Used 1999 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Reliable Car
By ahhitsanathony

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 134 k miles on it, it now has 174 k miles. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It has never left me stranded. It does have a sensor problem though. If you don't let it up shift to 4th the check engine light comes on and when it shifts down to second that's the highest you can go till you turn the car off and back on and it resets. It is very annoying but if you know to let off the gas and let it shift you're fine. It's also really good in the snow but the v6 sucks on gas.

205,000 Near Perfect and going still....
By 2004_mustang

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I got this car in Sept 2005 with 93k miles on it. 3rd owner. It has alomst 205,000k miles on it in Nov 2011. I have almost all the original parts still working fine on this. It has always started up, doesn't make noises, shakes or leaks. At 140k I changed the shocks, struts, fuel cleaning and all the fluids and filters. I do regular maintaince on this so that is why it has done so well. I did have to replace the AC unit, EGR valve, tie rod, fuel pump, water pump and that was about it other than regular tires, brakes and stuff like that. This is a basic, simple car that when maintained. Runs as good as the day it was created, most people dont maintain there cars. All pluses here.

Favorite Features

Easy to take apart on the inside to replace speakers, add additional inside parts, engine is easy to replace things, spare tire in trunk easy as well. It has a huge trunk especially when the back seats fold down. The parts are easy to find at a salvage yard and cheap rather it is new or used.

Suggested Improvements

The only Issue with this car is the power. The 4 cyliner does move once up to speed. I have the 2.4 instead of the 2.0 but getting on a busier Interstate is hard, once your up to speed it is fine. The V6 is slighly faster though. I didn't see many 4 door sedans with a sunroof. I don't think that was an option with the 4 doors, I see it in many of the 2 doors. Would be nice to have that. I guess if you added too many improvements then the car would be too high of a cost. It is really a simple easy car to work with. I do plan on retireing it for a slightly faster V6 or tubo V4 but it is hard considering how well it has been and how long I have had it. I only paid $3000 for it.

Very Good Car
By vannp

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Got this car in 04 with 40k miles on it, replaced the brakelight switch, starter, water pump, drivers window motor & front brakes several times, rear brakes once, very comfortable car with good gas mileage, still running strong at 122k, going to buy another one for my daughter tomorrow.

Favorite Features

Aside from being just a comfortable car to drive, this car has one of the most convenient cruise control buttons of any car I've ever driven, coast set & speed up buttons are easily accesible with your thumb while still maintaing a grip on the wheel, I drive alot of airport rentals and I've yet to find one with this convenient feature.

One of the best cars ive ever owned
By smleno1mkiii

1999 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

This car has been in my family since 2000, it only had 17,000 miles on it when my parent's bought it and has had no major problems the whole time we have owned it, The car has since been passed down to me it now has 191,000 miles on it! the only things to go wrong with it are as follows, driver side window motor at 30,000 mi covered by warranty,alternator at 70,000 mi 300$, timing belt at 152,000 but that was my moms fault as she didn't know a car had one of those, shortly after was when I acquired the car and the only problems it has given me is the starter at 181,000 and the rear transmission speed sensor the starter was about $120 the sensor was only$17.50 great car I would say.

Favorite Features

Comfortable car even with the high miles the seats still haven't had a hole worn in them ,its a peppy car, good gas mileage I average 25to 26 mpg mixed driving worst it ever got was 22 mpg have got as high as 29 or 30 before on trips on the highway always got me from point a to point b engine is great mine is the 2.4 DOHC and even after 191,000miles it still doesn't smoke and runs like the day we got it.

Suggested Improvements

None great car.

99 Stratus ES
By J. Anderson

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was about 3yrs old with about 98,000 on it. It was my first car and not knowing a whole lot about cars back then, I haven't done any of the required maintenance but it is still going strong! I did do regular oil changes! It has really been a great car! I'm surprised it has lasted this long without the suggested maintenance! It has only been within the last 4yrs (about 12,000 miles ago) that the repairs have been costly. The car has 147+k miles and still gets me here and there with a few long trips. 6 disc cd player skips, that is about the only annoying part.

Favorite Features

Leather! Love it! 6 disc changer in dash, roomy, comfortable ride. V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Newer models could have this, a latch system for car seats.