Used 1998 Dodge Stratus ES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

Great First Car
By michaela96

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this 15 year old car for $1500. It had 180K on it but still runs smoothly. It handles great and should last anyone a long time so long as they keep up the maintenance and do repairs as needed. Before when I thought of the brand "Dodge", the first thing that came to mind was gas guzzling trucks. To my surprise this car gets pretty good gas mileage. I've had it over a month now and I love it. My goal is to get it to last me through this winter with out having any major problems.

Favorite Features

Cruise control, good sound system, accelerates very well for a car this old

Many Miles and Many Repairs
By clintonanthony

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2006 with 80k on it. Needed to immediately replace water pump and deal with leaking oil pan. It is now 2013, so it's been a fairly okay car for me to get it over 150,000 miles. I need to 'junk' the car now, because it's no good. I live in PA and the bottom of the car is completely rusted out, rocker panels are covered up with rivits and tin. I've tried to frequently wash the car to avoid this, but it was inevitable. My frame is 'soft' and won't pass another inspection. I would have liked to of got more than 150k out of the car, but it's not going to happen.

Favorite Features

The interior was easy to keep clean. Nice big trunk and fold down seat. Took the car on long trips and it always seemed to be comfortable. Easy to see out the back. It seems like a 'solid' car, because I've hit 2 deer and a pole (all on separate occasions) and have dents all over the car from this, but it's nothing major.

Suggested Improvements

However, I've needed to replace all the brakes every year. I completely lost my back brakes twice, putting me in dangerous situations. The brakes are awful to work on, especially the back ones. I do a lot of city driving, but the problems I've had with my brakes is ridiculous. The battery is under the bumper and need to take tire off to get to it. After getting the car, immediately needed to replace water pump. Needed to replace fuel pump last year. Needed to replace timing belt, and it's squealed ever since then. My mechanic told me flat out that he hates working on my car, everything is hard to get to. The lighting and the cup holders in the car are terrible.

I love this car
By mikoollowrentow

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Got this car used w/100,000 miles on her and she still runs great! Sporty car handles great and very fun to drive. I get great mileage 23/30. Very fast car!

Favorite Features

Handling speed fuel mileage looks great reliable

Suggested Improvements

High beams could be brighter

1998 es 4 door sedan
By RR50

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I see a lot of negative reviews for this car , so I might have just got lucky. Without any doubt this was the best car I have ever owned and would not hesitate to buy another one . I quit buying Chrysler a long time ago.( I am 50 yrs old) But couldn't pass this one up. Paid $1000 with 135,000 miles on it. It now has 280,000 miles and engine and tranny are still strong.Never one problem. Only changed normal wear parts.(brakes,belts,etc.)

Favorite Features

Handles like a dream. I've owned and rented dozens and dozens of cars and none compare to this car. period.. consistent 27 mpg and I drive it hard.this engine (2.4 L)is very fast.

Suggested Improvements

headlight lens could be better. Mine glazed over maybe from the sun.They don't shine bright anymore.

good car while on a budget W/ warrenty!
By Raymond

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

i purchased this strats ES used with 92,000 on it. It's been a fairly reliable car as i have driven it to Danville,VA from Jamestown, NY. I feel safe to travel in this car but the battery gave me very little warning that it was about to die. then to my surprise the batt. is located in front driver side bumper. you have to remove the wheel to get too it. the same goes for the Chrysler cirrus and plymouth breeze. sneaky of chrysler to do this. i now have 140,000 miles on the car and my check engine light keeps popping on. i took it to the shop and i find out that its the transmission and im not replaceing it. i would buy another stratus but make sure you get a warranty with the car.

Favorite Features

love the style of the car - fog lights - 2.5 V-6 motor - radio system - car has great get up and go - larger 15 in rims.

Suggested Improvements

needs to come STANDARD with daytime running lights. faulty abs computer. bad battery placement. better trannys. better headlight housings. traction control needs added.