Used 1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!
By cj95

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

my stepbrother has owned a 98 for about a year and is constantly bringing it to me asking me to fix this and that, the things rides like a hotwheels on concrete, you can feel every bump in the road, and when you hit the throttle first of all, it feels like your going no where and second the pathetic, noisy 4 cyl can wake the dead! I hate dodge! Ford all the way!

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise, suspension, horsepower, stereo

Great First Car
By michaela96

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this 15 year old car for $1500. It had 180K on it but still runs smoothly. It handles great and should last anyone a long time so long as they keep up the maintenance and do repairs as needed. Before when I thought of the brand "Dodge", the first thing that came to mind was gas guzzling trucks. To my surprise this car gets pretty good gas mileage. I've had it over a month now and I love it. My goal is to get it to last me through this winter with out having any major problems.

Favorite Features

Cruise control, good sound system, accelerates very well for a car this old

Many Miles and Many Repairs
By clintonanthony

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2006 with 80k on it. Needed to immediately replace water pump and deal with leaking oil pan. It is now 2013, so it's been a fairly okay car for me to get it over 150,000 miles. I need to 'junk' the car now, because it's no good. I live in PA and the bottom of the car is completely rusted out, rocker panels are covered up with rivits and tin. I've tried to frequently wash the car to avoid this, but it was inevitable. My frame is 'soft' and won't pass another inspection. I would have liked to of got more than 150k out of the car, but it's not going to happen.

Favorite Features

The interior was easy to keep clean. Nice big trunk and fold down seat. Took the car on long trips and it always seemed to be comfortable. Easy to see out the back. It seems like a 'solid' car, because I've hit 2 deer and a pole (all on separate occasions) and have dents all over the car from this, but it's nothing major.

Suggested Improvements

However, I've needed to replace all the brakes every year. I completely lost my back brakes twice, putting me in dangerous situations. The brakes are awful to work on, especially the back ones. I do a lot of city driving, but the problems I've had with my brakes is ridiculous. The battery is under the bumper and need to take tire off to get to it. After getting the car, immediately needed to replace water pump. Needed to replace fuel pump last year. Needed to replace timing belt, and it's squealed ever since then. My mechanic told me flat out that he hates working on my car, everything is hard to get to. The lighting and the cup holders in the car are terrible.

Wow what a great little hoopty!
By dsilvestri

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I got this car because it was a cheap manual transmission car with nice cold working AC and with gas prices at around 3.50 a gallon and the car being only $800 bucks i bought it even if i got a few months out of it i wouldnt lose, but honestly being skeptical of it at first because it was a 14yr old DODGE and i figured i would drive it until i could afford to get into a car payment again on a brand new car honestly now im so in love with this old car that i figured why would i even need a car pymnt when this car is paid 4, super dependable, and the gas mileage i get out of it is ridiculous its over 30mpg easy ha even the stock radio is sounds good, 127k and im the 2nd owner, mine was a deal!

Favorite Features

Style of the car is cool, stock radio sounds pretty good, the a/c couldnt be better, acceleration is decent since its a manual transmission and it chirps second when u get on it, power windows and locks standard, remote trunk release, mid size car with full size car interior room, but my absolute favorite feature is how much this car hates the gas station i drive alot here and there with my friends hanging out i actually think we spend more time driving then in any one location and this freaking car is always ready and always has gas even when it says E we still get a couple more trips until we put gas in it again, so not sure if its only my 2.0 Stratus but its gets A's across the board!

Suggested Improvements

Clear coat chipping a little but its 14yrs old so i guess thats normal but paint still shines!

I love this car
By mikoollowrentow

1998 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Got this car used w/100,000 miles on her and she still runs great! Sporty car handles great and very fun to drive. I get great mileage 23/30. Very fast car!

Favorite Features

Handling speed fuel mileage looks great reliable

Suggested Improvements

High beams could be brighter