Used 1998 Dodge Stratus Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!
By cj95

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

my stepbrother has owned a 98 for about a year and is constantly bringing it to me asking me to fix this and that, the things rides like a hotwheels on concrete, you can feel every bump in the road, and when you hit the throttle first of all, it feels like your going no where and second the pathetic, noisy 4 cyl can wake the dead! I hate dodge! Ford all the way!

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise, suspension, horsepower, stereo

Wow what a great little hoopty!
By dsilvestri

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car because it was a cheap manual transmission car with nice cold working AC and with gas prices at around 3.50 a gallon and the car being only $800 bucks i bought it even if i got a few months out of it i wouldnt lose, but honestly being skeptical of it at first because it was a 14yr old DODGE and i figured i would drive it until i could afford to get into a car payment again on a brand new car honestly now im so in love with this old car that i figured why would i even need a car pymnt when this car is paid 4, super dependable, and the gas mileage i get out of it is ridiculous its over 30mpg easy ha even the stock radio is sounds good, 127k and im the 2nd owner, mine was a deal!

Favorite Features

Style of the car is cool, stock radio sounds pretty good, the a/c couldnt be better, acceleration is decent since its a manual transmission and it chirps second when u get on it, power windows and locks standard, remote trunk release, mid size car with full size car interior room, but my absolute favorite feature is how much this car hates the gas station i drive alot here and there with my friends hanging out i actually think we spend more time driving then in any one location and this freaking car is always ready and always has gas even when it says E we still get a couple more trips until we put gas in it again, so not sure if its only my 2.0 Stratus but its gets A's across the board!

Suggested Improvements

Clear coat chipping a little but its 14yrs old so i guess thats normal but paint still shines!

Suprising Car
By JH

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

My first car was a 1998 Dodge Stratus that I received over two years ago from my grandfather when I was 15. It had 110K miles on it and now has about 140K miles. Annual maintenance was not done on the car so we had to buy new brakes, tires, and the points and plugs were are now all new. Now the mechanic wants over $400 for a new oil pan. The transmission runs like new and its a fun car to drive so we decided to keep it until it completely falls apart without putting any more money into it. Overall, the Stratus was a nice easy car to learn how to drive in, but there are more reliable options out there. If price is an issue, the Stratus is always a good option.

Favorite Features

"Peppy" engine, smooth and reliable transmission, large backseat leg room, engine easy enough that I was able to make a few minor repairs

Suggested Improvements

Windshield washer nozzles don't work, power windows are slow, lights are not very bright, brights are useless, lots of repairs, my back door panel is falling off

1998 dodge stratus
By Bonnie

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just bought this vehicle n love it bought it w/ some minor problems it's leakin oil n has ben no easy task in discoverin where it's leakin, we'r tinkin it's the sensor off the side of the motor since it's all wet there n all the way down the motor! Also keeps eating batteries? it's standard which is half the reason I bought it it is so fun 2 drive handles well n plenty of room in the back 4 my 2 children their car seats n toys! Hopefully after I get the minor repairs done it will last I'm a lil worried since it has high mileage but it runs sound despite leakin a qrt of oil once a wk. Hopefully nothin Major needs replacin!

Favorite Features

easy 2 drive standard! comfortable fun 2 drive car!

Suggested Improvements

better engine design n accesablity 2 important elements of engine. Dodge think customer not cashtomer!!!!

BEST PURCHASE I COULD HAVE MADE!
By Emily

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right before my 18th B-Day and couldn't have chose anything better. It had 151,000 miles and now has over 200,000 miles on it and still running. Paid $1500 for it and need some minor repair. But with $4,000 (got all the work done at a dealership) into it I still have no regrets!

Favorite Features

VERY FUN TO DRIVE!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders! The middle console needs to be sealed better.