1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

ES Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Great First Car
By michaela96 on 07/03/13 07:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this 15 year old car for $1500. It had 180K on it but still runs smoothly. It handles great and should last anyone a long time so long as they keep up the maintenance and do repairs as needed. Before when I thought of the brand "Dodge", the first thing that came to mind was gas guzzling trucks. To my surprise this car gets pretty good gas mileage. I've had it over a month now and I love it. My goal is to get it to last me through this winter with out having any major problems.

Many Miles and Many Repairs
By clintonanthony on 03/09/13 11:52 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2006 with 80k on it. Needed to immediately replace water pump and deal with leaking oil pan. It is now 2013, so it's been a fairly okay car for me to get it over 150,000 miles. I need to 'junk' the car now, because it's no good. I live in PA and the bottom of the car is completely rusted out, rocker panels are covered up with rivits and tin. I've tried to frequently wash the car to avoid this, but it was inevitable. My frame is 'soft' and won't pass another inspection. I would have liked to of got more than 150k out of the car, but it's not going to happen.

I love this car
By mikoollowrentow on 05/18/10 03:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Got this car used w/100,000 miles on her and she still runs great! Sporty car handles great and very fun to drive. I get great mileage 23/30. Very fast car!

1998 es 4 door sedan
By RR50 on 04/16/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I see a lot of negative reviews for this car , so I might have just got lucky. Without any doubt this was the best car I have ever owned and would not hesitate to buy another one . I quit buying Chrysler a long time ago.( I am 50 yrs old) But couldn't pass this one up. Paid $1000 with 135,000 miles on it. It now has 280,000 miles and engine and tranny are still strong.Never one problem. Only changed normal wear parts.(brakes,belts,etc.)

good car while on a budget W/ warrenty!
By Raymond on 03/24/08 14:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

i purchased this strats ES used with 92,000 on it. It's been a fairly reliable car as i have driven it to Danville,VA from Jamestown, NY. I feel safe to travel in this car but the battery gave me very little warning that it was about to die. then to my surprise the batt. is located in front driver side bumper. you have to remove the wheel to get too it. the same goes for the Chrysler cirrus and plymouth breeze. sneaky of chrysler to do this. i now have 140,000 miles on the car and my check engine light keeps popping on. i took it to the shop and i find out that its the transmission and im not replaceing it. i would buy another stratus but make sure you get a warranty with the car.

Was a Great Car for Me
By JimW8 on 07/16/07 07:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

My experience with my 1998 Dodge Stratus (2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine) was very good. The car was completely reliable and gave me only one problem at about 40K miles (transmission cooler hose leaked and was quickly and inexpensively repaired) until it hit 143,800 miles. Then the transmission went bad, so I sold it rather than spend the $1800 to have a rebuilt transmission put into it.

1998 Stratus w/Auto+Slap Manual Trans
By FishTale on 07/12/07 03:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I originally bought this car for my wife to drive. But, when I realized what the "Slap Stick" trans was all about, she had to get in line. This transmission is the best I've driven, not only for the enjoyment, but for safety. You can be going 60 mph or more while in automatic and then slap into the manual on the fly. The manual trans kicks in, but only as the speed and synchromesh allows. It will bring the car to a slow speed very rapidly, as you slap those gears down. Couple that with the all-ABS, and this is one easy and safe car to control. I've maintained the trans without fail, periodically getting the full flush treatment. I've experienced no problems with this unique trans.

A Good Car with no problems
By Sue on 03/26/07 18:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Bought my ES used from original owner. It is the top of the line for the year and the only problem I had is with brakes, changed twice in 3 months one year, but it was due to defective brakes. Engine has 151,000 miles. The car handles well and runs soundly. Never had an engine problem or anything major happen. Starts up every time, doesn't leak a single drop of oil, still gets 26 mpg highway. I have always had good luck with Dodge and my next car (picking up tomorrow) is the 2008 Avenger SXT, which is replacing the Stratus. The Stratus is a well made vehicle, at least mine is, anyway!

Not too bad!
By Justin on 03/05/07 04:27 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

So I bought this car with 228 000km on it and it has about 236,000. It has been back to Nb a couple of times. I only have had to replace the front brake pads! The engine makes unusual noises but then again i drive it pretty hard. It was kinda last minute decision to buy this car. Pick it up sick for a v6 but like i said its older and underpowered. Shakes on the highway and just in generally very poorly constructed. Transmission is so unreliable its a sin but still I'm attached to it. It isn't bad for first car owners

A lucky find or a total bomb
By Allen on 10/28/05 21:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Dodge isn't consistent in this model. Some people get lucky and have no engine problems and some people don't. If your considering a stratus that has 'minor' engine problems DONT GET IT PERIOD! Bought mine with a 'small oil leak.' Ended up replacing the OEM headgasket ($1500 no biggie considering what I paid for it at the time--it was a common problem) fixed that and in a week the rear main oil seal went out. I knew I had problems and tried to sell it but now the transaxle quit and the engine is missfiring. After $3000.00 into it I can't sell it for a cent!