Used 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 144 WB Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Sprinter Van

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

Cargo to toyhauler fun
By PonchoV

2008 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 144 WB 3dr Van (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I did a lot of research before getting my 08 2500 144. It's a basic unit & that is what I wanted. In the last 6 mths I have put 0ver 22k miles on the truck. No issues. The dealership crashed the truck & didn't tell me when I bought it. It seems to run fine & I keep my fingers crossed. My mpg are 21-23 on the open road & 21 in town. If you use the turbo then mpg drop big time. so take it easy & save $. In traffic handling is great. It will tow at freeway speeds but that was my lowest 17 mpg. The truck is quieter than other vans. Brakes are good in rain & in dangerous events. Lay out of inst. on dash are very user friendly. Radio is ok. Steering is solid & no real over steering.

Favorite Features

High visibility is great & helps seeing what is way up ahead. Turning is tighter than expected. Cargo D- rings are a great std feature. Little storage hole all over the front are neat

Suggested Improvements

Would like to get into an owners club. Larger fuel tank & more detail owners manual. Having a high 5th gear would greatly improve the mpg on the open road. Could use a built in retractable ramp for the rear loading area. Back up monitors should be standard. Wiper speeds could be more.

Reliability not an option
By Dean Appliance Svcs

2008 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 144 WB 3dr Van (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Thought carefully before purchase about reliability, service availabilty, fuel mileage, upkeep costs. Vehicle arrived broken. Developed a serious power steering leak and had to be towed the same day to nearest dealer, 2 hours away (not local as advertised). Then EGR valve failed, intermittant Check engine light and no power). Drivers wiper seriously out of align, bad noises. Plastic trim items poorly fastened and repeatedly fell off. Dlr attempted to reinstall. Frt tires chewed off at 10K miles, align not done at factory? Lts began to fail, headlight, parking, tail, signal (all very cheaply made bulbs I suppose). Several parts have fallen off. Ok truck if you like coffee at the dealers loung

Favorite Features

Stand up headroom in rear. Great turning radius. Only 21 MPG not 27 as advertised but okay. Full 10 feet in rear cargo. Big slider on side and fold away rear doors are handy. Nice visibility from controls. Smooth power. Quiet diesel!

Suggested Improvements

Better availability of service at ALL Dodge dealers not just one Sprinter garage per state. Actually check fit and trim and alignments before delivery. Change service interval reset to dash button, not dlr only box, which not all dlrs have. Slope or pass floor forward to keep muck from under seat.

2008 144 wb high roof Passenger Sprinter
By Jim

2008 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 144 WB 3dr Van (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We extensively researched the vehicles available to convert to a handicap accessible vehicle to transport our fifteen year old son who uses a wheelchair. After reviewing all possible alternatives, we chose the Dodge 144 wb high roof passenger model Sprinter, which we had modified at CMI in Grove City, Ohio. We chose this Sprinter for its fuel economy, build quality, safety features, maneuverability, and the conversion options available. We removed all seats, and added three swiveling captains chairs, a folding bench seat, a rear under seat heater, additional insulation, and a Braun Vangater lift. Now we have a long term solution to transporting and taking care of our son's needs.

Favorite Features

Economical diesel engine, visibility, adaptability, maneuverability

Suggested Improvements

Softer rear suspension