1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
1 of the best cars I've had in 30+ years
By Ron on 12/30/09 18:39 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just had to retire the car today, cracked the transmission case on a pot hole, repair more than the car is worth. It will be missed, it was a very comfortable car that handled well and gave me 24mpg city and just under 32mpg at 70 on highway. Rode like a much bigger car and handled quite well. Had just under 180k on it but didn't drive like it. Good in snow. Had to buy a car today, if not would have looked for another one, maybe a few years newer.

Great ride, for little money.
By TuxMan on 10/20/09 08:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought mine used for $2,000 with 60,000 miles on the motor, 110,000 on the transmission, passed emmissions. Spent less than $1,000 for new tires, brakes, and shocks. Serviced the transmission at 115,000 for less than $150 for new fluid and filter. Starter went out a year later, less than $300 to replace. Overall I've spent less than $3,500 for the car and all repairs.

good car for the money
By jeremy on 06/17/09 05:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

got the car with 90,0000 but a timeing belt in at 120,0000 and but a water pump at 245,000 and the car now has 260,000 and is still running strong with the origanal moter and tranny car is fun to drive and good on gas

Should've been named the Lemon
By Lane on 12/29/08 23:34 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

Extensive repairs, followed by more broken parts have been the story of my experience with this car. Bought it at 132k miles and had problems immediately. Poor insulation has led to leaks inside the passenger compartment during rain storms. The AC has numerous leaks in the line and has never worked. Still having engine and transmission problems. Do not buy this vehicle unless you can pay 4x it's value in repairs!

A Dangerous Vehicle
By shel on 12/19/08 06:28 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I can not believe this car is legal to sell. The first week I got it, there was a pin in the transmission that was coming out and caused the car to only go in reverse and it cost me 1,000 dollars to have it welded back in. 3 weeks after that my brakes fell off! I have two kids that I transport in this car. My brakes literally fell off the car. The whole brake system had to be redone. So far I have put 4,800 dollars into this car. By the time I am done repairing it, it will be brand new. Oh, wait , no it won't because I am junking it. Did I mention how the steering just went out. I will never buy a car even resembling a Stratus.

Broken
By broke on 07/18/08 13:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2001 at 69,000 miles. I should have left it on the lot! I needed brakes every three months. I thought maybe I was just hard on the brakes but I asked around it seemed to be a common occurrence. I had 5 recalls on my car with in the first year of my ownership of the car. And between the hoses, air conditioner, gaskets, and brakes. I was broke

My Wonderful Green Machine
By Dave Perry on 06/20/08 16:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new with about 12,000 miles on it. I believe a salesperson from the dealership used it, however, the car drive and looked like brand new when I purchased it. My wife fell in love with it. She worked about 75 miles from our home and drive it 5 days a week which equated to about 150 miles per day and more than 36,000 mile a year. She now has another car (for the sake of a new one) and I now drive it. It has close to 220,000 miles on it and is still running strong. The biggest cost was the head gasket replacement once it passed 55,000 miles at my expense ($1250.00). Other than that, repairs were only routine as with any reliable car. I love this car!! Its part of me.

Nice American Option
By greenroom1988 on 09/02/07 07:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Stratus is a nice car and is the family beater until my sister gets her license. We got it for a cheap 1,500 and it has 160,000 miles on it yet it pulls almost as hard as my Integra did. All the features work and they car held up to abuse from the previous owner.

Nice
By Jason on 10/10/06 17:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it, and its still going strong. I have had numerous compliments on my car. And 9 times out of 10, its because of how fast it is. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned, and its never been to the shop for anything besides tune ups, and oil changes, and brakes. Drives well in snow. Vehicle also looks very sporty, and drives like a sports car.

Got my money's worth
By Steve Pavkov on 08/16/06 12:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Stratus Sedan 4dr Sedan

For the low price of just over $13k, I feel the car performed well over the years. There were numerous "little" problems with it, such as electronic issues. I also had a fuel injection problem with it costing me $1K. When the car reached seven years, interior stuff like seats and plastics started to fall apart.