Used 1999 Dodge Stratus Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Very Good Car
By vannp

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Got this car in 04 with 40k miles on it, replaced the brakelight switch, starter, water pump, drivers window motor & front brakes several times, rear brakes once, very comfortable car with good gas mileage, still running strong at 122k, going to buy another one for my daughter tomorrow.

Favorite Features

Aside from being just a comfortable car to drive, this car has one of the most convenient cruise control buttons of any car I've ever driven, coast set & speed up buttons are easily accesible with your thumb while still maintaing a grip on the wheel, I drive alot of airport rentals and I've yet to find one with this convenient feature.

One of the best cars ive ever owned
By smleno1mkiii

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

This car has been in my family since 2000, it only had 17,000 miles on it when my parent's bought it and has had no major problems the whole time we have owned it, The car has since been passed down to me it now has 191,000 miles on it! the only things to go wrong with it are as follows, driver side window motor at 30,000 mi covered by warranty,alternator at 70,000 mi 300$, timing belt at 152,000 but that was my moms fault as she didn't know a car had one of those, shortly after was when I acquired the car and the only problems it has given me is the starter at 181,000 and the rear transmission speed sensor the starter was about $120 the sensor was only$17.50 great car I would say.

Favorite Features

Comfortable car even with the high miles the seats still haven't had a hole worn in them ,its a peppy car, good gas mileage I average 25to 26 mpg mixed driving worst it ever got was 22 mpg have got as high as 29 or 30 before on trips on the highway always got me from point a to point b engine is great mine is the 2.4 DOHC and even after 191,000miles it still doesn't smoke and runs like the day we got it.

Suggested Improvements

None great car.

Good ride.
By Frank

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I think this is a good vehicle it might just be me but it has already left me stranded onces It was the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. 260 bucks to get that fixed less than a month after buying it at a local fire rescue auction for 2400 and a few days after getting that fixed my master cylinder for the brakes went out plus i had to change my back brakes because they were completely spent. so in less than a month of driving I've spend an extra 600 bucks on the car. Now it seems to be running excellent and i hope it does not give me any problems cuz im broke now. but its a very nice car to drive if it does not give me anymore problems I wont be sorry i bought it.

Favorite Features

I like the white meters and factory speakers thump. definitely a good sounding car. it has plenty of room for your legs even backseaters will be alright.

Suggested Improvements

It's not very sound proof on the highway. it needs more headroom i sometimes bump my head on the roof. BETTER MPG I get 280 miles per tank that is not good at all that's 17.5 miles per gallon maybe its the way i drive. or the a/c.

Runs Like a Champ
By Andrew

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

This was an amazing first car. it has 140,000 miles on it and still runs great. Its about to get towed off though due to hitting a deer at 65mph, but it was still able to get me safely back home. GREAT GAS MILEAGE if you take this on the highway going 65-75 u can get 400+ miles to a full tank of gass. Other than keeping up the maintance,this car has always gotten me from point A to B. Never left me stranded or finding another way to school, work, a date, or any other venue. Almoast feels like a tank in the snow. Getting plowed in i thought it would never make it out put a slight touch on the gas and i was on my was just like that. Though im getting a newer vehcile i hate to part with it

Favorite Features

Im not sure if its a feature but well reliablity. Powered locks,windows, and sunroof. Great gas mileage. All around a very pretty solid and dependable car.

Suggested Improvements

More power would be nice but more power is always nice

100,000 Going strong
By Tom

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new. It has 100,000 miles now. Used Mobil 1 since new. Never touched the motor. Blew the tranny differential burning out on ice (on accident). Differentials don't like one tire on ice, the other on the road. Paint is still shiny. Runs like new. The 2.4L has plenty of pep and gets 30mpg highway.

Favorite Features

Peppy, practical car for money.