Used 1998 Dodge Stratus ES Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

This is the worst car I have ever owned!
By Kyrsten

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I traded my 1997 Isuzu Rodeo for this car back when gas was almost $4 and I really wish I hadn't!! My rodeo got better gas mileage than this car does! I got this car used and obviously the people who had it before me didn't take very good care of it. I've had it for a year and it's been to the mechanics 5 different times. I've had it stop running while I was driving down the road. It has oil leaks everywhere, the belts all squeal, it brakes for crap, it doesn't want to accelerate, the headlights are dim at best, and it slides when it rains. I can't hardly fit anything into this car and now the entire front interior of the car is wet. The seats have held up well, so there's that...I'm trying to buy a new car and this car has crap for trade-in value.

Great First Car
By michaela96

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this 15 year old car for $1500. It had 180K on it but still runs smoothly. It handles great and should last anyone a long time so long as they keep up the maintenance and do repairs as needed. Before when I thought of the brand "Dodge", the first thing that came to mind was gas guzzling trucks. To my surprise this car gets pretty good gas mileage. I've had it over a month now and I love it. My goal is to get it to last me through this winter with out having any major problems.

Cruise control, good sound system, accelerates very well for a car this old

Many Miles and Many Repairs
By clintonanthony

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 2006 with 80k on it.
Needed to immediately replace water pump and deal with leaking oil pan.
It is now 2013, so it's been a fairly okay car for me to get it over 150,000 miles.

I need to 'junk' the car now, because it's no good.
I live in PA and the bottom of the car is completely rusted out, rocker panels are covered up with rivits and tin.
I've tried to frequently wash the car to avoid this, but it was inevitable. My frame is 'soft' and won't pass another inspection.
I would have liked to of got more than 150k out of the car, but it's not going to happen.

The interior was easy to keep clean. Nice big trunk and fold down seat. Took the car on long trips and it always seemed to be comfortable. Easy to see out the back. It seems like a 'solid' car, because I've hit 2 deer and a pole (all on separate occasions) and have dents all over the car from this, but it's nothing major.

However, I've needed to replace all the brakes every year. I completely lost my back brakes twice, putting me in dangerous situations. The brakes are awful to work on, especially the back ones. I do a lot of city driving, but the problems I've had with my brakes is ridiculous. The battery is under the bumper and need to take tire off to get to it. After getting the car, immediately needed to replace water pump. Needed to replace fuel pump last year. Needed to replace timing belt, and it's squealed ever since then. My mechanic told me flat out that he hates working on my car, everything is hard to get to. The lighting and the cup holders in the car are terrible.

I love this car
By mikoollowrentow

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Got this car used w/100,000 miles on her and she still runs great! Sporty car handles great and very fun to drive. I get great mileage 23/30. Very fast car!

Handling speed fuel mileage looks great reliable

High beams could be brighter

1998 es 4 door sedan
By RR50

1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I see a lot of negative reviews for this car , so I might have just got lucky. Without any doubt this was the best car I have ever owned and would not hesitate to buy another one . I quit buying Chrysler a long time ago.( I am 50 yrs old) But couldn't pass this one up. Paid $1000 with 135,000 miles on it. It now has 280,000 miles and engine and tranny are still strong.Never one problem. Only changed normal wear parts.(brakes,belts,etc.)

Handles like a dream. I've owned and rented dozens and dozens of cars and none compare to this car. period.. consistent 27 mpg and I drive it hard.this engine (2.4 L)is very fast.

headlight lens could be better. Mine glazed over maybe from the sun.They don't shine bright anymore.