1996 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
dodge stratus es
By Reazonz on 05/25/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 1997 ive only had to replance the radiator, water pump and radiator hose everything else is still great I just hit 140,000 miles and im still goin strong I get the oil changed every 3,500 miles the a/c compresser just wen out this summer and its lookin at about $300 to fix I never really used it often so I wont get it fixed until I need to.

El Junk Mobile
By sam t on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

The Stratus was my dad's first car. At about 3-,--- miles it needed a new head gasket, needed another head gasket at 66,000. nearly everything started needing replacement at 60,000. It is noisy. We had the 2.4l and it only got 20city/29 high. that's pretty bad. There is a lot of torque in the engine and so so horsepower, 150 to be exact. The catalytic converter went bad at 66,000. steering column and wheel bearings needed replacement at around 64,000. iterior plastics were hard and cheap. steering wheel vibrated when idling.

Decent family transportation
By Pete_S4 on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I had this car from 1996 to 2000 and put about 65,000 miles on it in that time. The motor and transmission were trouble free for the entire time I owned the car. The steering rack was replaced under warranty along with the tie rod ends. I also had to have the interior control module replaced under warranty due to a failed dome light. This car was basically fun to drive, but I do wish I had bought the VR6 GTI I had also been looking at.

my junk car
By lokie on 12/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 112,000 miles on it, I had only driven it 3,000 miles when the trans went on it. and then serious of other problems with the engine, and service lights that would come on and off followed. I was really disappointed in this car for being a dodge I expected more.

$675 TO REPLACE ALTERNATOR & BATTERY?!?!
By CATAJE on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this car w/ 44,000 miles on it In 01/2000 I loved this little car, summer of '01 had to replace A/C parts, $635.00, have had replace about 4 relays switch, $50. Dec '02 car had 92,000 miles on it, waterpump went out, $600.00 to fix, june '03 Alternator and battery replaced, $675!!!! $300 tune up!! This car is so expensive to work on!! It is too expensive for me to keep, all this $ into it, and it now needs a Fuel pump, God only knows what that will cost.... Sitting in driveway waiting to get be gotten rid of!!!! I am scared to death to drive it, it seems to cost me about $600 everytime I've touched it in the last couple of years

Great car for the money
By bfulmer on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I've had my Stratus ES for almost 4 years now and I absolutely love it. Even though I had to put a new tranny in it at 115K, it's been extremely reliable. I put at least 25K on it a year driving from MD to Cape Cod several times a year plus to clients as far as 150 mi. per day. It's strong, great in the snow and the Auto Shift is awesome. Very spacious inside, room enough for 5. I have 171K on it now and it's still going.

Mr
By Junglejim on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Purchased as a lease return in 1998. Since trhen I have had only 1 problem - head gasket failure which was a common thing for this era of Chrysler cars. In spite of being out of warranty Time wise, it was repaired for only a deductible charge to me. It has been very reliable, and the finish is still spectacular. It has been an excellent car for me.

This car stinks
By angrydodgeowner on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I have spent over $3,000 in repairs on this vehicle during a three-year period. I have had to replace the head gasket and have a new transmission put in. Plus, I just had to have new transmission seals replaced after 40,000 miles. The mechanic told me there is no air that gets to these seals so fluid builds up on them and they heat up and crack. These cars are pieces of crap. I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy. Don't buy this car!!!!

1996 Dodge Stratus ES
By misanthropicelle on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a few days ago, but it is great! I love manual cars, and this one is definitely perfect for my needs. I drove the car 45 miles on the highway and the gas gauge didn't even move. The mileage is amazing and perfect for anyone that has to drive distances often!

Both A Clunker & Junker Combined!
By achaulk on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is by far the worst that I've owned. From the undersized rotors that need to be replaced annually, to the leaky engine, this car never ceases to need service. The 4-cylinder engine is notorious for head gasket failures as I've had to have the dealer-replaced head gasket replaced yet again. Also, the oil galley plug, also originally replaced by the dealer, leaked again. I've also had to replace the rear motor mount since the oil ate away at the rubber parts. I also have to contend with yearly rotor and brake replacement. Not only was the car poor to begin with, but each of items replaced by the dealer failed again. This vehicle is terrible!