1996 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
This car saved my life numerous times!
By CheekyWeeSarah on 04/30/10 01:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Hi there! I bought this car after my crappy old van died and left me and my BABY stranded in the creepy part of town. I was nervous about getting another used car for fear that this would happen to us again, but low and behold---this Dodge Stratus turned out to be my DREAM CAR! Not only does this car completely suit me both as a college student, graphic designer, and single mom, but it's SO FAST and yet SAFE at the same time. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to slam those reliable brakes to avoid some jerk on the road or how often I've just barely started to proceed from a red light to a green when my Stratus GUNS forward like it's got an EIGHT cylinder under the hood! LOVE!

best car ever
By first time dodge car on 07/17/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for over 13 years, and I hate parting with it. It has been very reliable, but, since I am getting older, and my knee joints ache, I will have to part with it for a vehicle that has higher seats, such as an SUV. However, if they were still making them, I would buy another one in a second.

dodge stratus es
By Reazonz on 05/25/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 1997 ive only had to replance the radiator, water pump and radiator hose everything else is still great I just hit 140,000 miles and im still goin strong I get the oil changed every 3,500 miles the a/c compresser just wen out this summer and its lookin at about $300 to fix I never really used it often so I wont get it fixed until I need to.

Love my car
By tylerpalti on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for nearly six years now. The car has remained very responsive over the years, and reliable. I have been able to to most work on it myself although it has been extremely tight under the hood at times. I love my car, and I would and have recommended it to anyone who will listen.

96 stratus good car
By jennig on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

This car so far for me has bee pretty good. I bought it with 107000 miles and it now has 113000. I have had no major problems with it execpt normal age/miles related problems (tires, brakes).

El Junk Mobile
By sam t on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

The Stratus was my dad's first car. At about 3-,--- miles it needed a new head gasket, needed another head gasket at 66,000. nearly everything started needing replacement at 60,000. It is noisy. We had the 2.4l and it only got 20city/29 high. that's pretty bad. There is a lot of torque in the engine and so so horsepower, 150 to be exact. The catalytic converter went bad at 66,000. steering column and wheel bearings needed replacement at around 64,000. iterior plastics were hard and cheap. steering wheel vibrated when idling.

Decent family transportation
By Pete_S4 on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I had this car from 1996 to 2000 and put about 65,000 miles on it in that time. The motor and transmission were trouble free for the entire time I owned the car. The steering rack was replaced under warranty along with the tie rod ends. I also had to have the interior control module replaced under warranty due to a failed dome light. This car was basically fun to drive, but I do wish I had bought the VR6 GTI I had also been looking at.

It kind of works, but keeps breaking dow
By FIrstnicecar on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 98' with 24,000 miles. It's been fairly reliable, except we've had to replace the Steering Rack 3 times, yes 3 times. And everytime we do that, you need a new Steering Pump, as well as Ti-rods. Car has now about 120,000 miles and we just put the 3rd Steering rack in February, and it's started making a funny noise that may be the struts or the steering. Just waiting for something major to happen, and this car is done for.

meh
By hoeun on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

got it brand new back in 96. ive been driving this car for 4 years. my mom had it before me. before i started driving, it was taken goodcare of and was driven very softly (never over 3000 rpm). when i took over, i abused the 2.4lt engine. i put it throught alot of tests and trials. i do give it regualr oil changes, but my average peak rpm when im accelerating is 4500. i get bad gas milage only due to my driving style. we had to replace the head gasket, transmission twice, and whole lot of brake jobs. but considering my driving style, it was reasonable. right now it has little ove 150000miles, and its still going strong.

courier's car
By jthull on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 96 and rarely used it until 98 when I started to use it for work. I have the 2.0 sohc base model 5 speed manual. At 65000 it did need a new headgasket. The only other major expenses have been the front bearings or hub assembly. (part is a lot). replaced alternator once. fixed ac unit once but after 52000 miles it started to leak again THIS CAR HAS THE ORIGINAL ENGINE AND THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH!!!! LAST FRIDAY 2/27/04 MY STRATUS TURNED OVER 300000 MILES AND STILL GETS 31 MILES TO THE GALLON. I DRIVE ABOUT 200 MILES A DAY AROUND 52000 MILES A YEAR. THE SIZE OF THE CAR IN CONNECTION WITH THE MPG,LOVE IT