My Wonderful Green Machine
By Dave Perry on
1997 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan
I purchased the car new with about 12,000 miles on it. I believe a salesperson from the dealership used it, however, the car drive and looked like brand new when I purchased it. My wife fell in love with it. She worked about 75 miles from our home and drive it 5 days a week which equated to about 150 miles per day and more than 36,000 mile a year. She now has another car (for the sake of a new one) and I now drive it. It has close to 220,000 miles on it and is still running strong. The biggest cost was the head gasket replacement once it passed 55,000 miles at my expense ($1250.00). Other than that, repairs were only routine as with any reliable car. I love this car!! Its part of me.
Favorite Features
It rides and drives great. I have a 2.4 engine. The pick up and go is fantastic. The trans and timing belt is holding up great as well. Will have timing belt changed soon although it is not showing signs of trouble. Only believe it time. Everything works as it did new with of course some wear.
Suggested Improvements
I suggest improvement on the hood latch. As a former auto mechanic, I made minor adjustment to the factory set up that fixed my latching problem. One would have to take it to the dealership for the repair if not mechanical incline. I found later this and the head gasket was a factory defect.