Used 2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Sprinter

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

motor explosion
By hemi

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had vehicle for 6 months. The transmission rumbles real bad. 3 tranny flushes and still no good. Also it has no tranny dipstick so you need to find one for yourself. Also it uses extremely high dollar tranny fluid. After rumbling down the road, the motor decides to spit a piston. No warning just quit. It is now in the process of being repaired. This will be very expensive. They take you to the meat grinder for parts. I will say this vehicle is scrap and no one should buy one.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

car crusher

Driving can be fun
By jmiller

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Most of my driving is on the interstate highways. I have no trouble passing other vehicles as long as I don't try going over 85 mph. It won't. I love it's small turning radias. U- turns are no problem. And it's great being up so high that you can see over most of the other traffic. I am very happy with my cargo van.

Favorite Features

Easy turning. Lots of room. I can stand up in it and this makes loading and unloading so much easier on the back. The gas mileage is great!

Suggested Improvements

A shade visor that can be moved to the side window. A better sound system.

Fun until it breaks
By Big Silver Box

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

It is fun to drive, handles great and pulls my 4k pound camper ok, and until 2 weeks ago I couldn't say enough good things about it. Then one morning it would not start, and to make a long story short, it has been sitting at the dealers now for 2 weeks waiting for a part. The part, they tell me is on national back order, which means that there isn't one in the whole country! How in the world can they sell these trucks as work vehicles and not have parts for them? If you use your van to make your living you may want to wait untill they get their parts network straightened out before you buy one. All the good featurs of this van mean nothing if you can't fix it asap when it breaks down.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive, it handles much better then you would think.The room inside is awesome. When towing my camper, it's not a rocket but it's not a rock either.

Silly looking...but fun to own.
By n_tesla

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Mine's used as a delivery van for plasma TV's during the week and as a kids sports team hauler on the weekend. As a utility vehicle this can't be beat. The doors open wide, the walls go straight up, it's easy to move around inside. The ride is much more controlled than the E150's and GMC vans. Most times we don't have to tie items down. Taking seats in and out is a two (strong) man job. I'm told the comfort in the back is good. My daughter's soccer team has adopted this van as their mascot. They like the privacy glass windows. I ordered the extra insulation package and it's still noisey inside. I bought an Avery berber floor mat and it quieted things down a bit. It's cool in a weird way.

Favorite Features

Good driving dynamics. Strong brakes. Lot's of space. Distinctive style. Quality of construction. Long distance between fill ups. Comfort Seats option awesome. Upgrade mirrors are a must.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt wheel! More sound proofing. Smoother ride in passenger version. AWD option. Stronger interior lights.