Used 1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Most Helpful|
A Good Car with no problems
By Sue

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought my ES used from original owner. It is the top of the line for the year and the only problem I had is with brakes, changed twice in 3 months one year, but it was due to defective brakes. Engine has 151,000 miles. The car handles well and runs soundly. Never had an engine problem or anything major happen. Starts up every time, doesn't leak a single drop of oil, still gets 26 mpg highway. I have always had good luck with Dodge and my next car (picking up tomorrow) is the 2008 Avenger SXT, which is replacing the Stratus. The Stratus is a well made vehicle, at least mine is, anyway!

Favorite Features

Leather interior, good handling, great stereo, lots of trunk space, low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Lousy cup holders, right under the shifter! Whoever designed that surely never drank a soda or bottle of water while driving! Thankfully my new Avenger has shown a great improvement in that area.

Suprising Car
By JH

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

My first car was a 1998 Dodge Stratus that I received over two years ago from my grandfather when I was 15. It had 110K miles on it and now has about 140K miles. Annual maintenance was not done on the car so we had to buy new brakes, tires, and the points and plugs were are now all new. Now the mechanic wants over $400 for a new oil pan. The transmission runs like new and its a fun car to drive so we decided to keep it until it completely falls apart without putting any more money into it. Overall, the Stratus was a nice easy car to learn how to drive in, but there are more reliable options out there. If price is an issue, the Stratus is always a good option.

Favorite Features

"Peppy" engine, smooth and reliable transmission, large backseat leg room, engine easy enough that I was able to make a few minor repairs

Suggested Improvements

Windshield washer nozzles don't work, power windows are slow, lights are not very bright, brights are useless, lots of repairs, my back door panel is falling off

Many Miles and Many Repairs
By clintonanthony

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2006 with 80k on it. Needed to immediately replace water pump and deal with leaking oil pan. It is now 2013, so it's been a fairly okay car for me to get it over 150,000 miles. I need to 'junk' the car now, because it's no good. I live in PA and the bottom of the car is completely rusted out, rocker panels are covered up with rivits and tin. I've tried to frequently wash the car to avoid this, but it was inevitable. My frame is 'soft' and won't pass another inspection. I would have liked to of got more than 150k out of the car, but it's not going to happen.

Favorite Features

The interior was easy to keep clean. Nice big trunk and fold down seat. Took the car on long trips and it always seemed to be comfortable. Easy to see out the back. It seems like a 'solid' car, because I've hit 2 deer and a pole (all on separate occasions) and have dents all over the car from this, but it's nothing major.

Suggested Improvements

However, I've needed to replace all the brakes every year. I completely lost my back brakes twice, putting me in dangerous situations. The brakes are awful to work on, especially the back ones. I do a lot of city driving, but the problems I've had with my brakes is ridiculous. The battery is under the bumper and need to take tire off to get to it. After getting the car, immediately needed to replace water pump. Needed to replace fuel pump last year. Needed to replace timing belt, and it's squealed ever since then. My mechanic told me flat out that he hates working on my car, everything is hard to get to. The lighting and the cup holders in the car are terrible.

I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!
By cj95

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

my stepbrother has owned a 98 for about a year and is constantly bringing it to me asking me to fix this and that, the things rides like a hotwheels on concrete, you can feel every bump in the road, and when you hit the throttle first of all, it feels like your going no where and second the pathetic, noisy 4 cyl can wake the dead! I hate dodge! Ford all the way!

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise, suspension, horsepower, stereo

Will never buy a Dodge Again
By tarheel

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000, it's a 1998 the oil light stayed on when I turned key on but dealer finds nothing wrong, after about 50,000 the head gasket blows, before that the fuel pump went bad,now the engine shakes needs motor mounts on the front, brakes wear down fast i'm disappointed in dodge/chrysler cars i will not purchase or suggest anyone buy one, dodge won't change until someone gets seriously hurt driving one of there products, i thought about getting a chrysler town and country but after reading reviews and all the complaints no way, i might go to hyundai for a nice ride now.

Favorite Features

cassette player, heat

Suggested Improvements

better engine and brakes