Used 1992 Dodge Stealth Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Dodge Stealth - Consumer Reviews

1992 Dodge Stealth

View reviews for a specific Stealth model:

Heavenly
By StealthTT

1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought my Pearl white 92 Stealth R/T TT from a Dodge fanatic. The price was to good to let it pass me up. With upkept maintience and a few "tasteful" mods, this car has smoked Corvettes and the like. This car is "godly". If your driving style is "easy going" and you're not going to race it or anything of the sort, I've heard of of them going for 170,000 miles before anything to big needed repairs. But if you're like me and many others, about 8-90000 miles you'll be needing some money for repairs, lots of money. But the Stealth R/T TT is worth every penny. I've invested more time and money into this car than I'll admit. I have had no regrets. Best super car ever!

Favorite Features

We'll it is a DSM, that's a bonus. The phrase "Move like a butter-fly, sting like a bee" this car's handling and power is that and more. A few mod's and upgrades and you have the best car money can buy. Penny for penny, this is the best car ever!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger brakes and radar jammers should have been a standard option.

I must have got a good one!
By Mr. Moore

1992 Dodge Stealth 2dr Coupe

Bought the car in '97 with 45000 mi. Drove it until '03 when wife blew engine driving it with blown heater hose. Had 203,000 when motor went. Had tranny rebuilt at 150,000 for $2200 dollars. New engine and shop install cost $5500, way more than car is worth. Just couldn't part with car, it's like an old friend. The car is incredibly fast for a base model & handles great. Only real drawback to the design is the placement of spoiler in the middle of the back window blocking rear view mirror, although glad for spoiler over 90 miles an hour, & back seats have no leg room. Love the car & hope for 200,000 more miles.

Favorite Features

Fast for base model, hadels very well, not susceptible to cross wind drifting on freeway, corners great very stable. Rally gauge set in dash keeps you aware of engine processes.

Suggested Improvements

Something could have been done about the lack of leg room in back before car was discontinued.

Fun to Drive - even in the desert!
By Meghan

1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought my RT used in Kuwait - where a good cooling system is imperative. Has proven to be excellent. The car is the only Stealth turbo in the country and still going strong after all these years. People don't know what it is! The dealership never brought the Stealth to Kuwait, so parts are a nightmare here.

Favorite Features

AWD is great - fun around corners. I didn't know it was front wheel drive until I got stuck on a sand dune.

Suggested Improvements

Like other owners, I have to complain about the ECU and the gear synchronizers. I've replaced 3 ECU's and you can usually detect the problem by a faint smoke. I've also found that if you replace the plugs and cables with high performance (Splitfire), you get a lot more power out of the car.

Front-drive sports car!
By Marcus

1992 Dodge Stealth ES 2dr Coupe

An enthusiast's machine for Dodge dollars. Great handling on tight mountain curves, even in snow (#1 ski car). I just wave politely @ Subarus and SUVs when I pass them to get first tracks. Classic exterior, nothing else like it. 210 horses before the K&N air filter and 3 in. exhaust. So fun it makes commuting a blast. The bad news: expensive maintenance/repair, especially parts (timing belt, water pump, throttle body...). Needs premium gas to reach its peak. Mine has 89K miles as of 1/06, has needed choke repair, T belt/water pump, dome light sensor switch on door, currently has small leak in clutch hydraulics. Not much considering the daily pleasure of cruising it around in all conditions.

Favorite Features

Performance, visual appeal, uniqueness, interior layout, handling. Sportiest front-drive I've found. Easy to oil change. Decent gas mileage, 29 @ 75 mph at Colorado elevations. Drive a nice one of these, you'll get the picture.

Suggested Improvements

Very expensive parts/service. Diamondstar quality is better than American, not on a par with Honda/Toyota. Stealthy, yes, but could they make it invisible to police?

1992 Dodge Stealth
By janet

1992 Dodge Stealth ES 2dr Coupe

This is the best car I ever owned! It was low maintenance, had a beautiful design outside and very comfortable inside. If they still made them, I'd buy another one to replace this one.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, extensive leg room for driver and passenger. It is like a touring car instead of just a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Improve back seat and trunk storage. It is so much fun to drive those are minor issues!