Used 1998 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Why such a bad Head Gasket
By Ziggy99

1998 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I have been happy with the car except for the engine work required. Head Gasket failure at 80K was rediculous even with reqular maintenance. (Major failure came after coolant and oil change at the dealer.) Did they cover it under a recall no because i had more than 50k on the car. If it wasnt for the big ticket repair bills i would be very happy with the car. Nice interior (best in its class if you ask me)

Interior and styling of the car.

Very poor engine design with headgasket problems.

Nice Car, Bad Engines
By Bob Nolan

1998 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

This car is a great car for anyone who would like to own one, put few miles on it each year, and sell it prior to 60,000 miles. Chrysler should be shot in the head for using the crappy engines (2.0 and 2.4l engines) in these cars. After 60,000 miles, trade it, sell it, whatever, just get rid of it. A head gasket leak will turn into a $3,000 repair in no time. Other than that, great response, great handling, and an all around economical car in a good package.

Very nice stock sound with the premium package. Cab-forward design makes a tall fat guy like me comfortable in it. CAb-forward design makes folks in the back seart comfortable too.

Engines need to last more than 60,000 miles. ALso, the passenger seat is slightly uncomfroatble, as it does not cradle the occupant in any way. The trunk lid is more like a hatchback than a sedan.

Wow!
By greyfox

1998 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I bought it used, dealer certified, 2.4L, 4 cyl, at 54k. I put Mobil One synthetic in it, had all four brakes done, tune-up, and now have 66k on it. I love it. Reliable, looks good, incredible sound system, handles well. To check hiway mileage, I did 150 miles, set the cruise for 62 mph, all highway, and got an incredible 36 mpg! I'm told it does use front brake pads, but that's a small price to pay for an all-around great car. I'd buy another newer one if I could. Hauls butt too, for a 4 cyl! Highly recommended.

Sound system, reliability, looks, mileage.

Coffee cup holder is awkwardly placed.

A solid Car
By Dodge Driver

Good car - had to replace head gasket at about 80k, but no major issues

review
By lurch

1998 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

great car, has really lasted, have well over 100,000 miles and looks and runs like it is new