Also have had to replace speed sensor, had the rotors turned 6 months ago and they alreadly need turning again. Several other problems also.

AWESOME!
By coo coo on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I REALLY LIKE THAT DODGE STRATUS IT IS A VERY NICE LOOKING CAR THAT IS VERY EASY TO DRIVE... IT WAS MY FIRST CAR... AND I LOVED IT!

Dodgie
By Dodgie on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Poor handling in snow! If you plan on driving this in snow, then I'd reconsider. Traction is poor and has difficulty stopping. Airconditioning is weak, but if you plan on being up in the front, it's ok. If you are going to having rear passengers, this could be a problem.

Mom, can I take the STRATUS?!?!?!
By mee-moo on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

My Stratus ES (1999 w/ Autostick) has been a very good car. I only had one, minor problem with it; the alternator cable to the battery came loose, which resulted in some arching and a bad smell. Nothing serious at all. It took no time to fix and was covered by warranty. One other problem--very, very minor--the print on the radio buttons seems to be wearing off way too early, and those shouldn't wear at all...ever.