1998 Stratus w/Auto+Slap Manual Trans
By FishTale on
1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan
I originally bought this car for my wife to drive. But, when I realized what the "Slap Stick" trans was all about, she had to get in line. This transmission is the best I've driven, not only for the enjoyment, but for safety. You can be going 60 mph or more while in automatic and then slap into the manual on the fly. The manual trans kicks in, but only as the speed and synchromesh allows. It will bring the car to a slow speed very rapidly, as you slap those gears down. Couple that with the all-ABS, and this is one easy and safe car to control. I've maintained the trans without fail, periodically getting the full flush treatment. I've experienced no problems with this unique trans.
Favorite Features
Obviously the combined auto+manual trans. The good looking, smooth design; small enough to get into tight spots without the discomfort of a compact.
Suggested Improvements
Some annoying electrical issues, not major problems. If you turn the key off first, you then have to turn the light switch off-on and off again. Recently experienced starting failures when wet or heavy moisture. Mechanic fixed problem by plugging hole in low- hung module casting.