2004 Dodge Sprinter Van - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:
25oo dodge sprinter
By splinter4 on 11/09/11 16:43 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought a 2004 Dodge Sprinter new in 2006, had 500 miles on it. This is the most un reliable vehicle I have ever owned, always something, front ac unit condenser, burned out 2 alternators, driveshaft carrier bearing, then the driveshaft, viabration in driveline somewhere, now the rear end or wheel bearing or ? sounds like I have mud grips on rear. I have driven to 130K miles, I expected to get 250K but I cant stand this pos. Costs a fortune to maintain. I heard that UPS crushed their Sprinters at 120K miles because of maintenance and downtime.

Problems, problems, problems!
By Fitz454 on 10/17/08 11:14 AM (PDT)

Vehicle is continually in the shop and because there are very few Dodge dealerships that service it I have to drive it halfway across the state every time something goes wrong. I have had transmission leaks, transponder issues, turn signal issues, engine trouble lights, surface rust that they won't repair under warranty, AC pulley fell off, O2 sensor failures, etc. It has been so bad that they don't even list all the repairs on the sheet when I bring it in anymore. Fortunately I got the extended warranty but it's going to run out soon. I've read forums where people are having similar issues but every time I bring it to the dealership they say they never heard of these problems.

best van
By John on 04/07/08 14:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 High Roof 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've owned all the other vans and this is by far the best, handling, fun to drive, mileage,21-22,and reliability. Go ahead and test drive one and you will see, Mercedes, thats what it really is, has the best idea

Great Van
By 04 sprinter on 10/17/07 07:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 High Roof 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This van is the nicest one I've ever owned. Had 4 conversion vans before and this plain passenger van is the best. Great long distance comfort, great mileage, 21-22, dependable and durable. Slight trouble with the paint job but from talking to other Sprinter owners this is an exception. Don't be fooled the '07s don't get the mpg's, only about 16

Great concept, iffy execution
By sdeb on 02/22/07 14:54 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This vehicle fills a niche in the market. If you want an economic diesel vehicle that you can use for hauling stuff or hauling family, then this is only thing out there that fits the bill. A mini-van can't tow, a pickup won't seat 7 people and a giant SUV won't get 24 mpg. It has an amazing payload, decent towing capacity, loads of interior space and is fairly economic (although diesel is pricey). The van has distinctive styling on the outside. The interior is spartan - rubber floors and plastic. As a van, it uses rear leaf springs and tends to be bouncy when unladen. That said, it's not uncomfortable, particularly on highways. Sort of noisy if you're not into diesel rumble.

A sight for sore eyes and big families
By BZ on 11/24/05 23:27 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I picked the vehicle up in Arkansas and drove it home to NC. The Sprinter was too inviting to cruise @ 82MPH(the preset limit). With a new engine I averaged about 20-21MPG and expect that to increase with seasoning. The family loves it! It's big enough to fit all the kids, their friends, strollers, etc. and make all the soccer moms drool. The Sprinter is easy to pick out anywhere (parking lots, highway, field of SUV's, city streets) If you buy one for non-commercial duty be prepared to answer many questions from inquiring minds. The questions are a whole lot better than rants and protests if this were a gas guzzling SUV of equal proportion. Perfect for biodiesel after warranty expires

Sprinter Passenger Van, misunderstood
By KenB on 11/02/05 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this for my family, and so are many other people now... but my dealer wants this passenger van to be a commercial vehicle and for me ot believe that rattles (mis-adjusted doors mostly) are normal. I fixed some of the problem myself after they told me it couldn't really be expected not to bang and rattle. Also had the common transmission leak (TSB was issued), and central locking system was beyond quirky and had to have the central locking timer module replaced (now is quirky, but according to the way the owners manual says it should be). Over all, this van is great!!! Roomy, quiet, comfortable, solid, peppy, and frugal on fuel. 20 miles per gallon of diesel, better when broken in.

Great design, so-so execution & support
By Ken Baker on 10/17/05 19:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Solid chassis with nice German styling and seats, the plain-but-functional well-executed variety. Fairly small diesel a real gem, getting the vehicle up and running quickly and smoothly. Downshifts: excellent for braking and respond correctly by not over-revving the willing little engine. Quiet when all the parts are tightly in place, it has a tendency to loosen its door stops and find the worst in choppy or pothole laden roads, but stays stable- driving. Dealer adjustments? They started refusing (right away)to get to the bottom of the many rattles: made service-after-sale = JOKE. Central locking: cryptic concept from Germany for hocuspocus, remote lock EQ unlock NE lock. Leaky Trans@3K miles

Great work and family van
By timgo on 09/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Sprinter Van 2500 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Fun to drive, comfortable, and quite handy. I travel across the US at least four times each year on business. The Sprinter is comfortable, handles well on the freeway and in town, and does not suffer from the top-heaviness it looks like it should. I find I can load it up but not load it down. When full of friends, family, and all types of luggage, the Sprinter behaves as it's named. But the rare time I load my Sprinter down with building supplies and concrete sacks, my Sprinter lacks a few muscles in the power department.

a big van that drives like a car.
By w. meiss on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

purchaqsed the vehicle for retirement travel and insulated it to reduce the box noise. added 2 side and 2 rear windows which are available from after market vendors. added 2 very confortable passenger seats and a XM radio receiver with amplifier and speakers for good quality sounds. there still room for my raft/motor and fishing gear. added decals on sides and rear of a fisherman with rod in one hand and a can of beer in the other. it cruises very well up the mountains of no. ca., not good in the dirt. became the family and friends favorite method of transportation. dealership could do the 10000 mile service quicker. very happy with van.