Used 1996 Dodge Stratus ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Stratus

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

dodge stratus es
By Reazonz

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 1997 ive only had to replance the radiator, water pump and radiator hose everything else is still great I just hit 140,000 miles and im still goin strong I get the oil changed every 3,500 miles the a/c compresser just wen out this summer and its lookin at about $300 to fix I never really used it often so I wont get it fixed until I need to.

Suggested Improvements

the car rattles goin over railroad tracks and bumps like its goin to fall apart

El Junk Mobile
By sam t

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

The Stratus was my dad's first car. At about 3-,--- miles it needed a new head gasket, needed another head gasket at 66,000. nearly everything started needing replacement at 60,000. It is noisy. We had the 2.4l and it only got 20city/29 high. that's pretty bad. There is a lot of torque in the engine and so so horsepower, 150 to be exact. The catalytic converter went bad at 66,000. steering column and wheel bearings needed replacement at around 64,000. iterior plastics were hard and cheap. steering wheel vibrated when idling.

Favorite Features

cabin space, and good engine power and good stereo

Suggested Improvements

build quality, material quality, and reliability that can match Honda and Toyota?

Decent family transportation
By Pete_S4

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I had this car from 1996 to 2000 and put about 65,000 miles on it in that time. The motor and transmission were trouble free for the entire time I owned the car. The steering rack was replaced under warranty along with the tie rod ends. I also had to have the interior control module replaced under warranty due to a failed dome light. This car was basically fun to drive, but I do wish I had bought the VR6 GTI I had also been looking at.

Favorite Features

Autostick (manual mode automatic), Large interior in a small car, decent ride and handling, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

Brakes; the rotors/pads wear easily and the brake's stopping power is mediocre. ABS kicked in way too early. Motor was a little under powered for a V6, the 2.4L I4 offers similar performance.

my junk car
By lokie

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 112,000 miles on it, I had only driven it 3,000 miles when the trans went on it. and then serious of other problems with the engine, and service lights that would come on and off followed. I was really disappointed in this car for being a dodge I expected more.

Suggested Improvements

DEPENDABLE !!!

$675 TO REPLACE ALTERNATOR & BATTERY?!?!
By CATAJE

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this car w/ 44,000 miles on it In 01/2000 I loved this little car, summer of '01 had to replace A/C parts, $635.00, have had replace about 4 relays switch, $50. Dec '02 car had 92,000 miles on it, waterpump went out, $600.00 to fix, june '03 Alternator and battery replaced, $675!!!! $300 tune up!! This car is so expensive to work on!! It is too expensive for me to keep, all this $ into it, and it now needs a Fuel pump, God only knows what that will cost.... Sitting in driveway waiting to get be gotten rid of!!!! I am scared to death to drive it, it seems to cost me about $600 everytime I've touched it in the last couple of years

Favorite Features

I loved the style, and power. Everything about the little car was great

Suggested Improvements

a more reliable car would be nice, some chg to design, so I could work on it myself, w/out having to pay someone $70 in labor to just switch out my battery A little stupid that my car has to be put up on lift, the tire removed to replaced a stupid battery