Used 1995 Dodge Stratus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Dodge Stratus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:

ups and downs
By jojm

1995 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

very good first few years. main problem is dodge...they simply are unwilling or unable to fix problems.

Favorite Features

economy and pep

Suggested Improvements

have ford or gm do warranty work and repairs....no mor chrysler products for me...too bad as a pretty good car

Don't waste your money!
By Lizzard

1995 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

We bought the car used in Feb. '01 (94K mi). By July we needed to replace the water pump. Around the same time it started leaking a lot of oil and then suddenly stopped. Don't know why. My husband hates the placement of things under the hood. VERY awkward! A few months ago, something around the rear left tire started rattling (it sounds like the car is going to fall apart or something is going to fall off). The air conditioning doesn't work if it's hot outside. The light on the clock works and then it won't. One of the air vents is broken. It's getting to be a lot of little things that adds up to a lot of pain and money. I can't wait to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

The interior is comfortable. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

An improvement to this car would be the scrap yard!

Aging
By DTrain

1995 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

The first years of my ownership were great. No problems were encountered, that came out of pocket, except the Catalytic convertor. Gas mileage was terrific, friends love the roomy backseat. My car has 130k miles,the last 20k miles have been terrible. Brakes are eaten like candy (especially front ones) and Dodge wouldn't fix them although there was a recall. Head gasket replaced and the oil has leaked for the past 60k miles. To many other problems to mention. I would not buy another Chrysler or Dodge, unless it was a truck. Where is the battery placed, terrible ideal..

Favorite Features

Roominess is terrific, so is gas mileage still at 130k miles.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of the battery. Rearview mirror placement. Better brakes. Interior material needs to be better - too plasticky.

Good till 75k!
By Jay-Dub

1995 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 50k. It was purchased to make a daily trip of about 125 miles for one year until college grad. That year went well. The car was smooth and fit us well. I'm 6'3" and this was the only small car that I fit comfortably in. There is something bad wrong with the electrical system. For a while the radio wouldn't work one day, then another day work fine, now it doesn't ever work. The check engine light has been on over a year, dealer can't find anything. Brake wear is horrible, at least once a year replacment. Rear end squeaks. The rpm gauge has quit working. Transmission started slipping at 85k. Can't wait to sell!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, small car with comfort for bigger people, quick car and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is good but still feels tight in corners. Don't use mitsubishi motor!

Great Car - No Problems
By Joeg

1995 Dodge Stratus 4dr Sedan

We have put over 127,000 miles on this dependable car in over 8 years of fun driving. It is the base model so there are not many features on it, but it is still fun to drive. We have not put any money into it except for the usual (brakes, tires). It is been used by our teenagers for the last two years and even with them driving it, it has held up well. Just yesterday someone who was driving a 2002 Stratus asked us if our 1995 Stratus was a 1999 model. It is still lokking good. I just hope it makes it through my teenage kids.

Favorite Features

Size & Comfort

Suggested Improvements

None