1996 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
This car saved my life numerous times!
By CheekyWeeSarah on 04/30/10 01:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Hi there! I bought this car after my crappy old van died and left me and my BABY stranded in the creepy part of town. I was nervous about getting another used car for fear that this would happen to us again, but low and behold---this Dodge Stratus turned out to be my DREAM CAR! Not only does this car completely suit me both as a college student, graphic designer, and single mom, but it's SO FAST and yet SAFE at the same time. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to slam those reliable brakes to avoid some jerk on the road or how often I've just barely started to proceed from a red light to a green when my Stratus GUNS forward like it's got an EIGHT cylinder under the hood! LOVE!

best car ever
By first time dodge car on 07/17/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for over 13 years, and I hate parting with it. It has been very reliable, but, since I am getting older, and my knee joints ache, I will have to part with it for a vehicle that has higher seats, such as an SUV. However, if they were still making them, I would buy another one in a second.

Love my car
By tylerpalti on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for nearly six years now. The car has remained very responsive over the years, and reliable. I have been able to to most work on it myself although it has been extremely tight under the hood at times. I love my car, and I would and have recommended it to anyone who will listen.

96 stratus good car
By jennig on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

This car so far for me has bee pretty good. I bought it with 107000 miles and it now has 113000. I have had no major problems with it execpt normal age/miles related problems (tires, brakes).

It kind of works, but keeps breaking dow
By FIrstnicecar on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 98' with 24,000 miles. It's been fairly reliable, except we've had to replace the Steering Rack 3 times, yes 3 times. And everytime we do that, you need a new Steering Pump, as well as Ti-rods. Car has now about 120,000 miles and we just put the 3rd Steering rack in February, and it's started making a funny noise that may be the struts or the steering. Just waiting for something major to happen, and this car is done for.

meh
By hoeun on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

got it brand new back in 96. ive been driving this car for 4 years. my mom had it before me. before i started driving, it was taken goodcare of and was driven very softly (never over 3000 rpm). when i took over, i abused the 2.4lt engine. i put it throught alot of tests and trials. i do give it regualr oil changes, but my average peak rpm when im accelerating is 4500. i get bad gas milage only due to my driving style. we had to replace the head gasket, transmission twice, and whole lot of brake jobs. but considering my driving style, it was reasonable. right now it has little ove 150000miles, and its still going strong.

courier's car
By jthull on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 96 and rarely used it until 98 when I started to use it for work. I have the 2.0 sohc base model 5 speed manual. At 65000 it did need a new headgasket. The only other major expenses have been the front bearings or hub assembly. (part is a lot). replaced alternator once. fixed ac unit once but after 52000 miles it started to leak again THIS CAR HAS THE ORIGINAL ENGINE AND THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH!!!! LAST FRIDAY 2/27/04 MY STRATUS TURNED OVER 300000 MILES AND STILL GETS 31 MILES TO THE GALLON. I DRIVE ABOUT 200 MILES A DAY AROUND 52000 MILES A YEAR. THE SIZE OF THE CAR IN CONNECTION WITH THE MPG,LOVE IT

Multiple repairs
By jmcg on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle in 1999 as a 3 y/o with 36K. I have since replaced the head gasket (at 37K), power steering rack (at 56K) and now the AC at (57K). Not to mention little stuff like the interior trunk release doesn't work and the display on the radio went out at 40K. Overall a disappointment in reliability. I am unlikely to own another Chrysler product based on this experience.

good car in the city
By todd recker on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

i've had this car for a year and have not had one problem. i am the second owner and i bought it w/ 65,000 miles and have 78,000 on it now. the paint quality is awesome with no rust spots. the car still has the original battery after 7yrs. the car is beautiful inside and outside. the 1st owner only had regular maintence plus a new A/C UNIT put on it and a steering pump. NO HEAD GASKET PROBLEM AND NO TRANSMISSION PROBLEM AT ALL!!!!! the only two problems i have is that the door rattles everytime i hit a bump and the tires stink too.

it's been good to me
By from the rocks on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

i bought this car a year ago and so far no problems and i use for city driving about 8,ooo per year and it's at 77,000miles. it's not very smooth as it has 14 inch tires and you feel every bump plus the door pins wore out which causes the door to rattle with annoying noises. the car is great on gas, about 24 miles per gallon in city. air condtioner very cold,heater blows with force, seats are very comfortable. OK POWER for a 4 cyl. A year from now i will post more.