2006 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:
Mixed emotions
By GC on 07/04/10 07:58 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Sprinter High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love my Sprinter, I don't like chancing front brake pads every 28,000 miles. I don't like that I'm on my 3rd $116 transmission pan gasket, I don't like that I just replaced mt A/C compressor, filter dryer and expansion valve at 48,000 miles. I HATE that my roof leaks at the seams and most of the spot welds on the roof are rusting from the inside out! I have put multiple coats of Menzerna FMJ per year expecting it to help seal what I knew was crappy paint when I bought it. This weekend I lost several thousand dollars worth of inventory in my well kept van from a leaky roof. I'm livid! I hate that my hood rusted from the inside under my 3M invisible bra. A cassette deck? Come on! It's 2006!

2006 Sprinter-work vehicle
By DBK on 11/23/09 18:14 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Sprinter 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased 2006 Sprinter for Electrical construction business. Dealership explained all the advantages of the vehicle- low maintenance, good mileage,long engine life. Maintenance and reliablitiy are a nightmare. Paint rusted in first year. Brake rotors have very limited life and are expensive to replace. Very few mechanics can work on the vehicle. Vehicle has been towed for blown turbo- resonator, burnt out starter relay wire, and frozen fuel(even with additives). If you have business this is the wrong vehicle for you. Manufacture does not back up many defects.

Very Disipointed
By Disipointed on 05/15/09 08:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Sprinter High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I needed a high cube van to haul all my HVAC stuff. I moved from a full size dodge van into the sprinter 2006 158" WB, High roof, plumbers package shelving. I was in heaven. Heaven only lasted a few miles from the dealership, a wheel sensor light came on. I have now replaced the wheel sensor, drive line, a/c line, turbo Plate, front alignment, Bad paint now being repainted, all these under warranty with over 20 days of down time. Not under warranty, transmission @ 60,000 miles is down a $1000 repair bill before I am on the road again. The 20MPG is good, to work from the van is great but the repairs cause me to look for something else. If your smart take sprinter off your wish list.

Great gas mileage, but poor reliability
By John on 11/02/08 11:40 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Sprinter High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Use the van for heating & plumbing service business. Not reliable. Now has 64k miles. Have replaced the right front wheel bearing twice,once at 22k, again at 25k (due to mechanic not tighening spindle nut properly) turbocharger resonator at 40k, transmission failed at 60k, was rebuilt at the dealer, failed again at 64k, is now at the dealer for that repair. The dealer has only one Sprinter qualified tech. Parts are always a long wait. I have it decked out with a bin package. GVWR is 8500lbs, weighed it two weeks ago at 7400lbs. I work in a rural part of Colorado and need to be able to carry a wide assortment of parts and tools. My business is suffering due to breakdowns.

Don't but this vehicle
By steve on 05/04/08 20:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Sprinter 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased vehicle brand new. Was not told every 10,000 miles needed oil filter. Fuel filter, air filter total cots runs 275.00 dollars at a dealership. Lack of personal to work on this vehicle is terrible. First 6 months had transmission leak oil leak electrical problem leaky roof and my dome light collected water every time it rained. Also back door hinges pulled out of sheet metal. Business link program is a joke. I will have this vehicle paid off in 6 months and will go back to a Ford diesel. I do not suggest this vehicle for anytime of business due to its constant down time.

Great
By Mike on 12/08/06 15:05 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Sprinter 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This van is comfortable, roomy , and gets great mileage, It is fun to drive for myself and family, and good to carry my tools to do work .

Sprinter: Utility to Leasure plus Economy
By Champ on 11/25/06 07:54 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Sprinter 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Sprinter with its IMAX view windshield, up high seating position, great brakes, peppy acceleration, and flat out the most interior space available. You can't beat this vehicle for a general work van or travel companion. Get this! This big van averages 22 MPG around town with hwy mix. I tow a 3500 pound boat and still got 19.8 on a trip up to the N.GA mountains. What a van. If there is a drawback it is that the steering collumn does not telescope or tilt. This is an ergonomic issue that you quickly adapt to. The motor noise is slightly more than my old Chevrolet gas van but still quieter than most diesels. Very quiet outside. Van is goverened to 80MPH.

Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter passenger van
By BP on 08/03/06 10:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Sprinter 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Somewhat spartan in ergonomics, the Sprinter is fairly comfortable in a basic way. It does not compare to American made vans (in the same price range) in technology and creature comforts. More advanced features are not even available. It seems the Euro style is stark functionality over luxury. Functionality is key. I appreciate the economy, handling, and spaciousness greatly. This is where this van beats domestics hands down. I consider the Sprinter passenger van to be a "happy medium" between a bare bones cargo van and a decked out domestic family van. I can't comment on the reliability due to it's newness, but the diesel model has been around for years and the turbo gives it a boost.

Long Tall Sally
By Elite on 06/28/06 20:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Sprinter High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This truck is made for the highway. I just got back from a 3000 mile trip and the drive was way better than last year with the Ford van.

Blue Double Short
By JC MI on 04/25/06 11:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Sprinter 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Looked at Mini-vans, SUVs, and Full-sizers. Minivan was ruled out as it could not pull the boat, SUV was hard on gas, and Ford/GM full size was not too good on gas either and drove like slugs and did not handle as nice. The Sprinter drives much smaller than it is, is easy to park, great visibility, handles well, and hauls 8 very comfortably. I tinited the windows and did the M-B grille and badge conversion and it looks great! It is fun to drive and everyone is always checking it out. Draws a small crowd at the truck stop fueling up. Love those high-speed diesel pumps!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.