Used 2006 Dodge Sprinter Van Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

Best Van Ever
By Mila Owen

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This the best full size van period!

Repairs needed over and over
By Bob Ferrari

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have a 2006 regular roof 2500, purchased new. It's a perfect size for us, drives well, good gas mileage in between repairs. It has something every month. The latest is the new engine needed at 118K! This vehicle has been consistently maintained by professionals. It is pure junk and I will never buy another. We have a 2002 GMC Savanna with over 200K that runs with far fewer issues than it. We really wanted to love this van. Repair problems with it have put others out of business. I also heard that UPS got rid of their entire fleet. We have a Nissan 2500 which has given no problems in 3 years but wish it was not so high because of trees.

Since I wrote the above the engine blew up. The harmonic balancer had fallen off. We heard a loud clang and thought we hit something on the highway. We looked all over and couldn't see anything missing. You can't see that part until you go to pull the engine. The van ran normally for about 2 months then it simply stopped - engine fried. It turns out that this is not uncommon but MB doesn't like to say so. $14,000 for a new motor with a one year warranty. No thanks. Ended up scrapping it for $4000. So sad.

Mixed emotions
By GC

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love my Sprinter, I don't like chancing front brake pads every 28,000 miles. I don't like that I'm on my 3rd $116 transmission pan gasket, I don't like that I just replaced mt A/C compressor, filter dryer and expansion valve at 48,000 miles. I HATE that my roof leaks at the seams and most of the spot welds on the roof are rusting from the inside out! I have put multiple coats of Menzerna FMJ per year expecting it to help seal what I knew was crappy paint when I bought it. This weekend I lost several thousand dollars worth of inventory in my well kept van from a leaky roof. I'm livid! I hate that my hood rusted from the inside under my 3M invisible bra. A cassette deck? Come on! It's 2006!

Fuel economy! Tire wear is minimal! Very professional looking especially with my Systems Edstrom package inside! Headroom, Headroom, Headroom! Amazing oil life.

Try some real paint, weld the metal on the roof, not just spot welds and crappy sealer. Use a metal transmission pan.

2006 Sprinter-work vehicle
By DBK

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased 2006 Sprinter for Electrical construction business. Dealership explained all the advantages of the vehicle- low maintenance, good mileage,long engine life. Maintenance and reliablitiy are a nightmare. Paint rusted in first year. Brake rotors have very limited life and are expensive to replace. Very few mechanics can work on the vehicle. Vehicle has been towed for blown turbo- resonator, burnt out starter relay wire, and frozen fuel(even with additives). If you have business this is the wrong vehicle for you. Manufacture does not back up many defects.

Good mileage, Lots of room, handles well

New paint application system, better brake designs( rotors should not need replacing after 30,000 miles)

Very Disipointed
By Disipointed

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I needed a high cube van to haul all my HVAC stuff. I moved from a full size dodge van into the sprinter 2006 158" WB, High roof, plumbers package shelving. I was in heaven. Heaven only lasted a few miles from the dealership, a wheel sensor light came on. I have now replaced the wheel sensor, drive line, a/c line, turbo Plate, front alignment, Bad paint now being repainted, all these under warranty with over 20 days of down time. Not under warranty, transmission @ 60,000 miles is down a $1000 repair bill before I am on the road again. The 20MPG is good, to work from the van is great but the repairs cause me to look for something else. If your smart take sprinter off your wish list.