Used 2006 Dodge Sprinter Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

Mixed emotions
By GC

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love my Sprinter, I don't like chancing front brake pads every 28,000 miles. I don't like that I'm on my 3rd $116 transmission pan gasket, I don't like that I just replaced mt A/C compressor, filter dryer and expansion valve at 48,000 miles. I HATE that my roof leaks at the seams and most of the spot welds on the roof are rusting from the inside out! I have put multiple coats of Menzerna FMJ per year expecting it to help seal what I knew was crappy paint when I bought it. This weekend I lost several thousand dollars worth of inventory in my well kept van from a leaky roof. I'm livid! I hate that my hood rusted from the inside under my 3M invisible bra. A cassette deck? Come on! It's 2006!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy! Tire wear is minimal! Very professional looking especially with my Systems Edstrom package inside! Headroom, Headroom, Headroom! Amazing oil life.

Suggested Improvements

Try some real paint, weld the metal on the roof, not just spot welds and crappy sealer. Use a metal transmission pan.

2006 Sprinter-work vehicle
By DBK

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased 2006 Sprinter for Electrical construction business. Dealership explained all the advantages of the vehicle- low maintenance, good mileage,long engine life. Maintenance and reliablitiy are a nightmare. Paint rusted in first year. Brake rotors have very limited life and are expensive to replace. Very few mechanics can work on the vehicle. Vehicle has been towed for blown turbo- resonator, burnt out starter relay wire, and frozen fuel(even with additives). If you have business this is the wrong vehicle for you. Manufacture does not back up many defects.

Favorite Features

Good mileage, Lots of room, handles well

Suggested Improvements

New paint application system, better brake designs( rotors should not need replacing after 30,000 miles)

Very Disipointed
By Disipointed

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I needed a high cube van to haul all my HVAC stuff. I moved from a full size dodge van into the sprinter 2006 158" WB, High roof, plumbers package shelving. I was in heaven. Heaven only lasted a few miles from the dealership, a wheel sensor light came on. I have now replaced the wheel sensor, drive line, a/c line, turbo Plate, front alignment, Bad paint now being repainted, all these under warranty with over 20 days of down time. Not under warranty, transmission @ 60,000 miles is down a $1000 repair bill before I am on the road again. The 20MPG is good, to work from the van is great but the repairs cause me to look for something else. If your smart take sprinter off your wish list.

Great gas mileage, but poor reliability
By John

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Use the van for heating & plumbing service business. Not reliable. Now has 64k miles. Have replaced the right front wheel bearing twice,once at 22k, again at 25k (due to mechanic not tighening spindle nut properly) turbocharger resonator at 40k, transmission failed at 60k, was rebuilt at the dealer, failed again at 64k, is now at the dealer for that repair. The dealer has only one Sprinter qualified tech. Parts are always a long wait. I have it decked out with a bin package. GVWR is 8500lbs, weighed it two weeks ago at 7400lbs. I work in a rural part of Colorado and need to be able to carry a wide assortment of parts and tools. My business is suffering due to breakdowns.

Favorite Features

The ability to stand up inside the van. The size and unique look of the vehicle. Gas mileage, and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Durability expected from a name like Mercedes Benz is not there.

Don't but this vehicle
By steve

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased vehicle brand new. Was not told every 10,000 miles needed oil filter. Fuel filter, air filter total cots runs 275.00 dollars at a dealership. Lack of personal to work on this vehicle is terrible. First 6 months had transmission leak oil leak electrical problem leaky roof and my dome light collected water every time it rained. Also back door hinges pulled out of sheet metal. Business link program is a joke. I will have this vehicle paid off in 6 months and will go back to a Ford diesel. I do not suggest this vehicle for anytime of business due to its constant down time.

Favorite Features

The fuel economy was ok. Not the 25 miles to the gallon i was told at the dealership.

Suggested Improvements

More trained personnel as well as a better made product. Its interior needs major improvement and the cost of maint, should be more affordable.