Used 2005 Dodge Sprinter Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Sprinter

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

Most Helpful|
motor explosion
By hemi

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had vehicle for 6 months. The transmission rumbles real bad. 3 tranny flushes and still no good. Also it has no tranny dipstick so you need to find one for yourself. Also it uses extremely high dollar tranny fluid. After rumbling down the road, the motor decides to spit a piston. No warning just quit. It is now in the process of being repaired. This will be very expensive. They take you to the meat grinder for parts. I will say this vehicle is scrap and no one should buy one.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

car crusher

dangerous/unreliable sprinter
By dennis spoerke

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have a Nationwide Pet Transportation business that involves traveling 11,000-12,000 miles per month, mostly at interstate speeds. My 2004 Sprinter was to be my IDEAL vehicle - instead it is a nightmare!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!!! This vehicle , when traveling at 75mph, will (wihout warning) cut-off your power! Imagine - after just passing a semi at 75mph (in Los Angeles) and all of a sudden NO POWER! Dodge's fix is to install an EGR valve. I've had 4 valves so-far.

lots of problems
By tim k

bought 2 sprinters 04 and 05 the electicals real bad and the brakes and tires are under sized . door hinges and hardware stink as well. cant wait till its all over, even stopped making the truck payments to daimler and contacted ntsb, national traffic safety board. trucks with inoperative ligts and flashers are a real hazard on our roads. dealers and chrysler are clueless, should have had mercedes make the truck as well as the engine

Fun until it breaks
By Big Silver Box

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

It is fun to drive, handles great and pulls my 4k pound camper ok, and until 2 weeks ago I couldn't say enough good things about it. Then one morning it would not start, and to make a long story short, it has been sitting at the dealers now for 2 weeks waiting for a part. The part, they tell me is on national back order, which means that there isn't one in the whole country! How in the world can they sell these trucks as work vehicles and not have parts for them? If you use your van to make your living you may want to wait untill they get their parts network straightened out before you buy one. All the good featurs of this van mean nothing if you can't fix it asap when it breaks down.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive, it handles much better then you would think.The room inside is awesome. When towing my camper, it's not a rocket but it's not a rock either.

Lumbar damage
By jon

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

If you drive this vehicle for more than 1 year as a work vehicle 8-16 hr a day because of its design you will have back problem because of the rough and the way the seating are made. I know I am one who wish I never drove one for a work vehicle. There are no safety test on this vehicle crash test or no safety data