Used 2005 Dodge Sprinter Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

Good worker
By Mr. Rodney Long

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I often overload my van- 3,700 to 4,300 is not uncommon- and I still drive 3 mph over the speed limit. It has never dropped below 5 mph of the set cruise on any hill. I abuse it by letting it idle for 10 to 38 hours at a time in all kinds of weather. With all this I have only had to replace a cam sensor. I use this van to move expedited freight and drive as much as 1,700 miles in one sitting. I get 25.5 mpg with a 4200 lbs load in the back on the east coast from MI to GA. The only complaint I have is the steering while will not tilt and the heater doesn't work well when it very cold out, unless you cover some of the radiator air intake. I couldn't imagine doing my job with out it. I am spoiled

crisp gear changes, great road handling while empty and loaded. barn style doors good down shifts while breaking under load and responsive peppy engine.

they have all been made in the newer models.

lots of problems
By tim k

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

bought 2 sprinters 04 and 05 the electicals real bad and the brakes and tires are under sized . door hinges and hardware stink as well. cant wait till its all over, even stopped making the truck payments to daimler and contacted ntsb, national traffic safety board. trucks with inoperative ligts and flashers are a real hazard on our roads. dealers and chrysler are clueless, should have had mercedes make the truck as well as the engine

diesel particulate filter
By floyd

I recently had new glow plugs and a new head installed on my 2005. Ever since I had smells coming from the engine. I was told that the rear doors needed adjustment, and the fuel tank drained. I did both. I still have symptoms of light headeness,dizziness and nausea. Has anyone heard about diesel particulate filter problems. I do know that the health related problems can become chronic.

Great van
By Jason the plumber

I love this van. It got 26 mpg on the way back from Ohio dealer to Grand Ledge, Mi while unloaded. It carries all my tools and plumbing fittings with ease and gets 23 mpg around town fully loaded. The biggest asset is the high roof which gives my back alot of relief when loading heavy old water heaters, etc. I have to drive 50mi to get it serviced and am worried if it will start well in the Michigan winters, but even so it is truly a superior van.

High roof. Gas mileage. Incredible storage capacity. Handles like a Mercedes.

Mercedes should not have changed this design. The new vehicle (2007 on) is bigger all the way around and as a result is slightly less efficient than vans from 02 to 06. Even so, it would be a better work van than the domestics. Ford transit full size diesel looks great, but may never happen here.

motor explosion
By hemi

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had vehicle for 6 months. The transmission rumbles real bad. 3 tranny flushes and still no good. Also it has no tranny dipstick so you need to find one for yourself. Also it uses extremely high dollar tranny fluid. After rumbling down the road, the motor decides to spit a piston. No warning just quit. It is now in the process of being repaired. This will be very expensive. They take you to the meat grinder for parts. I will say this vehicle is scrap and no one should buy one.

none