2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

2005 Sprinter Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

Sort Reviews by

Good worker
By Mr. Rodney Long

2005 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I often overload my van- 3,700 to 4,300 is not uncommon- and I still drive 3 mph over the speed limit. It has never dropped below 5 mph of the set cruise on any hill. I abuse it by letting it idle for 10 to 38 hours at a time in all kinds of weather. With all this I have only had to replace a cam sensor. I use this van to move expedited freight and drive as much as 1,700 miles in one sitting. I get 25.5 mpg with a 4200 lbs load in the back on the east coast from MI to GA. The only complaint I have is the steering while will not tilt and the heater doesn't work well when it very cold out, unless you cover some of the radiator air intake. I couldn't imagine doing my job with out it. I am spoiled

Favorite Features

crisp gear changes, great road handling while empty and loaded. barn style doors good down shifts while breaking under load and responsive peppy engine.

Suggested Improvements

they have all been made in the newer models.

lots of problems
By tim k

2005 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

bought 2 sprinters 04 and 05 the electicals real bad and the brakes and tires are under sized . door hinges and hardware stink as well. cant wait till its all over, even stopped making the truck payments to daimler and contacted ntsb, national traffic safety board. trucks with inoperative ligts and flashers are a real hazard on our roads. dealers and chrysler are clueless, should have had mercedes make the truck as well as the engine

diesel particulate filter
By floyd

I recently had new glow plugs and a new head installed on my 2005. Ever since I had smells coming from the engine. I was told that the rear doors needed adjustment, and the fuel tank drained. I did both. I still have symptoms of light headeness,dizziness and nausea. Has anyone heard about diesel particulate filter problems. I do know that the health related problems can become chronic.

Great van
By Jason the plumber

I love this van. It got 26 mpg on the way back from Ohio dealer to Grand Ledge, Mi while unloaded. It carries all my tools and plumbing fittings with ease and gets 23 mpg around town fully loaded. The biggest asset is the high roof which gives my back alot of relief when loading heavy old water heaters, etc. I have to drive 50mi to get it serviced and am worried if it will start well in the Michigan winters, but even so it is truly a superior van.

Favorite Features

High roof. Gas mileage. Incredible storage capacity. Handles like a Mercedes.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes should not have changed this design. The new vehicle (2007 on) is bigger all the way around and as a result is slightly less efficient than vans from 02 to 06. Even so, it would be a better work van than the domestics. Ford transit full size diesel looks great, but may never happen here.

motor explosion
By hemi

2005 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had vehicle for 6 months. The transmission rumbles real bad. 3 tranny flushes and still no good. Also it has no tranny dipstick so you need to find one for yourself. Also it uses extremely high dollar tranny fluid. After rumbling down the road, the motor decides to spit a piston. No warning just quit. It is now in the process of being repaired. This will be very expensive. They take you to the meat grinder for parts. I will say this vehicle is scrap and no one should buy one.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

car crusher

Lumbar damage
By jon

If you drive this vehicle for more than 1 year as a work vehicle 8-16 hr a day because of its design you will have back problem because of the rough and the way the seating are made. I know I am one who wish I never drove one for a work vehicle. There are no safety test on this vehicle crash test or no safety data

Driving can be fun
By jmiller

2005 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Most of my driving is on the interstate highways. I have no trouble passing other vehicles as long as I don't try going over 85 mph. It won't. I love it's small turning radias. U- turns are no problem. And it's great being up so high that you can see over most of the other traffic. I am very happy with my cargo van.

Favorite Features

Easy turning. Lots of room. I can stand up in it and this makes loading and unloading so much easier on the back. The gas mileage is great!

Suggested Improvements

A shade visor that can be moved to the side window. A better sound system.

Lemon?
By Mike

In 11 months of ownership, I've had the A/C compressor replaced, the engine control sensor replaced, had the vehicle towed once because it wouldn't start, and now when I turn on my right turn signal, my dash lights flash. When my headlights are on, the right turn signal doesn't blink. I've also got rust spots coming through the side panels.

Favorite Features

Great vehicle to work out of.

Dodge Sprinter
By Bob

I bought a new Sprinter van 158 in. Wheelbase (cargo) right after hurricane Wilma flooded my step van. I brought it home started building shelves and tool storage for my business. Just got it done and the transmission goes out. After almost three weeks I have it back with a whole new transmission and I hope it stays running. It's a nice truck, low power, but I guess thatís what you trade to get good mileage. The whole truck is thin sheet metal, I mean thin ! And there is rust showing on the roof of mine with less than 1000 miles on it. Also there is no frame unibody to save weight and improve mileage but not longevity in my opinion. It does go down the road good. It was noisy until I put in a bulkhead

Favorite Features

Good fuel ecomomy, standing head room, good ride

Suggested Improvements

Parts on hand for the trucks they sell & better quality control also more rust prevention.

Fun until it breaks
By Big Silver Box

2005 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

It is fun to drive, handles great and pulls my 4k pound camper ok, and until 2 weeks ago I couldn't say enough good things about it. Then one morning it would not start, and to make a long story short, it has been sitting at the dealers now for 2 weeks waiting for a part. The part, they tell me is on national back order, which means that there isn't one in the whole country! How in the world can they sell these trucks as work vehicles and not have parts for them? If you use your van to make your living you may want to wait untill they get their parts network straightened out before you buy one. All the good featurs of this van mean nothing if you can't fix it asap when it breaks down.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive, it handles much better then you would think.The room inside is awesome. When towing my camper, it's not a rocket but it's not a rock either.