2005 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:
Good worker
By Mr. Rodney Long on 08/29/10 09:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I often overload my van- 3,700 to 4,300 is not uncommon- and I still drive 3 mph over the speed limit. It has never dropped below 5 mph of the set cruise on any hill. I abuse it by letting it idle for 10 to 38 hours at a time in all kinds of weather. With all this I have only had to replace a cam sensor. I use this van to move expedited freight and drive as much as 1,700 miles in one sitting. I get 25.5 mpg with a 4200 lbs load in the back on the east coast from MI to GA. The only complaint I have is the steering while will not tilt and the heater doesn't work well when it very cold out, unless you cover some of the radiator air intake. I couldn't imagine doing my job with out it. I am spoiled

lots of problems
By tim k on 11/16/09 18:29 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

bought 2 sprinters 04 and 05 the electicals real bad and the brakes and tires are under sized . door hinges and hardware stink as well. cant wait till its all over, even stopped making the truck payments to daimler and contacted ntsb, national traffic safety board. trucks with inoperative ligts and flashers are a real hazard on our roads. dealers and chrysler are clueless, should have had mercedes make the truck as well as the engine

diesel particulate filter
By floyd on 10/17/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

I recently had new glow plugs and a new head installed on my 2005. Ever since I had smells coming from the engine. I was told that the rear doors needed adjustment, and the fuel tank drained. I did both. I still have symptoms of light headeness,dizziness and nausea. Has anyone heard about diesel particulate filter problems. I do know that the health related problems can become chronic.

Great van
By Jason the plumber on 11/06/08 15:06 PM (PST)

I love this van. It got 26 mpg on the way back from Ohio dealer to Grand Ledge, Mi while unloaded. It carries all my tools and plumbing fittings with ease and gets 23 mpg around town fully loaded. The biggest asset is the high roof which gives my back alot of relief when loading heavy old water heaters, etc. I have to drive 50mi to get it serviced and am worried if it will start well in the Michigan winters, but even so it is truly a superior van.

motor explosion
By hemi on 08/12/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had vehicle for 6 months. The transmission rumbles real bad. 3 tranny flushes and still no good. Also it has no tranny dipstick so you need to find one for yourself. Also it uses extremely high dollar tranny fluid. After rumbling down the road, the motor decides to spit a piston. No warning just quit. It is now in the process of being repaired. This will be very expensive. They take you to the meat grinder for parts. I will say this vehicle is scrap and no one should buy one.

Lumbar damage
By jon on 04/13/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

If you drive this vehicle for more than 1 year as a work vehicle 8-16 hr a day because of its design you will have back problem because of the rough and the way the seating are made. I know I am one who wish I never drove one for a work vehicle. There are no safety test on this vehicle crash test or no safety data

Driving can be fun
By jmiller on 08/28/07 20:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Most of my driving is on the interstate highways. I have no trouble passing other vehicles as long as I don't try going over 85 mph. It won't. I love it's small turning radias. U- turns are no problem. And it's great being up so high that you can see over most of the other traffic. I am very happy with my cargo van.

Lemon?
By Mike on 04/11/07 07:28 AM (PDT)

In 11 months of ownership, I've had the A/C compressor replaced, the engine control sensor replaced, had the vehicle towed once because it wouldn't start, and now when I turn on my right turn signal, my dash lights flash. When my headlights are on, the right turn signal doesn't blink. I've also got rust spots coming through the side panels.

Dodge Sprinter
By Bob on 01/24/06 21:17 PM (PST)

I bought a new Sprinter van 158 in. Wheelbase (cargo) right after hurricane Wilma flooded my step van. I brought it home started building shelves and tool storage for my business. Just got it done and the transmission goes out. After almost three weeks I have it back with a whole new transmission and I hope it stays running. It's a nice truck, low power, but I guess thatÂ’s what you trade to get good mileage. The whole truck is thin sheet metal, I mean thin ! And there is rust showing on the roof of mine with less than 1000 miles on it. Also there is no frame unibody to save weight and improve mileage but not longevity in my opinion. It does go down the road good. It was noisy until I put in a bulkhead

Fun until it breaks
By Big Silver Box on 10/01/05 18:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

It is fun to drive, handles great and pulls my 4k pound camper ok, and until 2 weeks ago I couldn't say enough good things about it. Then one morning it would not start, and to make a long story short, it has been sitting at the dealers now for 2 weeks waiting for a part. The part, they tell me is on national back order, which means that there isn't one in the whole country! How in the world can they sell these trucks as work vehicles and not have parts for them? If you use your van to make your living you may want to wait untill they get their parts network straightened out before you buy one. All the good featurs of this van mean nothing if you can't fix it asap when it breaks down.