1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Great Value
By JJL on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 5 years and 60,000 miles without a single problem. Not even a couple of bitter cold Buffalo winters have slowed it down. The interior size is deceivingly large, as many passengers have told me over the years. Trunk space is also exceptional. The 4 cylinder engine gets tremendous gas mileage and provides a surpising amount of response and pick-up. I would certainly consider buying another one.

Reliable ES
By Alagamon on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car has been extremely reliable for me. This car only needed oil, brakes and air filters until I hit 95K and then it was time for tires. At 105K I had all the maintenance items done new battery, plus,wires, coolant, etc. I ad tie rods and wheel bearings done as well. I am now at 175K and it is still going strong. It has been so reliable that when we needed a second car in 2000, we bought the exact smae car two years newer dofferent color.

great car
By gtzspeeddemon on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. My wife sold her 97 Sunfire and bought this. The engine compartment is kind of tight, but it is a big engine in a small car. The 2.5 is reliable and powerful, the auto stick is a must have. Changing spark plugs at 100k will be a pain, but it only has to be done every 100k, right? Great looks, in and out, perfect sized for 3 person family. Put fatter/lower profile tires on it, looks awesome. All around an awesome car, currently drive a 92 dakota, if i wasnt a huge GM scucker, i would buy one.

Let's be honest...
By jelenap on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Let's be honest: this car is fun to drive on;y when it is not in the shop (and bills are not fun at all). And it is a reliable only after you replace a transmission, engine and brakes.

98 Stratus
By 98stratus on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle when I turned 17, it's a good reliable car to drive, the handling is decent. I have so far replaced the brakes, the headgasket (under warranty), and the tires... around 70K miles... the car now has 95000.. I now plan on trading it in soon for an Eddie Bauer Explorer. All and all it's a good reliable car!

Please Fix The Gasket Problem
By paulf on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have 107,511 miles on my 1998 Stratus. I bought it before it even had the chance to even hit the lot and have put every mile on it. I haven't had any mechanical problems at all except for the oil mixing with the antifreeze. All I've had done to it, besides routine maintenance was change the timing belt at 100,000 miles. I must admit that even with the head gasket problem, It has not been a bad car. I would recomend it. Plus it look's great.

This car is excellent in all catagories.
By 98stratuses on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with 28000 miles on it in August of 2000. We haven't had any trouble with his car except front brake replacement,and replaced distributor cap. Total repairs for 14 months, $360.47,labor included.The speedometer just rolled 50000 today and it still drives like a new car. We went new car shopping. Decided we had as good as a new car so we decided to keep our 1998 Dodge Stratus ES.Go buy one. you'll be glad you did.Buy the 1998 Dodge Stratus ES. Check it out in the Consumer Magazine. for 1998 model cars.

It costs how much?
By hatedodge on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have the 2.4 DOHC in my Stratus and have had problems every December since purchase. I've gone through 2 head gaskets and a head (it was cracked AND warped) and just took it to the shop for my 3rd round of head work. Chrysler has covered 2/3 of the cost each time, but they should just recall the suckers and get the problem solved!! I used to love Chryslers, but this one has soured me forever.

Great car
By AlOrlando on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I drive alot for business, and have not been let down or disappointed. The 2.4L engine has plenty of power for highway driving and gets good mileage. Just turned 96000 miles, and have replaced only battery, brakes, tires, drive belt, filters and plugs so no complaints there. Plenty of room inside, all though the roof line could have been a little higher. A 6 foot driver will brush the top on occaison. Good deal for the money, seats 5 people - no problem. Like the new ones, and would consider another Dodge.

Engine problems with the 1998 Stratus
By jandm5254 on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has gone through 2 headgaskets in the first 60,000 miles. It is currently in need of ball joint replacement. It is difficult to see out of the rear window. I guess you get what you pay for.